• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:42 PM

From a CBC exposé on the transit pass tax rebate:

Those getting the maximum benefit had a stable job and rode public transit every day. In turn, that meant they most likely lived in an urban centre, where public transit is concentrated and the cost of living is higher. In other words, they were relatively wealthy.

"So we were giving most of the money to people who already had a lot of it," Chandler told CBC News.

Is anyone else confused by the above? Is the CBC saying if you live in a city, and ride the bus, you’re wealthy? But Mayor Helps says those who live in the city and rely on transit are not wealthy, and stand to benefit from subsidized transit passes.

We’re suddenly at an impasse are we not? So who’s correct here?

- https://www.cbc.ca/n...check-1.5282974

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4202 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:11 PM

The left can't stand that this isn't supposed to be some social engineering policy, its just a helpful tax cut for working class city commuters.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#4203 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

Scheer is in Parksville tonight

#4204 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

I think there are very few wealthy people who take transit. It's why it makes the news when folks see Keanu Reeves on the subway; its just unusual.

The transit tax credit helps the middle class the most. People making between 20 and 90k or so, who take transit.

#4205 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:03 AM

Maxime Bernier has been invited to the leaders debates

#4206 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:24 AM

I think the transit credit was a good idea, I also think the tax credit for kids arts and physical activity was a good idea.  

• LJ likes this

#4207 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

What’s incorrect about it?

Because transit ridership basically remained flat, which means few cars came off the road. How is that leading to lower emissions?

#4208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

I wouldn’t put much faith into a single study. We also don’t know what impact the credit had on ridership retention.

I suspect if you really drilled down into that study you’d find that it was far from precise. It concluded that primarily the wealthy ride transit in cities because they live in cities and because they live in cities they are wealthy, so the credit just helped the wealthy. That’s bonkers and counterintuitive, I’m sure you would agree.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:14 PM

mad max has been invited to the debate.

#4210 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

this cbc issues-by-party recap is pretty thorough.

https://newsinteract...arty-platforms/

#4211 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

Ezra Levant is the president of The Rebel News Network Ltd.

It’s become standard practice for the Liberal government to refuse to accredit me or other reporters from my company, Rebel News, at press conferences. Other right-leaning reporters are banned, too. But, at a recent press conference at Ottawa’s National Arts Centre, during a visit by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, there I was, smiling at Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland from the front row.

I had been smuggled into the room by the former director of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.

Okay – that sounds more dramatic than it really was. The former director of the CIA is Mr. Pompeo himself. And he didn’t really smuggle me in. But he did let me walk into the news conference as part of his own delegation, which included U.S. journalists. And I doubt he told Ms. Freeland about it.

That’s just as shocking as if it had really been a CIA operation: The only way I was able to attend a news conference by my own government was with the assistance of a foreign government.

It happened in the summer, too, when Ms. Freeland co-hosted a media freedom conference in London along with her then-British counterpart, Jeremy Hunt.

There, Ms. Freeland gave a speech and invited journalists to a question-and-answer session. But her staff singled out two of the seven reporters who showed up and told them they would not be welcome.

https://www.theglobe...even-the-rebel/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 September 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#4212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:49 PM

That media freedom thing in the UK was epically trolled by Rebel. I may not be a fan of much of their work, but I don’t doubt Levant’s dedication to journalism, as brash as it can be by Canadian standards.

Keeping him out of media events just looks bad on the Libs and plays into his persona/coverage.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#4213 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

Has anyone in Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke seen any NDP campaigning at all? I've seen a couple NDP signs outside the riding and NDP is the only major party (along with PPC I guess) to have not come to the door yet. That analysis someone posted a few pages back said the riding was going to be a close race between NDP/Liberal/Green but Green seems to be the only ones actually putting effort in.

#4214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:21 PM

I’ve seen NDP signs along Langford Parkway but that’s it so far.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

Know it all.

#4215 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:54 PM

I was on Saltspring Island this past weekend and saw a lot of Elizabeth May signs up over there.

Also noticed today that the liberal candidate seems to have set up shop at 2155 Dowler Place, just north of Pembroke.

#4216 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

I think it’s pretty firmly Green territory over here. I think she had greater than half the total votes.

Matt

#4217 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:17 AM

I've still yet to see any local NDP campaigning of any kind, anywhere.  It's not like them to be so slow off the mark; they're usually pretty efficient with this sort of thing (or are good at making it appear so, which from the voters' perspective is kinda the same).

Curious.

#4218 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

I think it’s pretty firmly Green territory over here. I think she had greater than half the total votes.

Matt

Crazy when you consider the Green platform is free education, free meds, free income, etc, etc and the people who will wind up paying for it are the 'rich' who live on the gulf islands!

• Matt R. likes this

#4219 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

Has anyone in Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke seen any NDP campaigning at all? I've seen a couple NDP signs outside the riding and NDP is the only major party (along with PPC I guess) to have not come to the door yet. That analysis someone posted a few pages back said the riding was going to be a close race between NDP/Liberal/Green but Green seems to be the only ones actually putting effort in.

Must be a pain in the ass to campaign in that riding, seeing as one day you'll be in Sooke and the next you're on Quadra. It was my riding before I moved to the mainland.

• Mike K. likes this

#4220 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

WYnQYRt.jpg

• jasmineshinga, A Girl is No one and Cats4Hire like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users