5846 replies to this topic

#4261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:25 AM

Ok that’s good. Wasn’t sure about that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4262 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:34 AM

There are now three blackface incidents related to Trudeau.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

Out of all of the leaders’ takes, Singh’s feels so honest, raw and sincere. His concern is for the children who will see this and recognize their Prime Minister was so callous towards people of colour, so diminutive towards them that he jokingly painted his face and hands to add a hilarious racial undertone to his costume. 2001 was two decades beyond when there was a social license to pull this sort of thing. Want to dress up like Aladdin? Go ahead. But to take it as far as painting yourself a ridiculous dark shade of black to super-emphasize and draw attention to a racial undertone of the costume? That’s whack.

1 in 1,000 would be callous enough to take it that far. And 1 in a thousand among them would have a habit of doing it repeteadly, but that’s our PM. How many more instances of this behaviour are there? What else did he do as the son of a wealthy, high profile father on his journey of so-called liberation from beneath his father’s shadow?

Singh: when I was growing up I fought racists, I dealt with them myself, I fought back. I got a message from a friend who reminded me there were a lot of people out there who couldn’t fight back. It’s going to hurt them to see this, it’s going to hurt them a lot.
  • rjag, tedward and bluefox like this

Know it all.

#4264 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:54 AM

Out of all of the leaders’ takes, Singh’s feels so honest, raw and sincere. His concern is for the children who will see this and recognize their Prime Minister was so callous towards people of colour, so diminutive towards them that he jokingly painted his face and hands to add a hilarious racial undertone to his costume. 2001 was two decades beyond when there was a social license to pull this sort of thing. Want to dress up like Aladdin? Go ahead. But to take it as far as painting yourself a ridiculous dark shade of black to super-emphasize and draw attention to a racial undertone of the costume? That’s whack.

1 in 1,000 would be callous enough to take it that far. And 1 in a thousand among them would have a habit of doing it repeteadly, but that’s our PM. How many more instances of this behaviour are there? What else did he do as the son of a wealthy, high profile father on his journey of so-called liberation from beneath his father’s shadow?

Singh: when I was growing up I fought racists, I dealt with them myself, I fought back. I got a message from a friend who reminded me there were a lot of people out there who couldn’t fight back. It’s going to hurt them to see this, it’s going to hurt them a lot.

I guarantee you beyond a shadow of doubt that Singh has made jokes about white people in his life that make Trudeau's costume pale in comparison.

Edited by RFS, 19 September 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#4265 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:01 AM

Unless Singh dressed up like a white man at a company dance, somehow I doubt it.

Look, people say stupid stuff to get a rise out of their friends. But very few go to the extremes Trudeau did. Look at his coworkers. All partaking in the event, but they’re not outrageous about it. He’s the odd man out and that’s probably because he’s used to be being the odd man out, the son of a wealthy father who grew up in a world we can’t even conceive of. And when you grow up in that world the rules that apply to you and I no longer apply, so you grope reporters at music festivals, you put on blackface at-a-school-dinner. What’s next?
  • bluefox likes this

Know it all.

#4266 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

Unless Singh dressed up like a white man at a company dance, somehow I doubt it.

Look, people say stupid stuff to get a rise out of their friends all the time. But very few go to the extremes Trudeau did. Look at his coworkers. All partaking in the event, but they’re not outrageous about it. He’s the odd man out.

Nah. In the real world no one cares. Only UVic, Ben issit types. I think you've been in Victoria for too long.

#4267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:11 AM

Are you from Blackface, Saskatchewan or something? I’ve never met a person who’s ever done something like that. Don’t know where you’re from, but in the real world most people don’t need to be the centre of attention with outrageous acts.
  • tedward and bluefox like this

Know it all.

#4268 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

Global News is piling on this morning with a Justin Trudeau blackface video from his high school years.

I'll vote for the first opposition politician who says

"One of our goals in a multicultural society is for all people to learn about other cultures, to grow and to change their behaviours as they interact with them. In my interactions with Justin Trudeau over the last few years I believe he has grown and learned to be more sensitive and fully embrace other cultures."

that’s not gonna happen. but Maxime already said he’s nit racist. just a huge hypocrite.

#4269 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:33 AM

but Maxime already said he’s nit racist. just a huge hypocrite.

Nailed it
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#4270 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

The SNC affair already showed him to be a huge hypocrite. What was left of his persona as the ultra-woke and ultra-progressive candidate has completely evaporated. There is no doubt now that he's a walking contradiction.

But none of that matters, because going by the responses online Trudeau's supporters appear equally as hypocritical as he is. At lunch they were bashing Scheer for his religion-laced comments about same-sex marriage from 2005, by dinner they were reciting biblical passages about forgiveness related to Trudeau in blackface. Hypocrisy? Oh, there's plenty.

Trudeau was never fit to be a prime minister and he's not only proven that while prime minister, but also through his poor judgement and decisions as a grown man who had yet to pursue a political career.

• rjag, bluefox and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

#4271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

Trudeau's pre-Alladin days.

IMG_5046.jpg

Know it all.

#4272 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

https://torontosun.c...ist-stereotypes

acting like an ape in blackface now.

#4273 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

Where does the journalism world stand on posting pictures from high school days?

#4274 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:06 AM

probably ok when the subjects are now adults.

#4275 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

Someone did something dumb as a teenager  :whyme:

#4276 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

Are you from Blackface, Saskatchewan or something? I’ve never met a person who’s ever done something like that. Don’t know where you’re from, but in the real world most people don’t need to be the centre of attention with outrageous acts.

There were instances of black and/or brownface pretty much every Halloween when I attended both UBCO ('12) and McGill ('15). You can find some kind of dirt on basically anyone who attended university, really.

#4277 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

People do stupid things. But very few people eventually become the Prime Minister of Canada.

If you're 29-years-old and walking around in blackface at work galas there's something wrong with your sense of right and wrong. Blackface has been taboo/inappropriate for several generations now. Those who rub that make-up on are working hard to be edgy and outrageous, and they do it to get a rise out of people knowing their choices are taboo/inappropriate.

Know it all.

#4278 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

we all did stupid stuff when we were teens that we regret as adults and are embarrassed. I'm not bothered that he did that as a teen but as a 29 year old adult educator....thats a problem.

But as with many things where there is smoke there is fire. Its like getting a ticket for speeding...thats just the time you were caught, you didnt get caught 99 other times. With JT I believe there will be other situations. 

#4279 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Nah. It was truly just funny/not a big deal until the world lost its mind circa 2010ish. Its really not a big deal.
But again, I hope Trudeau suffers for it

This may possibly help Trudeau in the conservative crowd.

#4280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, don't think so. But the liberals sure have a pickle on their hands.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)