Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2901 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

Whoa. There is something really disturbing and nihilistic about that reply. Who hurt you?

For a message board user, not many things are more frustrating then having your lengthy post ignored in what you think is a good-faith discussion, only for the conversation to be unilaterally reset later. :)

#2902 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:47 AM

Reality is literally the opposite; new arrivals are on average more educated than the Canadian-born (humanitarian-basis refugees are only a fraction of total immigrants) and tend to be white-collar. If anything the problem is that they're too educated as they aren't filling all the vacancies showing up in sectors like construction, natural resources and healthcare frontlines (which is why businesses are basically always calling for more TFWs). All the Chinese you overhear when you go to Richmond certainly aren't coming from poor, barely literate people...

That is why I referred to an ethnic divide. Go east of BC and most of the immigrants are from impoverished or war torn regions. 

#2903 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

That is why I referred to an ethnic divide. Go east of BC and most of the immigrants are from impoverished or war torn regions. 

For the most part they aren't the refugee or disposable-labor types, though. Conventional immigration takes place through the points system, where language skill, educational level and prior/arranged work experience in Canada are the main contributors to a successful application - rest assured, there's plenty of competition to make sure those going through score highly. Not sure whether Eastern Canada gets a higher % of migrants from different streams than BC, though.

#2904 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

For the most part they aren't the refugee or disposable-labor types, though. Conventional immigration takes place through the points system, where language skill, educational level and prior/arranged work experience in Canada are the main contributors to a successful application - rest assured, there's plenty of competition to make sure those going through score highly. Not sure whether Eastern Canada gets a higher % of migrants from different streams than BC, though.

Yeah but the points system can be bypassed if the Gov't want to. I think that many immigrants settle to Montreal if they are from French language countries and Toronto attracts people with limited language skills but who can blend into an established community.

#2905 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

Yeah but the points system can be bypassed if the Gov't want to. I think that many immigrants settle to Montreal if they are from French language countries and Toronto attracts people with limited language skills but who can blend into an established community.

well, it's not about "bypassing" it. You can settle if you're highly educated, young and have had a lot of interactions with Canada without scoring full marks on your language capabilities - that's how a lot of international students transition towards immigration (and why you have private colleges bordering on diploma mills loaded with internationals). Quebec does allocate their points differently but strangely, language doesn't actually seem to weight as heavily, while they put a lot more emphasis on age and the characteristics of the family.

#2906 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

NAFTA deal reached!

https://globalnews.c...ment-finalized/

Considering our current government and the negotiations team, I think is a great deal.
  • David Bratzer and lanforod like this

#2907 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:12 PM

NAFTA deal reached!

https://globalnews.c...ment-finalized/

Considering our current government and the negotiations team, I think is a great deal.

Time will tell if it's a great deal.

#2908 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

Everyone will be claiming that they finessed the other, the devil will be in the details. Looks promising from our side but I won't form much of an opinion until the last word has been penned.

#2909 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

As to the new deal, the one thing i hoped for was an end to supply management.    

#2910 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

As to the new deal, the one thing i hoped for was an end to supply management.    

Me too.  Their is but one Party that vows to end Supply Management........The PPC (People's Party Of Canada) recently formed by Maxime Berniere. His party will also end Corporate Welfare, reform our immigration policies, His party if elected will also deregulating the telecom industry (CBC will go private) , increase airline competition, reduce tax brackets, and have a discussion around the privatization of Canada Post. In just 3 weeks since the party's creation, there are some 50,000 members.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 05 October 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#2911 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:26 PM

Me too.  Their is but one Party that vows to end Supply Management........The PPC (People's Party Of Canada) recently formed by Maxime Berniere. His party will also end Corporate Welfare, reform our immigration policies, His party if elected will also deregulating the telecom industry (CBC will go private) , increase airline competition, reduce tax brackets, and have a discussion around the privatization of Canada Post. In just 3 weeks since the party's creation, there are some 50,000 members.

I had not heard that it was at 50,000 members.  Building a new national party of any consequence is an insanely hard task and very expensive.   Since the 1930s we have only seen entirely new serious federal parties - Reform, which ended up being immersed into the old PC party, and the Bloc which is now dead.   One MP does not make a party (the Greens)

I personally do not have the energy or inclination to be active in a new party

#2912 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

I used to criticize Harper during his campaign last election when he would (showboat) by throwing dollars in a garbage can, citing this is what happens if the Trudeau
and the Liberals get in.

https://nationalpost...17-76f94c1f953e

Between the stock markets stagnate performance and sinking Canadian dollar, I wonder if anyone else has noticed the good idea fairy philosophy budget has not been working over the last 3 years?

#2913 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:58 PM

It’s not so much the lame duck that is the Trudeau government, but the powerhouse that is the Trump government.
  • Bernard likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2914 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:01 PM

It’s not so much the lame duck that is the Trudeau government, but the powerhouse that is the Trump government.

“The [US] federal government’s red ink this year is already 21 percent above what it was in 2017, and there are few prospects that the bottom line will improve anytime soon.”

https://www.usatoday...lumn/986236002/
  • Mattjvd likes this

#2915 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

The stock market is roaring, jobs are at an all-time (recent historical) high. Companies are returning to the US, American military strength is growing, NAFTA has been ripped apart, Paris has been relegated to the dust bin and now NATO countries are starting to cough up their agreed-upon commitments.

The US is doing very well, red ink notwithstanding there or anywhere else.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2916 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

I used to criticize Harper during his campaign last election when he would (showboat) by throwing dollars in a garbage can, citing this is what happens if the Trudeau
and the Liberals get in.

https://nationalpost...17-76f94c1f953e

Between the stock markets stagnate performance and sinking Canadian dollar, I wonder if anyone else has noticed the good idea fairy philosophy budget has not been working over the last 3 years?

Bet you aren't a Liberal now? LOL

#2917 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

“The [US] federal government’s red ink this year is already 21 percent above what it was in 2017, and there are few prospects that the bottom line will improve anytime soon.”

Republican deficits are good. They never have to be paid back.

Not like those dirty rotten, economy-sucking, future-mortgaging Democratic deficits.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#2918 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

Bet you aren't a Liberal now? LOL

I try not follow party line. But do base my vote on economic balance. Once achieved all other agendas/promises/party priorities can follow in line.

With foreign investment dropping consecutively for the past 9 quarters (27 months!), trade agreements have worsen with the US( NAFTA),Europe (CETA),and Trans Pacific (CPTPP).

Add the small business uncertainty in Canada (via Mornuea taxes).

Add this to the record deficit budgets.

Current Federal government does scare me.

#2919 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

NAFTA ripped apart??? Lol. C'mon Mike, it was very slightly tweaked.

#2920 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:50 PM

https://www.theglobe...x-trudeau-says/

Confused me totally.

How does BC, Alberta get left out of the rebates?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users