2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#5321 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

Jean Charet is still around? Jesus, what about Joe Clark?

It has only been 39 years and 323 days since Joe Clark was PM, time for another comeback attempt?  He is still only 80 years old, Bernie Sanders is 78 

• Rob Randall likes this

#5322 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:24 PM

Or Joke Lark as my dad used to say.

• Bernard likes this

#5323 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

In 41 days Joe Clark will have lived more of his life since being PM than before he was PM.   A rather amazing feat for anyone to accomplish.  Assuming Trudeau stays in office till 2023, he would have to be live to age 96 or so to achieve the same feat.  John Turner would have to live another 20 years to do the same.

The stat shows how much younger Clark was than anyone else who became PM (the only person to become PM in their 30s) and how short his term in office was.   If he had been able to work with the Creditistes in Quebec he would have been PM for 4 years and not 8 months as he did.  He is the only PM to lose a vote of confidence because he failed to count the numbers and make sure the conservative MPs from Quebec did not vote against him.

#5324 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:09 PM

Jean Charet is still around? Jesus, what about Joe Clark?

...whoaa there! leave my cousin Joe out of it...

• Bernard likes this

#5325 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

Joe Clark was always underrated, I wish he would have had more of a crack at being PM, or at least as PC leader (but he was a great External Affairs Minister under Mulroney, though). He would make a much better leader of the CPC than corrupt liberal Jean Charest, but unfortunately I suspect just about anyone attached to the PC brand exclusively (unlike some people like Peter McKay, who served in the CPC government) is automatically out of the running for most people. 

#5326 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:42 AM

Joe Clark was always underrated, I wish he would have had more of a crack at being PM, or at least as PC leader (but he was a great External Affairs Minister under Mulroney, though). He would make a much better leader of the CPC than corrupt liberal Jean Charest, but unfortunately I suspect just about anyone attached to the PC brand exclusively (unlike some people like Peter McKay, who served in the CPC government) is automatically out of the running for most people. 

Clark showed in his mishandling of the confidence vote that he is not a good strategic thinker when it comes to governing.   He is also the Minister of External Affairs that accidentally sent an audio tape to a media outlet that had not been erased and had rough dictation notes that should not have been released.

Joe Clark is a nice guy and truly listens and considers other people, he is just not a strong leader and was never very charismatic.  He would have been better as an academic that wrote thought pieces for the public to re-think how government works.

#5327 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:17 PM

Rona Ambrose says she won't run for the Conservative leadership (CBC)

Straight to the source, her Facebook post

#5328 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

Pierre Poilievre is out.

So with Ambrose and Poilievre out I guess this is basically MacKay vs Erin O'toole?

#5329 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:43 PM

I’d be ok with MacKay.

Hey, that’s got a ring to it. Ok ...with MacKay! 🤗
  • Bernard likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5330 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:03 PM

or "O'Toole, he is no tool, right?"

Better than Joe Clark's slogan "Joe Who?"   and yes, he did not create but he lived up to it and never managed to get the media to let him live it down while he was leader and then PM

#5331 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:18 PM

"I'm cool with O'Toole"

#5332 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

Better than Joe Clark's slogan "Joe Who?"   and yes, he did not create but he lived up to it and never managed to get the media to let him live it down while he was leader and then PM

...hey now, leave my cousin Joe out of this...

#5333 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

I'm kinda liking Leslyn Lewis for conservative leader...

http://www.leslynlewis.ca/

No name recognition tho, might be a tough go.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5334 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,050 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:23 AM

Better than Joe Clark's slogan "Joe Who?" and yes, he did not create but he lived up to it and never managed to get the media to let him live it down while he was leader and then PM

Toole and tool is not a rhyme.

#5335 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

I'm kinda liking Leslyn Lewis for conservative leader...

http://www.leslynlewis.ca/

No name recognition tho, might be a tough go.

She is never going to get the $300,000 needed to enter the race (yes, $100,000 is refundable).  The 3,000 signatures in 30 ridings is also going to be a stretch.   For reference, in 2017 the fee was $50,000 with an additional $50,000 refundable compliance deposit.   Only 300 signatures were required

Here is who has declared so far:

Oct 23 Aron Seal - young ex CPC policy advisor
Dec 22 Clayton Knutzon - ran for the Freedom Conservative party in Alberta
Jan 9 Marilyn Gladu - MP since 2015, former minister of science
Jan 15 Bobby Singh - ran as a CPC candidate in 2019
Jan 15 Peter MacKay - the clear frontrunner
Jan 22 Derek Sloan - been an MP since 2019
Jan 22 Leslyn Lewis - was a 2015 CPC candidate
Jan 22 Rick Peterson - could not win the BC Conservative leadership and in the 2017 CPC leadership race he got 0.65% of the vote
Jan 25 Erin O'Toole - one of two serious candidates
Jan 28 Jim Karahalios - ran for president of the Ontario PC in 2018 but lost
Pending Richard Decarie - was deputy chief of staff for Stephen and also Chief of Staff for Premier Jean Charest

4 more people are considering running.

I suspect that when the dust settles on March 25th only 4 or 5 people will be in the race

• John M. likes this

#5336 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

If a black woman was in the running for the NDP or Liberal leadership, the CBC et al would be falling over themselves to tell us all about it.  Weird how there has been literally zero coverage of Leslyn..

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5337 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,050 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

so if i'm to understand what happened on parliament hill today.

our local ndp mp was telling the house how sex work is real work and real women choose this type of work and deserve some government protections or at least less interference from being able to perform such work.

then a conservative mp asked our mp if she had ever performed such work.

then he had to apologize for even suggesting she'd do such degrading work.  or something.

because you see she'd be above that type of work but hundreds or thousands of canadian women are not.  

you could follow here:  https://twitter.com/...789242850807808

but it still would not make much sense.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2020 - 02:41 PM.

#5338 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,050 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

it seems to me that she is denigrating sex work but taking offence to the suggestion that she would ever perform it.

he tried to explain to the speaker where he was going.  that no canadian women ever choose the profession (which i think is wrong but it's a small portion).

#5339 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:48 PM

Christ, reading that twitter thread gave me cancer.  Our political/academic class are petulant children 

• lanforod and A Girl is No one like this

#5340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

In Collins’ own riding the police put out APBs routinely asking for the public to help find high-risk underage girls. One of these girls, if not two, may have been the victims in the human trafficking case we learned of last week.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users