2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#5201 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

It’s just a meme, I mean it jokingly. :)

... me too! ... i am pretty much laughing all the time these days...  :P

• Mike K. likes this

#5202 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

For "Tories" who are still scratching their heads wondering why Scheer and Co were unable to sway sufficient electoral support - including from traditional Progressive Conservative supporters like me - this article should be required reading. In particular this comment should be read by them, re-read and taken to heart.

".....The prospect is always there for fratricide among the loose confederation of warring tribes that agreed to merge under the Conservative Party of Canada banner in 2004...."

"We" didn't vote you because simply put you aren't "Progressive" and you are no longer recognizably Conservative, certainly as I remember the party prior to the emergence of its Reform wing; you are nothing but hard core intransigent Reformers masquerading as Tories. As such, to be blunt, we don't trust you, particularly as Scheer was wont to do on multiple occasions when asked direct questions about abortion or LGBT rights for example, he'd adopt that faraway gaze and simply duck the question altogether or fall back on some party drivel about 'respecting the rights of all Canadians". Which is to say he refused to answer the question. Again and again. 

You have morphed from your true PC roots and become a party of alt-RIght ideologues like Kenney, and Ford and Scheer. We no longer recognize - or like - what you have become and until you deal with that reality governing this country will remain problematic: whoever wins in Canada needs above all to sway Quebec and specifically the 55 seats in the GTA - which are increasingly non-white and immigrant and who do not share your zealous Judeo-Christian ideology rooted in so-called 'traditional' values - I would ask you "whose values are they exactly?" You OTOH should be asking whether in the 21st century they still apply. It isn't 1953 any more, after all.

And while you're at it rather than adopting a smarmy half-assed attitude re: climate change I would suggest you actually sit down and map out a real and actionable strategy for dealing with a real problem and then communicate that plan to Canadians, openly and honestly. With millennials - who rightly or wrongly view climate change at or very near the top of their personal priority lists - and who now outnumber the boomers BTW as a voting block, you would be very well-advised to also start taking it seriously rather than looking down on it with disdain.

https://www.msn.com/...tice/ar-BBWqJ51

https://nationalpost...-their-religion

• Awaiting Juno likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5203 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

Certainly in Victoria, but a politician from outside the riding might appear a little hokey/contrived? I dunno.

Not at all uncommon for party leaders. May has already been mentioned, but we also had Singh parachute into Burnaby, and on the provincial side Clark had to make a second go in Kelowna after losing her seat in Vancouver.

#5204 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

Yes, that’s right. John A. was also MP for Victoria but had nothing to do with the city.
  • Jackerbie likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5205 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

I cant see the Bloc and Quebec not getting what they want.  Even more so now, with this minority government.

http://www.msn.com/e...BV&ocid=DELLDHP

#5206 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:09 PM

Ok, boomer.

I also grew up in this country. So now what?

Sorry that came across harsher than was the intent; my point was however, and remains, that these so-called Tories "aren't" - at least in the traditional Canadian sense.

Canadian "Progressive" Conservatism and its Red Tory wing - a la John Diefenbaker, Robert Stanfield, Flora Macdonald and Joe Clark - has little if anything in common ideologically with a Kenney, a Harper or a Scheer. As long as this latter cadre dominates the Refor -er..."Conservative" Party in this country then good luck with that, especially as several recent national studies show that millennial's, who will continue from this point on to be the most numerous voting bloc into the foreseeable future, already shade decidedly Left of center. 

• Mike K., Hotel Mike, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#5207 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

older millennials will start going to the right though.  

#5208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:11 PM

I’m certainly seeing that among my friends. Liberals from their 20s into their 30s, now switching over to Conservative thinking in their late 30s/early 40s. It’s quite the thing, and has made for interesting conversations at the pub.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5209 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:55 PM

I’m certainly seeing that among my friends. Liberals from their 20s into their 30s, now switching over to Conservative thinking in their late 30s/early 40s. It’s quite the thing, and has made for interesting conversations at the pub.

I'm not who said it but...

"If you're not a Liberal in your 20s, you have no heart. If you're still a Liberal in your 30s, you have no brain."

