2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#3281 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,935 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

i don't take issue with it.  she is a councillor not the mayor.  councillor is part-time job.  she can stay on and do the ndp thing.

#3282 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

I presume the ndp told Ben "no thanks." Perhaps his publicity-seeking hijinks backfired?

#3283 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

I presume the ndp told Ben "no thanks." Perhaps his publicity-seeking hijinks backfired?

Last time there was a 4 way election. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing again. AFAIK, only the Greens have acclaimed a candidate.

#3284 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

She hasnt been endorsed by the NDP yet, shes proclaiming her desire to run for them. I'm sure Ben is feeling butthurt right about now tho'

#3285 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

She hasnt been endorsed by the NDP yet, shes proclaiming her desire to run for them. I'm sure Ben is feeling butthurt right about now tho'

Well there is always the Communist Party of Canada: perhaps Ben can help nudge it above the % 0.02 of the national vote it garnered in 2015. Gotta start somewhere Ben......

• rjag likes this

#3286 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,935 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:39 AM

so all the tc says today is that “the ndp has not scheduled a nomination meeting” for the victoria seat. too bad they did not dig for more information on timelines or other candidates.

#3287 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,935 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:16 AM

Matt Gurney: Trudeau’s 'contrition statement' a bit light on actual contrition

https://nationalpost...tual-contrition

#3288 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:52 AM

Matt Gurney: Trudeau’s 'contrition statement' a bit light on actual contrition

https://nationalpost...tual-contrition

Butts very effectively managed the conversation yesterday. He took the high road but very clearly portrayed JRW as a disgruntled MP who wouldn't even get a second opinion because she had already made up her mind. I am sure that others Government staff brought before the house will say the same thing. Trudeau is off the hook for now so he isn't going to apologize for anything.

Edited by spanky123, 07 March 2019 - 07:53 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3289 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

^ Thats interesting that you interpreted it that way. I watched most of it and found him to be disingenuous and a milquetoast counterpoint to JWR's testimony. 

His was of opinion, faux interpretation and timid apology. He played the '2 people can interpret things differently' card which I think was a big giveaway that something major went down behind the scenes and as long as she is muzzled she cant say what it was. 

The other 'tell' was his refusal to volunteer to take the oath and the Liberal majority voted down the motion from the other members. If he had taken it and was found to have perjured himself then it would be bad for him. Not being under oath is less damaging personally.

I am not a fan of JWR, I think she was an ineffective AG and came out with some draconian measures ie the right for Police to stop you without cause etc....but that doesnt take away from the fact that I tend to believe her in this situation. Butts is an arrogant bully and is the architect behind the folly in Ontario Power and the failed TMX mess. I do not doubt his influence in the disruption to our national unity, the disastrous economic fallout of TMX etc and the introduction of identity politics to our federal scene.

#3290 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

Right.

The whole thing centred around the election. Furthermore, as you say, JWR has been muzzled and can.t speak to some of the issues Butts was able to speak to. So the question now is, will Trudeau unmuzzle her so that she can respond to Butts' testimony, or will he keep her muzzled?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3291 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

Right.

The whole thing centred around the election. Furthermore, as you say, JWR has been muzzled and can.t speak to some of the issues Butts was able to speak to. So the question now is, will Trudeau unmuzzle her so that she can respond to Butts' testimony, or will he keep her muzzled?

Why? The MSM has moved on. Story today is about corruption at Bombardier.

#3292 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

The MSM is waiting for the next hammer to drop.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3293 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,935 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

it continues to make it awkward with them both in the caucus and going to the next election as liberals.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#3294 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

Why? The MSM has moved on. Story today is about corruption at Bombardier.

Bombardier corruption is an evergreen story.

See, that's the thing--them and SNC, they're big, aggressive companies with close ties to government. Not like Japan and China but close enough that often the fortunes of one are tied to the other. You know, jobs, votes, tax relief, contracts.

These corporations, in their zeal for desperately needed sales often get themselves in hot water, whether it's a too-good-to-be-true tax deal or a contract with a shady third-world dictatorship. Like a kid, sometimes they get naughty and need a spanking. The fact that they are Quebec-based, the corruption capital of Canada isn't meaningless.

The Liberals got stuck with this hot potato but I think any government could have been the victim in this mess. The history of Federal politics and Bombardier/SNC Lavalin etc etc is decades long, enabling, messy and likely illegal or at least unethical at times.

I'm pretty unhappy about all this. I feel the same way I felt about Clinton's involvement in the Lewinsky affair. Trudeau's my favourite leader (a low bar, yes) but although his intentions were good (helping one of Canada's big employers) he screwed over a lot of good people.

#3295 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,935 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

and to review 2012:

In one of the most well attended nomination meetings I have ever seen earlier today, University of Victoria professor Murray Rankin sailed by his closest challenger, former provincial finance and health minister Elizabeth Cull, to score a landslide first ballot victory.

With 557 eligible voters in attendance, and roughly another fifty observers and media in the overflowing room, Rankin took 352 votes on the first ballot. Cull came in second with 96, while former Victoria school board trustee Charley Beresford chalked up 51 to edge out first term Victoria city councillor Ben Isitt, who took 36 votes, for third place.

http://rabble.ca/blo...ation-landslide

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#3296 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,935 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

https://en.wikipedia...toral_district)

#3297 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

^Ha, that 2012 election....the Conservatives woke us up in Victoria at 7 am when someone in Ottawa forgot the concept of time zones and sent a scheduled robocall out to the whole riding.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#3298 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

Andrew Coyne: Why fight criminal charges in court when you can lobby?

It says a great deal that the company’s response to being charged with serious crimes was not to fight the charges in court, but to fight them in government: to lobby the politicians, to attempt to intimidate the prosecutors, to arrange calls between old civil service chums. They did so, it is logical to conclude, because they thought it would work — because they were given reason to believe it would work.

https://nationalpost...o_autoplay=true

( and what was this company charged with in the first place? corruption?  )

#3299 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

https://www.theglobe...with-hostility/

Liberals self destruction continues. Another MP angry at Trudeau gives details to Globe and Mail for the first time today

#3300 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

Andrew Coyne: Why fight criminal charges in court when you can lobby?

It says a great deal that the company’s response to being charged with serious crimes was not to fight the charges in court, but to fight them in government: to lobby the politicians, to attempt to intimidate the prosecutors, to arrange calls between old civil service chums. They did so, it is logical to conclude, because they thought it would work — because they were given reason to believe it would work.

https://nationalpost...o_autoplay=true

( and what was this company charged with in the first place? corruption?  )

To paraphrase what Churchill once said, you fight the enemy everywhere you get a chance.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)