2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2801 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:22 AM

so why do we get a daily soap-opera about the nafta & chrystia freeland & trump & supply management, etc, then?

The PwC study was commissioned by the Business Council of Canada, a non-profit, non-partisan association composed of 150 chief executives and entrepreneurs of leading Canadian companies.

Taking into account the direct impact on affected sectors and the indirect impact on Canadian suppliers, the PwC study estimates that U.S. tax reform puts at risk:

• $85 billion in annual economic activity, or 4.9 per cent of Canada’s gross domestic product (GDP)
  • 635,000 jobs, or 3.4 per cent of Canadian employment
  • $47 billion in labour income
  • $20 billion in government revenue from personal and corporate taxes and other payments.
“Putting these figures in perspective, the Conference Board of Canada predicts a 0.5 per cent decline in Canada’s GDP, and the loss of about 85,000 jobs, if the North American Free Trade Agreement is terminated,” PwC says.

https://thebusinessc...gdp-study-says/

#2802 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:34 AM

Maxime Bernier's new party: http://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca

#2803 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

He's got the right skin tone for that platform.  Orange.

#2804 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

Bernier is really doubling down on "gun ownership rights" in making it one of the pillars of his platform.  A great number of Canadians may consider this a fringe gun nut kooky party rather than a true contender. 

#2805 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

Bernier is really doubling down on "gun ownership rights" in making it one of the pillars of his platform. A great number of Canadians may consider this a fringe gun nut kooky party rather than a true contender.

People who vote on gun rights are a significant bloc. Probably roughly equivalent to the weed vote (who max will also court)

#2806 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

People who vote on gun rights are a significant bloc. Probably roughly equivalent to the weed vote (who max will also court)

I tend to think the gun registry/ownership was a knee jerk/one-size-fits-all response.
Rural gun owners, my friends among them, are responsible people who understand guns, use them to hunt game or shoot varmints threatening their livestock. Urban punks shooting each other over turf and drugs using mainly handguns is something else. Unfortunately, politicians in their cocoons can't see the difference so they bring 12-lb. sledge hammers to swat flies.
  • RFS and lanforod like this

#2807 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

And you do understand that half the coal they ship comes from the states?

I wasn't aware it was half, but I do know BNSF drops coal at Roberts Bank

#2808 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:05 PM

I will give Bernier a chance and check him out.

But I am hesitant to do so because of how he left the Conservative Party.

To me that shows that he can't be "Trusted" or that his "Loyalty"  changes direction to wherever he will gain the most.

#2809 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

I will give Bernier a chance and check him out.

But I am hesitant to do so because of how he left the Conservative Party.

To me that shows that he can't be "Trusted" or that his "Loyalty"  changes direction to wherever he will gain the most.

Bernier's always been a bit of an egomaniac; figures that's what you'd expect from someone who says he's "principled" but has changed political orientations several times through his career, or ignored said principles once in a position of power... 

With that said, I'll be on the lookout for his party. What kind of people he chooses to surround himself with is what matters at the end of the day.

Edited by Casual Kev, 14 September 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#2810 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

Bernier's always been a bit of an egomaniac; figures that's what you'd expect from someone who says he's "principled" but has changed political orientations several times through his career, or ignored said principles once in a position of power... 

With that said, I'll be on the lookout for his party. What kind of people he chooses to surround himself with is what matters at the end of the day.

I suppose one would say he is a Career Politician.........changing party membership multiple times ETC.   Just like "Angry Tom" Mulcair who was once a loyal and well known federal  Liberal, and ended his career as the leader of the NDP.

#2811 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

They don't call him Mad Max for nothing. I think he is a pretty flakey guy. He is predicting that he will be the next Prime Minister of Canada so he is not lacking in confidence, intelligence maybe, but not confidence.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2812 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:22 AM

Remember, Bernier was the cabinet minister who was balling a biker chick and managed to leave ministerial files/documents in her pad in the morning. Not ready for prime time.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#2813 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:00 AM

Bernier must have one enormous ego to think that he will suddenly capture the imagination and support of Canadians. Other losers of their party's nomination have also started a new party to house their self advancement His new party will end up in the dust heap of political history. Uh, what was Gordon Wilson's party called again?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2814 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:00 PM

Bernier must have one enormous ego to think that he will suddenly capture the imagination and support of Canadians. Other losers of their party's nomination have also started a new party to house their self advancement His new party will end up in the dust heap of political history. Uh, what was Gordon Wilson's party called again?

Well in the first poll within hours of starting the party he was polling at 13% which was within 2 points of the NDP's 15% so not bad. With proportional rep he would totally be a player
  • Mystic-Pizza likes this

#2815 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

Not being cynical here, but I think Bernier's ultimate goal is to steal enough votes from the CPC so that they fail to prevent another Liberal majority. So as the Conservatives scramble for new leadership, along comes Bernier again - but this time around he has a shiny large-scale base whose addition would easily make the party competitive against the Liberals. Even skeptical Tories would recognize Bernier as their best shot at victory (or else they can't get his base) and he wins the next leadership contest in a landslide. Just at the right time too as Trudeau fatigue starts to set in no matter how good/bad he is doing and the NDP is probably doing better to take away the Liberals' left-of-center votes (after they've shot Jagmeet out of a cannon). 

A lot of what-ifs here but I genuinely think the plan for Bernier is to try to be Prime Minister under a Conservative banner... he's just taken a detour.

• Mike K. and tjv like this

#2816 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

I did not support the election of  Andrew Sheer as the new leader of the Conservative party. There was another by the name of Pierre Lemieux,  that would have completely restored the party after the fall of Harper.  I like Mad Max's stand on gun ownership, but it's not enough. It's his character that I question.

#2817 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:49 PM

I did not support the election of  Andrew Sheer as the new leader of the Conservative party. There was another by the name of Pierre Lemieux,  that would have completely restored the party after the fall of Harper.  I like Mad Max's stand on gun ownership, but it's not enough. It's his character that I question.

Pierre Lemieux never received more than 8% of the votes during the first 8 rounds of voting. He does have a good record and has served as secretary to a number of
Ministers.

My pick was Rona Ambrose to unite and carry the party in 2019. Not meant to be.

#2818 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

I would've loved to see Ambrose lead the CPC too, she's proven her mettle as a leader. Shame about the rules.

• rjag likes this

#2819 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

Pierre Lemieux never received more than 8% of the votes during the first 8 rounds of voting. He does have a good record and has served as secretary to a number of
Ministers.

My pick was Rona Ambrose to unite and carry the party in 2019. Not meant to be.

Ah...........a fellow Conservative in BC? We are very rare you must know.  Like any party, there are factions within. Pierre Lemieux is a "TRUE" Social Conservative which is a breed that is on the verge of extinction. This is why I voted for him. However the democratic process eliminated him fairly quickly. I myself am one of the rarest of of Rare BC citizens that is "Social Conservative" We are like a species that is dying out. A small handful of us survive and go on to maintain the legacy in this Ultra "LEFT" Province because it is the way of true democracy. I believe that one day it is quite possible that Conservatism will return to BC.  Conservatism after all governed the province of BC longer then any party ever has in all of our history....either in the title of Conservative or Social Credit.  The History books declare that BC was not only formed and conceived on conservatism, but most of BC's existence is in debt to it. 

• Mike K. and Wayne like this

#2820 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:10 AM

I’d consider myself a social conservative as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users