#5210 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

I'm not who said it but...

"If you're not a Liberal in your 20s, you have no heart. If you're still a Liberal in your 30s, you have no brain."

i much prefer this...

take an ndp supporter and remove his brain and you will create a liberal, go one step further and remove his heart as well and you will have a tory!

#5211 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

That is the typical path for anyone capable of critical thinking. But it seems that many are not. I know many older people who have apparently learned nothing from their life experience.

The reason may be that leftism is more an identity than an ideology. People acquire a world view early on and spend the rest of their life seeking confirmation of it. They gravitate towards friends, pundits, media sources, whatever, that reinforce their self image. Ideas die hard. It' much easier, even for otherwise intelligent people, to walk in the same rut rather than uncomfortably question their assumptions.

#5212 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:03 PM

Author Jesse Walker:

"I would watch a Family Ties reboot where Alex P. Keaton is a Never Trump Republican turned centrist Democrat and his dad is a reclusive pot grower whose distrust of the Deep State and messy divorce have drawn him into Infowars territory."

• Mike K. likes this

#5213 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

I see you added this to your post, so I’ll comment.

There were Conservatives who didn’t vote for Scheer, just like there were Liberals who didn’t vote for Trudeau. That’s just how it goes, and it’s expected as a candidate will never be everything to everyone.

But Kenney is not “alt right.” That’s all I’m trying to say. And I don’t see what that has to do with my age or my background.

I've watched, met, Kenney for years and agree with the writer:  

Kenney may not be alt-right but he'll do fine until one comes along.  He's a walking trojan horse and, similar to lots of the comments here, I'll never vote C unless/until they become PC again.  

It's tragic that we dont have a fiscal (only) conservative party because such a party would win in a landslide.  This was the dominant topic at a party I attended just before the election:  people holding their noses to vote liberal because they will never vote for anyone who might be a religious ideologue.  There are lots of people like this.

• AllseeingEye, Hotel Mike, RoadRunner and 2 others like this

#5214 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

This, this and this 1000x over: this OpEd piece should be mandatory reading for any federal Refor - er...."Tory" strategists still 1) trying to make sense of the last election and 2) more critically attempting to chart the course forward. In particular do take note of the following because Neil Macdonald absolutely nails and hits it out of the park with this because it speaks directly to disaffected PC's like me:

"......In any case, the path to victory for his party should be equally obvious: the Conservatives have to resurrect the word "progressive," ripped out of the party name by Stephen Harper's bunch, and restore it. Or do something similar.

That means standing for fiscal conservatism – limited intervention in the economy, lower taxes, only such regulation as is demonstrably justifiable, helping society's neediest but resisting extensive social engineering – and taking a laissez-faire approach to social issues. Laissez-faire is supposed to be a core conservative value, after all......"

https://www.msn.com/...nald/ar-BBXlJHm

And I have no idea who Rick Peterson is but holy eff I'd vote for the guy in a heartbeat. The sooner the party does what it needs to do - show Andrew Scheer the door - the better IMO.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 26 November 2019 - 07:41 PM.

#5215 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

Bye bye Scheer. He is stepping down as Leader of the CPC.

via https://www.cbc.ca/n...eader-1.5393803

Edited by Jackerbie, 12 December 2019 - 08:52 AM.

• Kapten Kapsell and RFS like this

#5216 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

#byebyeAndy

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5217 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

His resignation comes as a direct result of new revelations that he was using Conservative Party money to pay for his children’s private schooling. Senior Conservatives say the expenditures were made without the knowledge or approval of the Conservative fund board, including the chair of the board. There are also calls for the party president to resign over the schooling expenses.

https://globalnews.c...er-resignation/

Could be a blessing in disguise for the Cons to get some fresh blood in the top end ranks.

#5218 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

This is great news for the party

#5219 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:44 AM

Staying on a leader would have been Scheer insanity...

• Mike K. likes this

#5220 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:52 AM

So shall we start taking predictions? McKay seems like the obvious front runner and has re-entered the public spotlight recently. I feel like he would do well. He comes across as reasonably intelligent and has an Iranian super model wife.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users