Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2941 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:28 PM

33,000 is a pretty good number for the PPC. The Tories had 150,000 before last year's leadership race.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#2942 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

33,000 is a pretty good number for the PPC. The Tories had 150,000 before last year's leadership race.

For a party that's been around for only 3 months, 33,000 members is a pretty good sign of how well this party's momentum is actually going and the strength of the party growing. . 

We don't hear much out here on the WEST about the new party because BC is an orange and red province, but it is growing extremely fast across Canada, with it's highest membership rates coming out of Alberta.

The PPC really is the NEW Conservative party option for Canada. And people who have held memberships in the NDP and the LIBERAL Party have already made the switch and joined the PPC and have told Maxime Bernier exactly why they have chosen to support him and the PPC. 

The PPC will without doubt have a candidate running in all Ridings come next falls' Federal election. And if the party can get enough support and following between now and then, the chance of knocking the Conservative Party of Canada into extinction just may happen.

#2943 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

I met and spoke with a woman who wants to run for Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke on behalf of the PPC. She’s a business lady from Renfrew.
  • Mystic-Pizza likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2944 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

I met and spoke with a woman who wants to run for Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke on behalf of the PPC. She’s a business lady from Renfrew.

I would assume she was at yesterday's PPC meeting in the west shore to let her intention be known to the others.  As long as her background check comes out good, I am sure she will be given the green light to do so.

#2945 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:33 PM

Yup, I would imagine she was there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2946 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:53 PM

For a party that's been around for only 3 months, 33,000 members is a pretty good sign of how well this party's momentum is actually going and the strength of the party growing. . 

We don't hear much out here on the WEST about the new party because BC is an orange and red province, but it is growing extremely fast across Canada, with it's highest membership rates coming out of Alberta.

The PPC really is the NEW Conservative party option for Canada. And people who have held memberships in the NDP and the LIBERAL Party have already made the switch and joined the PPC and have told Maxime Bernier exactly why they have chosen to support him and the PPC. 

The PPC will without doubt have a candidate running in all Ridings come next falls' Federal election. And if the party can get enough support and following between now and then, the chance of knocking the Conservative Party of Canada into extinction just may happen.

I think PPC being Reform 2.0 is a long shot for now. My opinion is that they won't make much of a splash electorally because conservatives and people generally grumpy with the Liberals won't want to vote for a party without a chance of being either government or official opposition. What matters is whether the CPC can do well enough to knock the Liberals into a minority because if they don't, then voters will be a lot more warmer towards the PPC as an anti-Trudeau alternative. And to me, the ultimate end game of the PPC is to absorb/merge into the CPC and have Bernier as the leader of the consolidated party because FPTP won't allow the PPC to have a geographical stronghold (support is very diffused across the country like the Greens, as opposed to Reform being the Western conservative option even if the party didn't do well east of Manitoba).

Edited by Casual Kev, 02 December 2018 - 04:54 PM.

#2947 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:15 PM

I think PPC being Reform 2.0 is a long shot for now. My opinion is that they won't make much of a splash electorally because conservatives and people generally grumpy with the Liberals won't want to vote for a party without a chance of being either government or official opposition. What matters is whether the CPC can do well enough to knock the Liberals into a minority because if they don't, then voters will be a lot more warmer towards the PPC as an anti-Trudeau alternative. And to me, the ultimate end game of the PPC is to absorb/merge into the CPC and have Bernier as the leader of the consolidated party because FPTP won't allow the PPC to have a geographical stronghold (support is very diffused across the country like the Greens, as opposed to Reform being the Western conservative option even if the party didn't do well east of Manitoba).

I think the toughest part for the PPC is going to be the funding and the money to run Election Advertising and Campaign advertising. Advertising can make or break a party during a Federal Election, and it takes a Crap load of money to put on TV Adds, Radio Adds, and even internet adds (which are the most affordable of those options) 

When the party formed Max did state that he has a "MAJOR" Backer to the party, but he has yet to reveal who or what that entity is. I was thinking of some people who will likely have acted as personal Big Money backers already, and Brian Mulroney is one name I think is part of that. I would say at this point he likely has even more large backers do to how he has been able to prove how quickly the party is growing.

