Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,789 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

#4142 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

Maclean's did put up an empty podium for Trudeau tonight. Unfortunately no one watched it. The live stream had about 9k views.

#4143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:16 AM

I suspect the quotes were the real treasure here. The images of the empty podium will start making their rounds next week.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:59 AM

Maclean's did put up an empty podium for Trudeau tonight. Unfortunately no one watched it. The live stream had about 9k views.

It was on CTV though so I suspect many folks watched it on TV. I think that what the low streaming number implies is that the younger demographic is disengaged as they usually are.

#4145 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,789 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:15 AM

if the stream is archived somewhere it’ll keep getting more views.

#4146 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:24 AM

I had the misfortune of watching some CBC News yesterday. The bias is as strong and blatant as ever. They had reporters at the three main leaders campaign stops, and for Jagmeet and Trudeau, they basically reported on where they were and what promises they were making. Just the content of the campaign stop basically. For Scheer they made no mention of what Scheer was actually talking about (making parental leave tax free) and instead they said Scheer was on the defensive and talked about the current liberal attack on Scheer, complete with showing liberal tweets on the screen. Of course, there have been equivalent attacks on Trudeau by conservatives that he was asked about at his stop such as skipping the debate, but the CBC doesn't seem to care.
  • rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#4147 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

Scheer has said he will bring back the transit tax credit which was a pretty sweet tax credit in my opinion

#4148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

It was, and its removal angered transit users, for sure.

I think we all know CBC is the voice of the Liberal Party. The SNC Lavalin scandal removed what thin veil was in place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4149 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

It was on CTV though so I suspect many folks watched it on TV. I think that what the low streaming number implies is that the younger demographic is disengaged as they usually are.

Or that the organizers failed to properly promote the debate or that it would be live streamed in the first place.

FWIW, the archived stream is up to almost 24K views now on YouTube. https://www.youtube....h?v=-LVf2CvuW8s

• Mike K. likes this

#4150 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:13 AM

Or that the organizers failed to properly promote the debate or that it would be live streamed in the first place.

Probably this. This thread is the only place I even heard it mentioned until after the fact.
  • Mike K. and Jackerbie like this

#4151 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:14 AM

I watched the debate on CityTV...was pretty good! Interesting how most of the commentators felt that Singh gained the most traction. I suppose he did a good job of distinguishing himself from the Greens.

But my God...Elizabeth May has been in politics far too long to not know how to debate. She barely ever gets a word in. Scheer and Singh at least keep talking until everyone lets them speak, but May just quietly tries to interject unsuccessfully all the time.

Scheer certainly did what he was there to do, even without Trudeau present. Basically turned every answer into why the Cons are a better choice than the Libs, why the Libs and Trudeau have failed at this and that...essentially ignored that the Greens and NDP are even running (and them not being a threat, that's fair enough). So he certainly did what he went there to do quite successfully.

• Wayne likes this

#4152 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

Also last night was a Dems debate in the US and everyone (including Canadians) on my timeline that mentioned politics was talking about that so if they did hear about a political debate they probably thought it was referring to that.
  • Mike K. and Hotel Mike like this

#4153 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

Out of curiosity has anyone seen any signs for a party other than Green or Conservative around the CRD? I saw a NDP in the background on a news story but I think it was in Vancouver and nothing from the others.

#4154 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

I've seen a few Conservative signs but not many Liberals. And a couple of days ago Laurel Collins had a big group waving signs at Quadra and Yates outside her office. Mostly young hipster volunteers.

#4155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

I've only seen Green signs so far.

Know it all.

#4156 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:18 PM

Out of curiosity has anyone seen any signs for a party other than Green or Conservative around the CRD? I saw a NDP in the background on a news story but I think it was in Vancouver and nothing from the others.

Saw several Liberal signs yesterday (all small), quite a few Green (all small) and Conservative (a few big ones) signs, no NDP at all.

#4157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

NDP signs are making their rounds now.

Know it all.

#4158 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:32 PM

NDP signs are making their rounds now.

interesting they took so much longer. I saw Green and Conservative going up they day the election was called.

#4159 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

The PPC candidate for Coquitlam was kicked for asking Maxime to denounce racism https://globalnews.c...idate-expelled/

#4160 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

I watched the debate on CityTV...was pretty good! Interesting how most of the commentators felt that Singh gained the most traction. I suppose he did a good job of distinguishing himself from the Greens.

But my God...Elizabeth May has been in politics far too long to not know how to debate. She barely ever gets a word in. Scheer and Singh at least keep talking until everyone lets them speak, but May just quietly tries to interject unsuccessfully all the time.

Scheer certainly did what he was there to do, even without Trudeau present. Basically turned every answer into why the Cons are a better choice than the Libs, why the Libs and Trudeau have failed at this and that...essentially ignored that the Greens and NDP are even running (and them not being a threat, that's fair enough). So he certainly did what he went there to do quite successfully.

It was interesting in the fact that the questions were direct and tough to deflect.

Singh was better than I expected. Scrappy! But needs to be briefed prior or better prepared. Could be a rookie thing.

May? Every question came back to climate. Abortion, answer climate. Foreign policy, answer climate. Or delusional, SNC sentence, community hours?!

Scheer explained himself well in regards to policy (when not skirting), but did not look likeable.

Tough to say if one has what it takes to impress Quebec/Ontario enough to become a new PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users