Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2841 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:19 PM

The Floor Crossing I think was something likely worked out between herself and Sheer to replace Maxime

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 17 September 2018 - 03:26 PM.

#2842 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

A win / win for the Liberals.

Extend an olive branch and does not effect any majority federally. Singh must also be very pleased.

https://nationalpost...naby-byelection

#2843 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

I would've expected both the LPC and the Conservatives to go all out in Burnaby South to kneecap the NDP. 

#2844 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

^They don't want to do that. When you have a leader as weak and ineffectual as Jagmeet you want him to get elected.

• rjag, jonny, RFS and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2845 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:58 AM

Yep. If Singh were a strong leader they'd be going all out.

#2846 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

He wears a Rolex.

I'm not sure if he epitomizes the image most NDP'ers would associate with a leader they can relate with or who has a deeper understanding of their concerns/needs.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2847 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

He wears a Rolex.

I'm not sure if he epitomizes the image most NDP'ers would associate with a leader they can relate with or who has a deeper understanding of their concerns/needs.

https://nationalpost...their-privilege

Singh is the son of a psychiatrist: the tuition for the private American high school from which he graduated is, for the 2018-19 school year, US$31,260. He has been in GQ for his bespoke suits, and owns (according to Toronto Life) two Rolexes.

#2848 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

Copied from someone's quote on Quora, similar to how I would respond to that question (it's a good question by the way):

Property rights are an economic issue. you sound like a "fiscal conservative, that is someone who is in support of things such as LGBTQ+ rights, equality for women, choice in abortion, etc, but in economic matters supports the "conservative" agenda.

I want to know what makes someone a "social conservative" if it is not opposition to LGBTQ+ rights, equality for women, choice in abortion, etc. 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2849 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:21 AM

I want to know what makes someone a "social conservative" if it is not opposition to LGBTQ+ rights, equality for women, choice in abortion, etc. 

It is opposition to gay marriage, and anti abortion.  You are way off on equality for women though.  For the record I'm not a social conservative perse

#2850 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:40 PM

^They don't want to do that. When you have a leader as weak and ineffectual as Jagmeet you want him to get elected.

That's what was on the back of my mind but still, if he loses the NDP would have a very short period of time to pick someone else (doubt the insiders would be pleased about a do-over so quickly) and then get ready for the election, not to mention the sheer embarrassment it would be for the party. 

Dunno, maybe the Liberal mind game here is to act nice towards the NDP so that the less-loyal bunch are more likely to flip as Singh's poor leadership keeps chipping away at the base.

#2851 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:18 PM

Property rights are an economic issue. you sound like a "fiscal conservative, that is someone who is in support of things such as LGBTQ+ rights, equality for women, choice in abortion, etc, but in economic matters supports the "conservative" agenda.

I think abortion is disgusting and have no problem with homosexuals entering the legal contract that is marriage. I wonder what tedward would label me as. 

• lanforod and Mystic-Pizza like this

#2852 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

I think abortion is disgusting...

To be fair, so is childbirth. Really anything involving bodily fluids is pretty gross.

#2853 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

Lol

#2854 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

I think abortion is disgusting and have no problem with homosexuals entering the legal contract that is marriage. I wonder what tedward would label me as. 

I think abortion is horrible and would love to see the abortion rate as near to zero as possible.

Where a "conservative" disagrees with me is how to achieve that. I say education and access to birth control while conservatives say "make a law against it'. 

• thundergun and nerka like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2855 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:45 AM

But... but birth control is against "Gods" plan! We also should all really only be having sex to make babies!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2856 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

But... but birth control is against "Gods" plan! We also should all really only be having sex to make babies!

Only if you're Catholic!

#2857 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:02 PM

^That didn't stop the priests... :-/

• sdwright.vic likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2858 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

I think abortion is horrible and would love to see the abortion rate as near to zero as possible.

Where a "conservative" disagrees with me is how to achieve that. I say education and access to birth control while conservatives say "make a law against it'. 

Conservatives no longer persue "Make a law against abortion".  We still believe that it should be against the law , but we also know that such a notion has been defeated enough times to move on from it and focus on other issues.

#2859 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:28 PM

Only if you're Catholic!

That's not even what Catholics think. Their premarital course is basically about not doing it during certain times of the month if you don't want a baby.

#2860 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

Cant believe in todays world, abortion is a political topic.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users