Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#3761 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

Every time I hear a politition pissing away his or her time whining about matters that they have absolutely no mandate or idea about how to solve, I keep thinking about what they should be doing instead.

It's not rocket science in business or at home to focus on making sure that we spend less than we earn.

Municipal, Provincial, and Federal polititions should be legally forced to balance budgets and not create a deficit that our children will never be able to pay for.

http://www.debtclock.ca

Municipal governments are required to have balanced budgets but there are so many ways to game the system that it is almost meaningless. (ie project that free bus passes will match parking revenue and then later decide that it won't after the budget has been passed).

#3762 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,984 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

there really is no “easy” way to game the system. you can use reserves. or you can borrow for infrastructure.

#3763 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

there really is no “easy” way to game the system. you can use reserves. or you can borrow for infrastructure.

But once the money is a line item within the budget then its a fixed item. So even when you dont use it, the "use it or lose it" mentality sets in and thus we have March Madness buying computers, furniture, signing up for courses etc....also when a persons position becomes redundant through technology do we see that position axed? How many positions have been reduced in admin since networked accounting has been intro'd or media comms?

Government appears to be the only place where technology requires maintaining or increasing the workforce

Edited by rjag, 24 June 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#3764 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

And that is what happens, reserves get used to fund operational costs. Problem though is that those reserves were established for other purposes and by depleting them we have less money left for mundane things like water mains, roads, parks, etc.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#3765 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

Just wait for the day Alberta breaks away from its transfer payment commitment. That's a half-trillion dollars in free money every 20 years for the feds to with as they please.

Hey, enough of that. That is how Quebec funds all their "free" social programs.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3766 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,984 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:04 AM

Federal Polling: CPC: 32.8% (-1.2) LPC: 32.5% (+2.2) NDP: 16.9% (+0.1) GPC: 10.2 (-1.2) BQ: 4.9% (+0.3) PPC: 0.7% (-) Nanos Research / June 21nd / 1000 Respondents / MOE 3.1% / Telephone

#3767 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:54 AM

The PPC candidate for Richmond Centre showed up at the city Council meeting last night to voice his opposition to a rainbow sidewalk because it only has 6 stripes and real rainbows have 7 stripes which is more inclusive. I'm serious.

#3768 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

Oh God. Whether the colour spectrum has six or seven colours depends on whether you think indigo is a separate colour or should be demoted and split into its neighbours, blue and violet. If you see seven, fine. If you see six, fine. If you are colour blind and see only three that's fine, too.

Colour is merely the brain's interpretation of the activity of the rods and cones inside our eyeball to different wavelengths of light. In other words, colour is all in our mind. 

Let's hope Richmond-Centre candidate Ivan Pak soon becomes a mere footnote in the wacky history of BC politics.

#3769 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

^ The argument I could actually understand is for an 8-stripe rainbow, as that was the original design. Pink was removed because the fabric was not available in sufficient quantities to mass produce the flag, and turquoise was removed because San Francisco wanted symmetrical 3-stripe banners (i.e. a total of 6 stripes) to line the pride parade route. Again, I'm serious. 

#3770 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:16 PM

TIL: Jackerbie is serious.  About Rainbows.

There's some sort of connection...

#3771 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

Trudeau was caught eating pizza with a plastic knife and fork. Global asked the PMO about this, to which they replied they plan to wash the utensils and reuse them.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3772 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

Trudeau was caught eating pizza with a plastic knife and fork. Global asked the PMO about this, to which they replied they plan to wash the utensils and reuse them.

What he should have said was something about how making the default 'to-go' utensils out of plastic is the problem and a shift to those weird feeling in your mouth bamboo ones should be a priority.  

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3773 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

^ What really should have been said (and would be consistent with the usual way of doing things) is that the plastic utensils were acquired by the Harper government and it would be irresponsible to throw them away without using them at least once.

• Mike K., Wayne, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#3774 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

Who eats pizza with a knife and fork?

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3775 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

At least Trump eats his fast food with washable silverware.

#3776 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

Did some restriction drop today?  I've had two robocalls tonight, and a door knock canvass.  Ugh.

#3777 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

At least Trump eats his fast food with washable silverware.

I don't care how many times it's been washed.  Where Trump's spoon came from, I'd never want to eat off of it!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3778 miekjones

miekjones
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

The People's Party of Canada has their list of candidates showing the following 3 local candidates:

cowichan-malahat-langford:  Wade Mahowich

esquimalt saanich sooke: Michel Joseph

saanich gulf islands: Ron Broda

victoria: Alyson Culbert

#3779 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

Welcome to VV.

Miekjones, did you intend to register Mikejones as your username? If so, we can change that for you. If not, carry on :)

For those who may not know, Ron Broda is the fellow who was seriously injured when his motorcycle was struck on Dallas Road during what had been described as a road rage incident.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3780 miekjones

miekjones
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

Thanks, but I need to differentiate myself from the other mikes on this board. On my research, the PPC is the only party that has announced the candidates in all local ridings.  Greens, Conservatives, Libs, NDP all have one or two candidates still to fill. 

I have no idea who any of these candidates are.  Im not sure its the same ron broda as the road rage thing at ogden point or not. Seems like an odd choice for a high profile riding. 

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users