Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4241 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

I doubt that anyone these days would even have an Arabian Nights party, particularly at a school. Times have changed.

We always hope people will grow with the times. I care about what people authentically are now.

#4242 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

I agree that it's a completely ridiculous thing to get angry over and that it's totally harmless and a pretty funny costume.

That said, I LOVE seeing trudeau get sacrificed on the altar that he helped build

How many conservatives or republicans have lost their jobs over blackface or similar acts from 30-40 years ago?! I don't agree with it but should should there be a double standard now?

• Wayne and A Girl is No one like this

#4243 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,986 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:17 PM

because conservatives don’t circle the outrage mob. we are mostly busy at work and with our big traditional families. no time.
  • rjag likes this

#4244 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

"Hoisted with his own petard" is appropriate here

There is a certain irony to the hypocrisy of the Liberal Party and their claims of racism against others when the real racist was at the head of their table

#4245 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

Look at the hand.
  • Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

#4246 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

How is dressing like another race being racist at a theme party?

What am I missing?

#4247 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:07 PM

By 2001 working as a teacher mr. sensitivity radar should have been able to figure it out. Can argue if it was racist or not but it was not PC in 2001

#4248 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

How many conservatives or republicans have lost their jobs over blackface or similar acts from 30-40 years ago?! I don't agree with it but should should there be a double standard now

we continue to apply today's standard's to what the standards were in the past ... if you agree you were wrong and made a mistake then that should be good enough. 

Problem is if you won't come out and say I WAS WRONG then it should stick.

#4249 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:49 PM

Hmmm tough for Sir John A McDonald to apologize in 2018 though...

#4250 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

“When I was in high school I dressed up at a talent show and sang ‘Day O’ with makeup on.”

- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, September 18, 2019 https://www.dailywir...u-ryan-saavedra

So what’s next? Trudeau as Charlie Chan?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4251 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

Hmmm tough for Sir John A McDonald to apologize in 2018 though...

Exactly! ... we took today's standards and applied them to a world that was very different 150 years ago. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#4252 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t cool to slather black shoe polish on your face in 2001, though. That would have been pretty risqué for most social settings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4253 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t cool to slather black shoe polish on your face in 2001, though. That would have been pretty risqué for most social settings.

Nah. It was truly just funny/not a big deal until the world lost its mind circa 2010ish. Its really not a big deal.

But again, I hope Trudeau suffers for it

#4254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, I’m not so sure. That wouldn’t have flown in my social circles and I ran with a pretty easy going crew.

Know it all.

#4255 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

I saw one (maybe two) Eaquimalt-Saanich-Sooke Conservative candidate signs for Pewarchuck in Vic West on Caron’s turf (Victoria). The Esquimalt riding doesn’t begin until you cross the border into Esquimalt.

Could that be an issue for the candidate whose signs are not in his riding?

Know it all.

#4256 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:39 PM

Nah. It was truly just funny/not a big deal until the world lost its mind circa 2010ish. Its really not a big deal.
But again, I hope Trudeau suffers for it

What did you do in 2009?

#4257 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:43 PM

To be fair rubbing that much shoe polish into your skin should dramatically reduce your lifespan.

Edited by todd, 18 September 2019 - 08:43 PM.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#4258 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:54 AM

I saw one (maybe two) Eaquimalt-Saanich-Sooke Conservative candidate signs for Pewarchuck in Vic West on Caron’s turf (Victoria). The Esquimalt riding doesn’t begin until you cross the border into Esquimalt.

Could that be an issue for the candidate whose signs are not in his riding?

I don't think there is a legal issue. Could it cause problems with voters? Nah.

#4259 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:13 AM

Global News is piling on this morning with a Justin Trudeau blackface video from his high school years.

I'll vote for the first opposition politician who says

"One of our goals in a multicultural society is for all people to learn about other cultures, to grow and to change their behaviours as they interact with them. In my interactions with Justin Trudeau over the last few years I believe he has grown and learned to be more sensitive and fully embrace other cultures."

• rmpeers and DustMagnet like this

#4260 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:23 AM

I don't think there is a legal issue. Could it cause problems with voters? Nah.

I don't think it is either. Up at Mackenzie and Gordon Head there's two different Conservative signs (one is for that riding and I think the other is the E-S-S one) and they've been there pretty much as soon as they could.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users