Ultimately YES, it would be much easier if Max could have simply been elected party leader of the CPC. But he only lost by less then 70 votes to Andrew Sheer. That right there tells you how Conservative members were thinking during the leadership race.  He knew what Andrew Sheer was going to do to the party. How he was going to completely change it from the party that Stephen Harper created, and he wanted to stop that. But unfortunately he didn't get in. Personally I voted for Pierre Lemieux for party Leadership, as I believe he was the only one running that was running on a platform completely dedicated to  "Social Conservatism" However Max was either my 2nd or 3rd vote.

#2948 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:38 PM

This week, the PPC number is up to 292 for established electoral districts. There are only 46 ridings left in the country that don’t have their People’s Party association in place. The party continues to grow and strengthen.  Watch out Andrew Sheer and Justin Trudeau.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 09 December 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#2949 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:24 AM

This week, the PPC number is up to 292 for established electoral districts. There are only 46 ridings left in the country that don’t have their People’s Party association in place. The party continues to grow and strengthen.  Watch out Andrew Sheer and Justin Trudeau.

Excellent.  I hope they do very well and bleed 15% from Scheer so we can continue with mediocre but not terrible Trudeau.

• John M. and Cassidy like this

#2950 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:41 AM

Conservatives dislike Trudeau more than they dislike Scheer. The PPC will be around for one cycle. Campaign finance laws limit the influence of “major financial backers”.

#2951 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:27 AM

I see the PPC splitting the Conservative vote. NDP will continue to decline.

That said, sad to say, I see another four years with Trudeau.

#2952 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

Agreed, sad to say. Trudeau seems to have some decent advisors who he listens too a bit more as election year draws closer. Just in the past few days: rolling back the 'values test', and the sanctioned privacy breach (finance data gathering) are two examples of minimizing damage prior to election.

Both of those cost him a lot more support than he gained. Rolling them back makes them a distant memory come election.

Edited by lanforod, 10 December 2018 - 08:30 AM.

#2953 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:05 AM

I see the PPC splitting the Conservative vote. NDP will continue to decline.

That said, sad to say, I see another four years with Trudeau.

I don't think the PPC will be much of a factor at all.  Best case scenario, they keep Maxime's seat.  I have noticed a growing dislike of Trudeau in general and I predict a Conservative win.  Forum poll from November showed conservative majority 

#2954 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:30 PM

Canadians can expect to go to the polls Oct. 21.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ction-1.4948404

#2955 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,323 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

this is a good read on the NDp

https://nationalpost...m-or-vice-versa

#2956 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

BREAKING: Liberal candidate steps aside following controversial social media post

Karen Wang, who was going to be running in the Burnaby South by-election for the Liberals, came under fire after reports surfaced she had posted a racial post on WeChat. The Liberal Party says her recent comments "are not aligned with the values of the Liberal Party of Canada."

#2957 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

Victoria Watcher, on 16 Jan 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

BREAKING: Liberal candidate steps aside following controversial social media post

Karen Wang, who was going to be running in the Burnaby South by-election for the Liberals, came under fire after reports surfaced she had posted a racial post on WeChat. The Liberal Party says her recent comments "are not aligned with the values of the Liberal Party of Canada."

That is a big break for Singh.

#2958 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

This is the future of Metro Vancouver politics.  Chinese and Indo-Canadians battling it out for political domination while the 20% white population gets upset when it gets too racial 

• Wayne likes this

#2959 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

This is the future of Metro Vancouver politics.  Chinese and Indo-Canadians battling it out for political domination while the 20% white population gets upset when it gets too racial 

Until I spoke with some friends from both of the groups, I didn't realize how much animosity there was between them.

Edited by spanky123, 16 January 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#2960 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

It's almost as if the Libs did this on purpose to help Singh out. Trudeau would love to see Singh hang around for another year as NDP leader. 

• rjag and nerka like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users