Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4081 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

I find the debates tiresome, nobody really answers a question they just trot out a well worn phrase, such as "I will always stand up for Canadian jobs" instead of  "I did interfere and I'm sorry."

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4082 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

it’s fun to count how many times they say “middle class” like that’s the goal we should aim for. and “families”. never in our history have we had such a low percentage of traditional families. but maybe it’s still the goal there too.

#4083 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

it's a bit hard to tell but it looks like the munk debate might go ahead without trudeau.  other reports had/have said it would only go if he accepted.

https://twitter.com/munkdebate

#4084 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

it's a bit hard to tell but it looks like the munk debate might go ahead without trudeau.  other reports had/have said it would only go if he accepted.

https://twitter.com/munkdebate

I think they should put a podium up for him with his name there and leave it empty the whole debate...that would send a message

• lanforod likes this

#4085 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

This is audio from a radio campaign by the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting decrying the influence of foreign (especially American) media and social media on this country.

audio:  https://youtu.be/S_Pz1TOZ-58

it's very unclear who this group is:

https://friends.ca/organization/

https://friends.ca/o...ion/governance/

or how they come to the 364,000 canadians that they say are part of the group.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#4086 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

andrew coyne's article today is well-written.

Andrew Coyne: Two parties, one choice, or is it two choices, one party?
Seldom have the choices between so stark, or the stakes so high. The two main parties, after all, could not be more different

https://nationalpost...oices-one-party

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2019 - 11:33 AM.

#4087 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:51 PM

The first National Leaders Debate – hosted by Citytv and Maclean’s – is on Thu., Sept. 12 at 5:00 p.m. PT. Tune in to the broadcast on Citytv, at Citynews.ca, Facebook: ow.ly/g46r50w1aZA, @CityNews and YouTube: ow.ly/HlMA50w1aZz

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2019 - 11:52 PM.

#4088 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:22 AM

• vortoozo likes this

#4089 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

A family member wrote and posted this on Facebook:

Here is the speech I think Andrew Scheer should deliver:

"You may think I'm boring.

You won’t find me on the cover of RollingStone or GQ; my family and I will not be splashed across the pages of Vogue.

You won’t find me sashaying across India decked out in all the costumery of that fine country.

You won’t find me snapping selfies with every human being on the planet.

You won’t find me exchanging lusty air kisses with an adoring Melania Trump.

You won’t find me lounging on the private island of the Aga Khan.

You won’t find me tweeting millions upon millions of your hard-earned tax dollars to comedians like Trevor Noah.

You won’t find me jogging shirtless through the streets of Toronto - or any other city for that matter. Believe me, you don’t want to see me with my shirt off. (I doubt that Winston Churchill doffed his shirt in public either, by the way, and he was a pretty good leader.)

But nor will you find me undercutting and browbeating female members of my cabinet for standing on principle and abiding by our laws.

You won’t find me shamelessly advocating leniency for corrupt companies that bribe murderous foreign dictators and supply their brutal sons with cash and prostitutes in exchange for construction contracts.

You won’t find me destroying the careers of decorated military leaders like Vice-Admiral Mark Norman to further naked political self-interest.

You won’t find me demonizing our great Canadian energy industry, the wellspring of so much of our wealth and prosperity.

You won’t find me openly admiring China’s “basic dictatorship” or the illustrious career of Fidel Castro.

Where you will find me, should you elect me as your Prime Minister next month, is working tirelessly, with my shirt on, to help all Canadians get ahead.

I’m no Winston Churchill. But nor am I Stephen Harper, or Doug Ford. I am my own man. I may not be exciting, or hip, or “woke”, but I am honest, competent, and transparent, and I have great love for our country.

I want the very best for Canada. I want to restore sanity to our public finances, to return civility to our political discourse, to put an end to public corruption. I want to provide responsible stewardship for our environment in a way that makes sense for all of us. I want to restore Canada’s standing in the eyes of the world as a serious, honourable, and respected democracy. I want all Canadians, not just the wealthy and well-connected, to finally get ahead.

None of those goals are boring. They are, I think, quite exciting, and I’m betting that you think so too. I’m betting that you’ve had your fill of ethics violations, divisive identity politics, fake feminism, and empty virtue signaling.

Don’t buy into the Liberals’ ridiculous fear-mongering on social issues. I’ve said clearly and repeatedly that I will not re-open public debates on same-sex marriage and abortion. And I’m a man of my word.

But nor will I muzzle my caucus, as Justin Trudeau has done with his own. We live in a free and democratic country, and freedom of expression and freedom of religion lie at its foundation.

I find it a bit rich that I’m being taken to task for my Roman Catholic faith by a Prime Minister who is himself Roman Catholic and who is on record as both staunchly opposed to abortion and affronted by those who would question his faith.

Like many, many other Canadians I hold personal religious beliefs. But they are my own. I am running to be Prime Minister of a democracy, not a theocracy; I will be Prime Minister for all Canadians, regardless of colour or creed or background or sexual orientation.

Fellow Canadians, on the 21st of October you have a clear choice. If having a celebrity Prime Minister is important to you, if glitz and glam trump ethics and competence, then choose to move “forward” with the Liberals.

But if, like me, you care deeply about our country; if you care about capability in governance; if you care about the rule of law; if you care about getting ahead: then choose differently.

Say no to "sorry not sorry".

Choose “boring not boring”.

Choose Conservative."
  • Mike K., rjag, kjf and 2 others like this

#4090 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, some good points there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4091 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:56 AM

that's pretty good.  

#4092 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

Agree, good stuff there.

I’ve never understood what all the fuss is about, I don’t find the guy to be that attractive anyhow.

Even if I did, I wouldn’t vote for him anyway. The guy is nothing short of embarrassing. “Peoplekind”

Edited by Belleprincess, 08 September 2019 - 07:46 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#4093 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

May getting some attention for not trying to muzzle Green candidates who are pro-lifers. Just in case anyone was assuming that Green candidates are by default ultra-progressive and such.

#4094 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

May getting some attention for not trying to muzzle Green candidates who are pro-lifers. Just in case anyone was assuming that Green candidates are by default ultra-progressive and such.

A good quote from the interview: "I don't have the power as leader of the Green Party to whip votes, nor do I have the power to silence an MP... And frankly, I think that's a good thing because democracy will be healthier when constituents know that their MP works for them and not their party leader."

via https://www.cbc.ca/n...ebate-1.5273722

#4095 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Which is at odds with being a “leader.” If May doesn’t “lead” then what is her role?

Trudeau is fervently anti-abortion and pro-life. His views in that regard have absolutely no bearing on the collective views of Liberal MPs, but he still has to lead a party and move it forward as a cohesive unit. Which is what May does, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4096 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

The Rhinocerous Party is running Maxime Bernier against Maxime Bernier https://www.lapresse...ime-bernier.php

• tedward and Victoria Watcher like this

#4097 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:20 PM

Conservative majority in Manitoba tonight.

#4098 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

Zero for the Greens.

Know it all.

#4099 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:41 AM

Article in the globe and mail this morning that the RCMP is being blocked by Ottawa from investigating into SNC lavalin.

So apparently Trudeau abruptly cut his trip to the hurricane damage short and rushed back to Ottawa to unexpectedly call the election with like a days notice when everyone had said he'd wait till the deadline. And the theory is he did so because the RCMP were about the announce an investigation into SNC lavalin but have a policy against doing politically sensitive investigations during an election.
  • rjag likes this

#4100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:19 AM

Good grief.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users