2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#5301 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:39 PM

Very few were settlers. Nice creation myth though. I am sure if we offered free land in the north to those that want to come here and farm there would be lots of takers.
  • Bernard and John M. like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5302 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:47 PM

Very few were settlers. Nice creation myth though. I am sure if we offered free land in the north to those that want to come here and farm there would be lots of takers.

My great grandfather's were. Literally farmed dirt outside grand prairie with 9 people living in a one room wooden shack. Bit different than the average immigrant experience today.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#5303 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

^ That could be a product of policies that make it hard for new immigrants to get jobs in their field of expertise just as much as anything else. Canada is almost all immigrants so everything that we have in society outside of indigenous learnings is due to immigrants or their offspring.

I think that it is more of immigration policy changes which have transitioned from skilled immigrant migration to refugees who in many cases have no skills and no economic opportunity when they arrive.

My experience with skilled immigrants is that you very rarely see one with their hand out. In fact anyone who I have every met is often doing whatever work and as many jobs as they need to do to take care of themselves and their families. 

• Rob Randall likes this

#5304 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

Just walking down Pandora by Our Place and seeing the folks outside few if any seem to be immigrants. Would be interesting to ask and find out.
  • UDeMan and Awaiting Juno like this

It has a whole new look!

#5305 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

Also for the record on my mum's side I have immigrant farming ancestors that lived in PEI at least 300 years ago. They were definitely immigrants though.

It has a whole new look!

#5306 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

My great grandfather's were. Literally farmed dirt outside grand prairie with 9 people living in a one room wooden shack. Bit different than the average immigrant experience today.

Tilling virgin soil is an extinct occupation.

The modern day equivalent is probably working the graveyard shift at the Petro-Can so your wife can finish getting her Health Care Assistant Certificate from Camosun..

• Mr Cook Street, John M. and Cats4Hire like this

#5307 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

The 'illiterate unskilled' immigrants join the community, have children, bring new ideas, and work hard. All important contributions to the country.

Only 24% of Syrian refugees who have been here since 2015 are working.

https://www.macleans...red-since-2015/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5308 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

Just walking down Pandora by Our Place and seeing the folks outside few if any seem to be immigrants. Would be interesting to ask and find out.

I think over 50% would identify has first Nations or metis

#5309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:57 AM

I think over 50% would identify has first Nations or metis

so those that have been here for 10000 years don't even have that midnight shift at petro canada job.

#5310 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:01 AM

Only 24% of Syrian refugees who have been here since 2015 are working.

https://www.macleans...red-since-2015/

Statistics Canada recently took a close look at that first cohort of 25,000 Syrian refugees who had landed as of May 10, 2016. Employment is the most important metric by which to gauge the integration of refugees into Canadian society.

And here the news seems rather disappointing. Only 24 per cent of adult male Syrian refugees were working, according to census data.

For government-sponsored male refugees (as opposed to those sponsored by charities, churches or other private organizations), the employment rate was a mere five per cent.

These figures are substantially below the 39 per cent average for male refugees from other countries. The gap between female Syrian refugees and those from other countries is equally significant: eight per cent versus 17 per cent.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 December 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#5311 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 02:39 PM

I’m not surprised by the 5% .Trudeau stated he was taking more refugees who were uneducated purposely to leave the educated to rebuild Syria when the time came . Many who came here as government sponsored citizens could not read or write their own language.They must of felt they landed on a different planet. He stated his hope was for the children to assimilate into Canadian culture. Allow too many people at once and you have the same issues as Surrey and Richmond when it comes to assimilation. I would have liked to see us take in the ones who were in most danger if we were to keep with Trudeau’s strategy. 
Widows with children ,gays ,christians then able bodied families  .
From what I’ve heard from a friend in Germany ,Canada is held up to the population as doing the right thing for Syrian refugees. Apparently Germany expects the refugees to return to Syria after the war is settled . More holes in that than Swiss cheese.

#5312 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:46 AM

did we know that jason kenney is a st. mike's grad (86)?

https://www.smus.ca/...spring_2017.pdf

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 December 2019 - 05:46 AM.

#5313 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:15 PM

Benefit of belong to a minority party: MP Laurel Collins is already Caucus Vice Chair in addition to her roles as Critic for Environment and Climate Change, and Deputy Critic for Infrastructure and Communities, according to her Twitter bio.

#5314 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:17 AM

MacKay to enter Conservative leadership race

Former Conservative cabinet minister Peter MacKay is expected to announce his entry into the party's leadership race later today, CTV News has learned.

#5315 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:24 AM

MacKay to enter Conservative leadership race

Former Conservative cabinet minister Peter MacKay is expected to announce his entry into the party's leadership race later today, CTV News has learned.

Rona Ambrose will not run for Conservative leadership race: La Presse report

https://edmontonjour...0d-589e66c44b57

#5316 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:35 PM

Time for a separate thread on the CPC leadership, maybe?

Harper quit the Conservative Fund Board unexpectedly. Maclean's is saying that the move is to "free himself to counter Jean Charest’s leadership bid." via https://www.macleans...ive-fund-board/

#5317 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

maybe we can just rename this thread as upcoming federal election or 2023 election?  i don't know.

#5318 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

If Harper is so dead set against Charest, I might be supportive of his leadership bid.

• FogPub and Victoria Watcher like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5319 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

Charest is out. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...rship-1.5434981

#5320 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

Jean Charet is still around? Jesus, what about Joe Clark?

• Nparker, rjag and Bernard like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users