2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4341 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

The Liberal Party is outright lying, not even bending the truth or making a promise that we're unlikely to see kept. They're telling Canadians a lie, and they are lying about their solution to fix that lie.

Assault-style guns are not killing more Canadians. Putting greater restrictions on them will not solve the rapid rise in gun violence in this country. I'm upset by this, to be honest.

Furthermore, the "assault-style" rifle is literally any rifle with a calibre higher than a 22. It's literally every type of hunting rifle on the market since Canada does not permit the sale of actual assault rifles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4342 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

That she’s a Christian, I guess. People assume that the only candidate who goes to church is Scheer. They have no idea Trudeau is a devout Catholic, they think May is an environmentalist/aethiest and only Singh has the social license to openly discuss his religious beliefs.

Canada in 2019.

May has studied Theology and was training to become a minister at one point in her life. Anyone who thinks that has never bothered to Google her.

#4343 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

Right.

And many haven’t look that deeply into her past, they just make a boat load of assumptions or rely 100% on headlines. It’s the same for the others.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4344 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:27 PM

The mayor of Vancouver is on board with the idea of banning handguns.

Do these folks have any idea what it takes to actually become a legal handgun or AR15 owner?

You have to take a course, apply for a license, go through a background check, and if you want to take your handgun anywhere you need a ATT permit.

Do they really think the clowns on the street are doing all this?

Do they really think the clowns will stop using weapons because there is a municipal ban?

Anything to virtue signal.

• A Girl is No one likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4345 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

Works really well in Chicago. Oh, wait...
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#4346 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

I think they're playing the long game.

If enough cities get on board it puts pressure on the companies to discontinue their civilian battle weapons. Perhaps they'll even go out of business. 

#4347 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:01 AM

The only long game that will solve the rapid rise in gun violence in this country is lengthy incarceration of violent thugs, and that's something the Liberals will never admit to because it's a Conservative talking point.

And what in tarnations is a civilian battle weapon? A stick? A knife? A crowbar?

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#4348 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:17 AM

^Obviously the AR-15 and its variants. Civilian versions of the Army's M-16. Don't pretend you misunderstood my meaning.

• tedward likes this

#4349 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:18 AM

The only long game that will solve the rapid rise in gun violence in this country is lengthy incarceration of violent thugs...

Because as we know, this has been the solution to gun violence in the United States. Oh wait...

• Rob Randall likes this

#4350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

Can you imagine the death rates if America was weak on crime? It would be third-world bad, like South Africa bad.

Rob, an AR-15 is no deadlier than grandpa’s hunting rifle. In fact, grandpa’s hunting rifle likely has a much higher caliber and can cause far, far more damage. Canada already restricts AR-style guns to be semi auto with small cartridges. Yeah, it’s still a Chevy, but while the army uses the Corvette civilians get the Impala. Surely you can appreciate the difference here.

Know it all.

#4351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

Because as we know, this has been the solution to gun violence in the United States. Oh wait...

One thing is for certain, if a thug is behind bars he’s not behind the barrel of a handgun.

Right?

Know it all.

#4352 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:52 AM

Rob, an AR-15 is no deadlier than grandpa’s hunting rifle. In fact, grandpa’s hunting rifle likely has a much higher caliber and can cause far, far more damage. Canada already restricts AR-style guns to be semi auto with small cartridges. Yeah, it’s still a Chevy, but while the army uses the Corvette civilians get the Impala. Surely you can appreciate the difference here.

We're talking speed and volume, not mere calibre. I've used grandpa's hunting rifle and I know exactly how fast and how many rounds you can get off in a given period of time.

• tedward likes this

#4353 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

How did it compare to your experience with an M16?

Know it all.

#4354 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

We know from the war on drugs that bans don’t work. Why are these politicians trying to ban guns on the one hand, and legalizing/decriminalizing drugs on the other? Why would it work from black market guns if it didn’t work for black market drugs

#4355 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

We're talking speed and volume, not mere calibre. I've used grandpa's hunting rifle and I know exactly how fast and how many rounds you can get off in a given period of time.

I really can’t help but laugh about speed and volume :)

We ain’t talking about perms here.

Know it all.

#4356 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

That guy in Vegas wounded 500 people and killed 58. You can't do that with Pappy's .303.

I never shot a semi-automatic, although I did shoot a barely legal short barrel 12 gauge with Super Slugs and that about knocked me down. I laugh watching movies with people running around scoring head shots from 20 yards one-handed. 

Anyway, many of these things and their aftermarket add-ons like bump stocks have no place in our bedroom closets and I support any government initiative that helps make them a relic of the past as futile as it may seem.

Edited by Rob Randall, 24 September 2019 - 10:03 AM.

• tedward likes this

#4357 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

Bump stocks! Now we’re really on a roll with I-read-something-pertaining-to-American-firearms-regulations-and-it-must-apply-to-Canada’s.

Bump stocks are illegal in Canada. They’re already legislated out of our society. They’re prohibited, in other words, and have been for some time and I can assure no law abiding citizen has one hiding in their closet.
  • weirdie likes this

Know it all.

#4358 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,837 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

just add up the dead rabbits at the end of an hour and divide by 60.

#4359 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:50 AM

^Obviously the AR-15 and its variants. Civilian versions of the Army's M-16. Don't pretend you misunderstood my meaning.

Rob the AR-15 thats sold in Canada isnt an assault rifle. Its a semi auto no different than most mainstream hunting rifles with a 5 round clip.

An assault rifle is a rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge, a detachable magazine, and can switch between semi-automatic/fully automatic fire. Assault rifles are currently the standard service rifles in most modern armies.

By strict definition, a firearm must have the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[1][page needed][2][page needed][3][page needed]

Heres a list of actual 'assault rifles' Please let me know which ones you can buy in Canada and own privately?

https://en.wikipedia..._assault_rifles

The same applies to handguns. There are a great many restrictions and checks required before a civilian can purchase and possess a handgun. 

The liberals and left wing mayors are skirting around the topic because it would have to play into the Conservative agenda of lengthy prison sentences for possession or use of a firearm in the commission of a crime etc.

You are far more likely to encounter Justin Trudeau in blackface than be the victim of a crime where a legally owned weapon was used 

• weirdie and Wayne like this

#4360 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:10 AM

You are far more likely to encounter Justin Trudeau in blackface than be the victim of a crime where a legally owned weapon was used 

I'm pretty sure I don't fully agree with your general position, but funny is funny.

• rjag, rmpeers and Kungsberg like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users