2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4801 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,990 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:28 AM

it will a bit for sure. might take a day to show in the polls.

#4802 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

I think most people who would have been impacted by the Obama news were probably too distracted by Jennifer Aniston joining Instagram to notice anything else happening online.

#4803 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,990 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

she got over a million followers right away.

#4804 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

I had no idea Elisabeth May was born in the US .
Does she still hold US citizenship.

#4805 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

So if any popular person mentions their support of a particular party/candidate (no matter how obvious it was that's where they would lean) it's interfering with the election?

From the globe and mail:

https://www.theglobe...o-the-liberals/

'The Obama intrusion, unprecedented even for a former president, constitutes unjustified meddling. “The world needs his progressive leadership now,” Mr. Obama said of Mr. Trudeau, “and I hope our neighbours to the north support him for another term.” That it came from someone such as Mr. Obama, who has a reputation for playing by the norms, makes it all the more surprising.

The move, which justifiably infuriates Conservatives, is a gift for the Liberals who could receive a crucial shot of momentum from it in these, the closing days of a very tight race.

What gives the endorsement added importance is Mr. Obama’s high standing in Canada. Polls have always shown him to be admired among a broad swath of the population, not just progressives.'

#4806 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

Certainly not at the same level, but I didn't see any Conservatives up in arms when former Governor of Florida and then US Republican Presidential candidate Jeb Bush endorsed Stephen Harper in 2015. And I'm sure lots of Liberals complained about that back then.

Standard operating procedure in an election. What benefits you is no big deal, what doesn't is somehow a violation of some election law.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#4807 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:20 PM

Those numbers in that graph on the previous page make a damn good argument for proportional representation:

Greens: 8.4%, projected seat range 1 to 6.

Bloc Q: 6.9%, projected seat range 22 to 49.

Sigh.

#4808 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

Those numbers in that graph on the previous page make a damn good argument for proportional representation:

Greens: 8.4%, projected seat range 1 to 6.
Bloc Q: 6.9%, projected seat range 22 to 49.

Sigh.

This is the bigger problem in my opinion

Attached Images

• 72965107_10156710480248716_5612031747601465344_n.jpg
  • 72289262_10156710480258716_7754296464875978752_n.jpg

#4809 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,990 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

The telephone survey of 1,028 randomly selected Canadian adults was conducted Thursday afternoon and evening. Forum says its results are considered accurate within a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

The New Democratic Party and its leader Jagmeet Singh are making big gains in popular support and favourability in the final days of the campaign, a new poll suggests.

The latest telephone survey from Forum Research shows a significant boost in voting intentions for the NDP from a similar poll the firm conducted nine days earlier — a jump from 12 per cent to 20 per cent among decided voters.

At the same time, support for the Conservatives dropped from 35 per cent to 29 per cent, placing Andrew Scheer’s party in a virtual tie with the Liberals, who rose from 28 per cent to 30 per cent support in the latest poll.

https://www.thestar....meet-singh.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 October 2019 - 02:52 PM.

#4810 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:06 PM

This is the bigger problem in my opinion

so the first four numbers are average per seat based on your chart, for the rest i used wikipedia 2018 population numbers and provincial seats

canada average

ontario average

bc average

pei average

manitoba average

saskatchewan average

then i got bored - the point is your selective chart correctly points out that some maritime provinces are over-represented, and that alberta and bc are under-represented

but you will notice that ontario is also under-represented

while quebec is actually right on the average

pei, manitoba, saskatchewan are all over-represented

feel free to check the number on NB, YK, NU, and so on - the results will be much the same

the reason for my post is that yours came across as slightly Quebec bashing, which i know is a favourite sport out here - but sadly, in this case, misguided

the numbers, or as some call them - facts, point out the fallacy in you chart - i am a big fan of showing ALL the data when i am trying to make a point (except as i mentioned earlier - i got bored!) 

cheers

Attached Images

• Screenshot from 2019-10-17 16-53-58.png

• Brayvehart likes this

#4811 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,990 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

ben shapiro on obama's endorsement:

https://youtu.be/2Ji8IjRcxD8?t=2632

#4812 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,990 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

https://newsinteract...tracker/canada/

#4813 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:20 AM

I’m seeing a significant increase in “a vote for the NDP or Greens is a vote for the Cons” rhetoric on social media.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4814 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:17 AM

Probably because neither party is going to win and if those people voted for a big 2 it would probably be Liberal.
I never got that argument though. We don't know their context for voting NDP/Green. What if they hate both Scheer and Trudeau and refuse to vote for them so go somewhere else to try and get a minority?

It's just desperation from Liberals seeing how close it is.

#4815 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:24 AM

Adam Stirling brought up a very good point on this morning's roundtable discussion about our four ridings.

Nikki Macdonald has deep roots in the Liberal Party, so much so that none other than Chretien has endorsed her. Macdonald also represents the sort of Candidate Victoria Liberal supporters can get behind, and someone who is acutely aware of proper governance and would not stand for the sort of lane veering that has occurred at Victoria's council table this year.

So in short, Stirling believes that Macdonald's presence in this election could give the Liberals a win, or at the very least, position the Liberals as the #2 party in Victoria behind the Greens.

IMO, Collins doesn't have a hope, while Kooy is a natural alternative to the NDP, but her vs. someone like Macdonald is indeed too close to call.

That being said, the polling in Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke has the four candidates literally neck-to-neck.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4816 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

Surprising considering Esq-S-S had ten candidates on the ballot (3! independents) this time 'round. I would have expected the votes to be more spread out if so many thought they had a shot.

~ Jasmine ~

#4817 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

So if Ms May doesnt resonate and grow her seats does she stay on? My gut is she may win at most 2 seats (possible Kooy) so what does that say for May and the Green Party future at the Federal level?

#4818 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,990 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

So if Ms May doesnt resonate and grow her seats does she stay on? My gut is she may win at most 2 seats (possible Kooy) so what does that say for May and the Green Party future at the Federal level?

she is newly married*. i bet she quits.

*trivia she married margot kidder's brother.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 October 2019 - 10:35 AM.

#4819 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

I know a former Green supporter who is so alarmed at her extremist positions he's voting for someone else (probably NDP.) I don't know how common that reaction is but I do think that outside of a few small pockets Green support is the classical "mile wide and an inch deep". I agree with you that it is not likely to translate into many seats.

On the other hand, she remains very popular among some voters who's attachment to reality is tenuous. And what else is she going to do? Like the shabby opportunist Collins she may calculate that the $150K parliamentary salary (plus perks) is too good to pass up.

Either way, I doubt the Greens will have much influence even in a minority government. Both the Bloc and the NDP are the likelier dance partners.

#4820 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

I know a former Green supporter who is so alarmed at her extremist positions he's voting for someone else (probably NDP.) I don't know how common that reaction is but I do think that outside of a few small pockets Green support is the classical "mile wide and an inch deep". I agree with you that it is not likely to translate into many seats.

On the other hand, she remains very popular among some voters who's attachment to reality is tenuous. And what else is she going to do? Like the shabby opportunist Collins she may calculate that the $150K parliamentary salary (plus perks) is too good to pass up.

Either way, I doubt the Greens will have much influence even in a minority government. Both the Bloc and the NDP are the likelier dance partners.

I don’t really see how the NDP are any less extreme than the greens? They both want to end the oil and gas industry in Canada and they both think the planet is going to die if we don’t. The NDP have moved very far left on this issue in the last decade/s

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users