2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#61 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Compared to a lot of ridings in BC outside of the Lower Mainland, it is not very big

Us Island-folk aren't used to that Bernard ;)

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#62 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Calling a spring election is not that easy, there are only two paths to do it.

1) Change the law - sort of a giveaway as to the PMs intentions

2) Get the House of Commons to vote non-confidence in the PM - politically stupid when you have a majority and need your own party to vote against you

3) Just do what he did the last time he wanted an early election and ignore Parliament.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Federal Tories lead the Liberals across Canada, including in Ontario

If the federal election were held today, 35% of voters would vote Tory, according to the latest Ipsos Reid poll. With new boundaries coming in 70 ridings, the Conservatives are closer to a majority government with that 35% than ever before, said Ipsos Reid’s John Wright.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

Let's face it, the disastrous provincial Liberal government in Ontario is not helping the federal Liberals there.

• AndrewReeve likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,732 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

...the Conservatives are closer to a majority government with that 35% than ever before, said Ipsos Reid’s John Wright....

What a terrible commentary on our electoral system when 35% constitutes a majority. Regardlesss of what party one favours, electing a government that barely represents the wishes of 1/3 of the population should alarm us all.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

What a terrible commentary on our electoral system when 35% constitutes a majority. Regardlesss of what party one favours, electing a government that barely represents the wishes of 1/3 of the population should alarm us all.

So what's your preference?  A two-party election, like the US, elect X or Y?  Or proportional representation, where 35% would look like a landslide?

#67 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

Proportional representation by % of votes would mean majority governments become extremely rare. This could make it very difficult for any government to get things done.

#68 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Proportional representation by % of votes would mean majority governments become extremely rare. This could make it very difficult for any government to get things done.

That's the big issue.

It would be worse than the US Federal Government.

#69 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

It would also be very costly in that we'd be having elections a lot more often due to non-confidence.

#70 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

It would also be very costly in that we'd be having elections a lot more often due to non-confidence.

It would not work in the current parliamentary system, I don't think. Might even require a new constitution.

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,732 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

....Or proportional representation, where 35% would look like a landslide?

Some form of proportional representation yes. And I'd prefer minority and/or coalition governments to the current system that does not represent the majority of the electorate.

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

Some form of proportional representation yes. And I'd prefer minority and/or coalition governments to the current system that does not represent the majority of the electorate.

But you understand that prop rep will also not represent the majority, right?

Here is Isreal in 2103.  Better?  The biggest party, the one that got the most votes, holds 1/4 of the house (or whatever it's called).

fo0123_knesset.jpg

#73 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

That's the big issue..

Some would argue that is the big benefit. :)

• Nparker and John M. like this

#74 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

Some would argue that is the big benefit. :)

Only if the system were perfect now. Far from it!

#75 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

Lester Pearson got a lot done without a majority. But the NDP were not much of a player back then. Now we have a real three-party system so power is yours if you can get 37% and the the other two split 63%. Harper is in decent shape as long as Mulcair and Justin remain unmarried. They aren't sleeping together so any nuptials are a long way off.

Edited by johnk, 16 January 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#76 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

I would say that the polling is likely a little high for the NDP they will collapse in the next election.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#77 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

Lester Pearson got a lot done without a majority. But the NDP were not much of a player back then. Now we have a real three-party system so power is yours if you can get 37% and the the other two split 63%. Harper is in decent shape as long as Mulcair and Justin remain unmarried. They aren't sleeping together so any nuptials are a long way off.

We also have the BQ and Greens who take a big chunk of the votes in certain areas of the country, and even hold seats in parliament. Combined they got 10% of the vote last time around (6% for the BQ and 4% for the Greens). 

Results of the last election:

Cons 39.62%

NDP 30.63%

Libs 18.91% 

BQ 6.04%

Greens 3.91

#78 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

Yup bloc will be back and hopefully the greens can steal from the NDP in quite a few places.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

I think most of us know NDP will be down, green up slightly, Libs back up considerably.  We just don't know where they will all sit.

• AndrewReeve and Mixed365 like this

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

Ex-CBC host Roberts seeks Green nomination in Victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users