Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4941 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:32 PM

I have a close friend who will be voting Conservative for the first time in his life, and his description of the shift he’s seen within himself isn’t far off from yours.

I’m in the same boat. My views don’t align with the conservatives but our options are terrible. I honestly like Singh the best but how could I vote for laurel Collins? Her views are the same as Ben Isitts and that’s just terrifying. Also not sure on how the ndp would handle the economy during the recession that we are apparently headed for. I don’t trust Trudeau, he seems like a liar and a fraud. I actually thought about not voting
  • rmpeers likes this

#4942 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

not voting is a reasonable option.

#4943 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

Put me in the pool for:

Lib - 135

Con - 131

NDP - 35

BQ - 32

Grn - 4

PPC - 0

Oth - 1

Turnout - about average overall, but going low-to-high from east-to-west (so, highest turnout in BC)

#4944 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

My official prediction:

155 lib, 115 CPC, 35 NDP, 30 BQ, 2 Green, 1 PPC

#4945 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

My official prediction:

155 lib, 115 CPC, 35 NDP, 30 BQ, 2 Green, 1 PPC

interesting.  this is bernier's riding:

#4946 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:46 PM

Who do you think is the ticket to a win, if Scheer loses:
- a Kenney
- a Bernier?

I'm hoping for Michelle Rempel.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4947 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

I only had the Conservative candidate come to my door and have a little conversation, didn't see any others or have any door hangers delivered.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4948 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

I’m in the same boat. My views don’t align with the conservatives but our options are terrible. I honestly like Singh the best but how could I vote for laurel Collins? Her views are the same as Ben Isitts and that’s just terrifying. Also not sure on how the ndp would handle the economy during the recession that we are apparently headed for. I don’t trust Trudeau, he seems like a liar and a fraud. I actually thought about not voting

In nominating Collins, I suspect the NDP may be oblivious to how much resentment there is locally towards our city council, and how folks who traditionally skew NDP cannot stomach the local gang.
  • Hotel Mike and Belleprincess like this

#4949 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:00 AM

i adamantly do not want to vote for Laurel Collins.. she could be running for any party and i would not vote for her... sure voting for her could get her out of council but i strongly believe council would be no better for it, we would be stuck with a big election bill and end up with someone similar to her while she goes and runs off to a new higher profile job with a bigger paycheck and benefits while abandoning the people that just elected her to serve the city.. no thanks

from what i'm reading it's fairly safe to assume if i want to vote strategically, and vote for the party most likely to beat her my best bet would be to vote greens?

#4950 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:11 AM

yes vote green.
  • Matt R. likes this

#4951 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:42 AM

In nominating Collins, I suspect the NDP may be oblivious to how much resentment there is locally towards our city council, and how folks who traditionally skew NDP cannot stomach the local gang.

I don't think for a second that the NDP was obvious to anything. In my opinion this was part of a larger plan. 

I won't vote for Collins simply because I think that her planned successor would be even worse for the City.

Edited by spanky123, 21 October 2019 - 05:43 AM.

#4952 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:58 AM

I wonder if the machine is getting ready to position Jordan Reichert for a by-election run.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4953 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

Do we know where Scheer is today? I assume he's not just chilling at home so his strategists probably decided wherever he has been would be more beneficial than Vancouver Island.

Scheer is in the lower mainland today according to his scheduled public appearances

In all fairness there are 20+ seats in greater Vancouver

He had a big final rally in Richmond last night. Richmond has two ridings which used to be safe Conservative seats, but in 2015 the Liberals took Steveston-Richmond East and were runners up in Richmond Centre by about 1,000 votes or 3%.

#4954 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:24 AM

I wonder if the machine is getting ready to position Jordan Reichert for a by-election run.

WTF do you get this sort of nonsense?!? I have to assume you are taking yet another swipe at the, "NDP machine", and I have to ask you why you think they would back a fringe lunatic who is on the same ballot as Laurel Collins today potentially taking away votes from her?!?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#4955 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

I meant Isitt's machine that got him, Collins, Dubow, Loveday and Potts elected.

Dude, chill out.

• rjag and AndrewReeve like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4956 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone know if anyone is streaming their election coverage for someone without any cable to watch? I know various places do for US but everything I've seen for Canada is just live blogs and such.

#4957 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

Does anyone know if anyone is streaming their election coverage for someone without any cable to watch? I know various places do for US but everything I've seen for Canada is just live blogs and such.

https://gem.cbc.ca/live/1606007875705

CTV also says it will stream live coverage, at https://www.ctvnews.ca/

I expect CHEK will also stream live on its website once BC polls close at 7pm.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 21 October 2019 - 11:46 AM.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#4958 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

CBC will be streaming apparently, both online and through their free CBC Gem streaming service. Details: https://www.cbc.ca/n...ow-to-1.5325977

• Cats4Hire likes this

#4959 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

I think most networks will do some form of live stream online. Global, CTV, and CBC (among others) are all putting their broadcasts online in addition to cable.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#4960 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

Thanks. I could have sworn when I checked CBC yesterday they just listed live blog

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users