Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4321 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

An all-candidates forum for the Victoria riding is being hosted by the JBNA tomorrow (Monday) evening. I believe it's confirmed that the candidates for all parties will be there.

"In advance, resident questions are welcome: submit to marg.jbna@shaw.ca  

Questions will be grouped by topic and consolidated when there are multiple questions on the same topic."

Attached Images

• 190923 Election Forum.JPG

Edited by Kungsberg, 22 September 2019 - 07:29 AM.

#4322 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

Latest douchebag news:

Anita Vandenbeld @anitavandenbeld
· Sep 13
To the man on Covington who yelled expletives at my volunteer last night at your door: she is 17, it was her first time canvassing. She was excited and nervous and just wants to make a difference. You took away her sparkle and left her rattled and confused. You should be ashamed.

#4323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

What’s the rationale for having a 17-year-old canvass on behalf of a politician for whom they’re not old enough to vote?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4324 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

You're right. Anyone under voting age should shut up and stay home and not get involved in anything until we wise adults give them permission.

• lanforod, shoeflack and Cats4Hire like this

#4325 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

And in response we have this conceited jerk’s nugget:

“Shameful behaviour from ADULTS no less. I came home and found a CONservative leaflet on my door. The young volunteer was putting one on my neighbours door. I went up to her and said “Ya you should take this back” and left it at that. That’s how adults conduct themselves.”

Yeah, an adult fast-walking towards another party’s young volunteer harking “take this back” is so woke and mature.

Lame behaviour all around. But maybe that’s just it. The easily enraged aren’t afraid to take it out on a young person but they’re not so strong when an adult shows up at their door?

Anyways, it’s just a leaflet. Use it to line a litter box or something.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4326 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:54 PM

In my experience liberals, conservatives, and greens are all super civil and polite to one another. Its really just NDP supporters who are massively confrontational and rude.

#4327 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

You're right. Anyone under voting age should shut up and stay home and not get involved in anything until we wise adults give them permission.

Gaslighting kids does them no favours. Politicians love to use kids as political shields, though. That’s not exactly a secret.

Know it all.

#4328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

In my experience liberals, conservatives, and greens are all super civil and polite to one another. Its really just NDP supporters who are massively confrontational and rude.

What has been your experience in this election, in terms of engagement at your door or in the streets?

Nobody has come around to my neighbourhood yet so I haven’t had a chance to chat with any canvassers or candidates.

Know it all.

#4329 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

What has been your experience in this election, in terms of engagement at your door or in the streets?

Nobody has come around to my neighbourhood yet so I haven’t had a chance to chat with any canvassers or candidates.

I haven't had NDP or PPC come yet but the others have been respectful and answered any questions we asked to the best of their ability. Most seemed to just be volunteer while the Liberal candidate's wife and son came for him.

#4330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

Interesting.

If you’re able to recall, how long were these engagements? Like do they feel rushed, or do they make the effort to answer your questions without making you feel like they’re just trying to count down the doors?

Know it all.

#4331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:22 PM

Are the Liberals so tone deaf to actually think assault-style rifles are responsible for the majority of gun murders in Canada? The shootings are overwhelmingly with illegally acquired handguns, some of which are illegal to purchase and own in this country, and not assault-style rifles. We already limit rifles to being semi-automatic and restrict cartridge sizes.

Know it all.

#4332 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

Interesting.

If you’re able to recall, how long were these engagements? Like do they feel rushed, or do they make the effort to answer your questions without making you feel like they’re just trying to count down the doors?

Liberal and Green were probably the longest, maybe 5-8 minutes. Conservative were quicker but I think they got the sense we probably weren't voting for them and wanted to get to someone more likely to convince rather than just trying to get to the next door.

• Mike K. likes this

#4333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:42 AM

May is getting trashed on social media for posting a photo of herself in her local church where she attended a pet blessing service. All stripes and colours are acting the fool. Unreal.

Know it all.

#4334 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:52 AM

what’s the beef? those pet blessing things are quite popular.

#4335 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:58 AM

That she’s a Christian, I guess. People assume that the only candidate who goes to church is Scheer. They have no idea Trudeau is a devout Catholic, they think May is an environmentalist/aethiest and only Singh has the social license to openly discuss his religious beliefs.

Canada in 2019.

Know it all.

#4336 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

We were out for a walk the other evening and I saw two women coming out of a yard. I could see they were wearing purple badges so I made a point of seeing what they said. Jordan Reichert! I came home and closed the drapes, lol.

#4337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

The CPC is also purple. Reichert, I'm sure, doesn't want to appear to be aligned with the CPC.

Know it all.

#4338 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

Are the Liberals so tone deaf to actually think assault-style rifles are responsible for the majority of gun murders in Canada? The shootings are overwhelmingly with illegally acquired handguns, some of which are illegal to purchase and own in this country, and not assault-style rifles. We already limit rifles to being semi-automatic and restrict cartridge sizes.

They're playing to an image, not necessarily facts, in order to win support. It's not tone deaf at all, it's smart campaigning. Just like every other party that takes an image and tries to win voters with some sort of non-issue issue.

Here in Canada, we're inundated with images of mass shootings caused by assault rifles in the US. The people the Liberals are trying to win over with this announcement are the ones whose fear around assault rifles largely comes from what they see on TV in the United States.

I can almost guarantee you that the majority of Canadians have no idea what is or isn't legal in Canada with respect to firearms, but they see assault rifles causing mass casualties in the United States so they think, "hey, that could happen here" without first knowing what is or isn't permitted here. So when the Liberals say what they are about assault-rifles, it wins over that voter's interest.

#4339 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

Yes, they are lying to Canadians and obfuscating the reality of gun crimes in this country.

Assault-style rifles are not killing Canadians. Illegal handguns are. And they know that. They also know there can't stop it without a tough-on-crime approach similar to that of Conservative governments.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#4340 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

Yes, they are lying to Canadians and obfuscating the reality of [insert issue here].

Welcome to election season, where all parties lie/bend reality to try to win over voters!

• Cats4Hire likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)