2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#5181 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

I would certainly not refer to Kenney as “alt right” unless the desire is to be theatrical. The alt right is a fringe at the further depths of the right wing, no more representative of Conservatives in this nation than Extinction Rebellion-esque bridge-closing activists are of the Liberal Party.

Oh please....you need to go back and do your homework. Unlike you Mike I grew up in this country and am probably 20 years older: I very well remember what it was to be a "PC" in the early and mid and late 70's and early 80's. These guys are anything but that - and until die-hard supporters like you understand that I hope you enjoy coming in second place electorally....

And I am far from alone in my thinking on the subject; I know people here, in Vancouver, Ontario and the Maritimes who would love to vote Conservative - but for true Conservatives, not the abomination that this party is masquerading as.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 09 November 2019 - 01:48 PM.

• Stephen James and Victoria Watcher like this

#5182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

Ok, boomer.

I also grew up in this country. So now what?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5183 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

and I thought I'd already seen the most award use of "ok boomer"...

• Matt R. likes this

#5184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

It’s my first time ☺️ I had it saved up for a “listen here, immigrant...” moment.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5185 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:23 PM

And I am far from alone in my thinking on the subject; I know people here, in Vancouver, Ontario and the Maritimes who would love to vote Conservative - but for true Conservatives, not the abomination that this party is masquerading as.....

I see you added this to your post, so I’ll comment.

There were Conservatives who didn’t vote for Scheer, just like there were Liberals who didn’t vote for Trudeau. That’s just how it goes, and it’s expected as a candidate will never be everything to everyone.

But Kenney is not “alt right.” That’s all I’m trying to say. And I don’t see what that has to do with my age or my background.

Know it all.

#5186 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

Perhaps the decision to step down wasn’t hers.

As I commented earlier, in my opinion neither her nor Weaver left on their own volition. Nice to see that May wants to run next election but won't that be up to party leadership? Won't they have to sign off on her application? Hard to see the safest seat in the country for the Greens being used as anything but a placeholder for the new leader.  Any bets as to whether Helps takes a run?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

Certainly in Victoria, but a politician from outside the riding might appear a little hokey/contrived? I dunno.

Know it all.

#5188 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

Certainly in Victoria, but a politician from outside the riding might appear a little hokey/contrived? I dunno.

may is not from here.  she dropped in too.  she ran in london then nova scotia before coming here.  she was born in the usa and grew up in nova scotia.  went to school there then moved to ottawa.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 05:59 PM.

#5189 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

Any bets as to whether Helps takes a run?

that's interesting.  

i feel that she goes to become a ceo of some ngo or government contractor though not necessarily more politics.  she could make more money than an mp and with less travel.

maybe she ruins for green leader first though.  that's a thought.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#5190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

Was May not a resident of Saanich-Gulf, though? I didn’t know she had such a multi-jurisdictional past.

Know it all.

#5191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

Was May not a resident of Saanich-Gulf, though? 

nope.  no connection at all to the west coast.

I didn’t know she had such a multi-jurisdictional past.

takes a boomer to know.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#5192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

Ok, boomer.

Know it all.

#5193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:02 PM

The Maritimer announced on Tuesday that she has moved to British Columbia, will challenge activist Stuart Hertzog for the Green Party nomination on Sept. 19 in Sidney, and expects to face off against incumbent MP Gary Lunn in the next federal election -- which Ottawa insiders anticipate could come as soon as Nov. 9.

From 2009: https://thetyee.ca/N...hMaySaltSpring/

May was elected to office in 2011, two years after moving to Sidney.

Know it all.

#5194 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

from what i can recall there was a three-fold reason why they dropped her in saanich gulf islands.

• conservatives were slipping to both the liberals and ndp with each election.  they saw a way to be in the thick of it with vote splits.
  • they thought the islands in and sidney in particular were easy for the taking with a green philosophy already.
  • they knew that they had a very high percentage of "door-knockable homes".  sfds not apartments and more people at home daytime hours than elsewhere.

so they flew in and paid paid a very large force to work doors efficiently.  they pretty much blew the whole national green budget on paid canvassers here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#5195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

From 2009: https://thetyee.ca/N...hMaySaltSpring/

May was elected to office in 2011, two years after moving to Sidney.

well she was not going to move here the week before the election.  she moved here expressly to run in the next election whenever that was. 2008 had resulted in a minority so she had to be ready for an election any time.

the previous election was october 2008.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#5196 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

Ok, boomer.

what are boomers guilty of? ... https://www.google.c...iw=1530&bih=769

#5197 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

well she was not going to move here the week before the election. she moved here expressly to run in the next election whenever that was. 2008 had resulted in a minority so she had to be ready for an election any time.

the previous election was october 2008.

Oh sure, but she moved there. My point was helps being a Victoria resident would seem odd running for the Saanich riding. Or maybe not, I don’t know.

Know it all.

#5198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

what are boomers guilty of? ... https://www.google.c...iw=1530&bih=769

It’s just a meme, I mean it jokingly. :)

Know it all.

#5199 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

Oh sure, but she moved there. My point was helps being a Victoria resident would seem odd running for the Saanich riding. Or maybe not, I don’t know.

she has made it clear she just rents in victoria.  easy for her to buy a home or just rent on the peninsula.  nobody would mind.  she makes $150k a year (mayor and crd) and has no car she probably has a downpayment.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#5200 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

from what i can recall there was a three-fold reason why they dropped her in saanich gulf islands.

• conservatives were slipping to both the liberals and ndp with each election.  they saw a way to be in the thick of it with vote splits.
  • they thought the islands in and sidney in particular were easy for the taking with a green philosophy already.
  • they knew that they had a very high percentage of "door-knockable homes".  sfds not apartments and more people at home daytime hours than elsewhere.

so they flew in and paid paid a very large force to work doors efficiently.  they pretty much blew the whole national green budget on paid canvassers here.

https://www.theguard...-first-green-mp

The Green win was the result of a strategic shift by the party away from building broad-based national support to getting a foothold in parliament. After two failed runs in her home province of Nova Scotia and in Ontario, May moved to British Columbia in the summer of 2009 to focus full-time on her campaign.

While other national leaders fanned out across the country, she stayed close to home, campaigning in her Toyota Prius and mobilising an army of youthful volunteers to win over a conservative and elderly constituency.

The decision cost the Greens overall, with their share of the popular vote nationally falling to 4% on Monday night from 7% in earlier elections. It could also have left the Greens with nothing, had May failed to win the seat

missing is the paid canvassers part and the extent of the national budget they used here.  it was huge. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 07:24 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users