2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#3821 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

Interesting question lanforod. I believe it would be possible. But I sure haven't heard any buzz about someone waiting in the wings. And honestly, it's hard to even come up with a name of someone who would fit the "rock star" category.

I disagree with you Juno. The Greens almost pulled off a win last election, with a well respected, incumbent NDP MP. Now Murray Rankin is gone, and Collins is not a very familiar name. Plus a lot of traditional dipper voters aren't very excited about their leader. I would say the Greens stand a very good chance of taking Victoria this time around.

• jonny likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3822 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

^ I suspect that quite a few Vancouver Island ridings will be targeted by the Greens. Pamela Anderson showed up to a BC Greens event in Nanaimo last week. Manly was also in attendance, so maybe we'll see more of Pam through the federal campaign.

#3823 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:20 PM

Hey Sparky, ask Gabe about Richard. He’s quite a character!

Matt.

#3824 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

The only "rockstar" candidate the liberals could have pulled was Lisa Helps and clearly that isn't happening

#3825 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:03 AM

• NDP - Many can't support their leader regardless of who runs locally. He's weak on every front (most folks have never heard him speak, and couldn't repeat his platform for trying).
  • Green - Many can't support their leader regardless of who runs locally. She's never impressed with her policy details, and has too frequently appeared somewhat unhinged at large public gatherings.
  • Liberal - Are incredibly weak on presenting a candidate locally, one who may resonate with voters who won't ever vote Green or NDP. Quite amazing really, you'd think they'd do better (it's a far cry from the David Anderson days).
  • Conservative - Many can't support their leader regardless of who runs locally. Lots of Vancouver Island folks I know absolutely don't want to move Canada to the right. 

So it appears a vote for Cons or Libs will be a vote for their federal leader regardless of who runs locally, and being south Vancouver Island that could really only be the Libs.

Votes for the NDP or Greens will be mix of voting for the local, and voting for the leader, and Singh can't win due to his apparent inability to get even the slightest traction with folks who aren't hard-core NDP supporters.

All of the above in context seems to point to a Green or Lib victory on south Vancouver Island. If Trudeau can rise in the polls, he stands a chance here ... but if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the Greens as a result of Vancouver Islands general leanings to the left and our (now quite established) position of apparently being "OK" with zero effective representation at the federal level.

Edited by Cassidy, 23 July 2019 - 07:05 AM.

• GaryRanson and Awaiting Juno like this

#3826 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:09 AM

The Greens hope to become Trudeau's kingmakers. If they can garner just enough seats to prop up a minority Liberal government that will be a huge victory for the party.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3827 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

The Greens hope to become Trudeau's kingmakers. If they can garner just enough seats to prop up a minority Liberal government that will be a huge victory for the party.

That seems to the Green plan across the board, both federally and provincially. It's kind of a lame plan, and doesn't really speak to a party trying to grow itself beyond anything but what it is today ... which is a complete political anomaly taking place in a very small area of a very specific part of Canada.

Makes for a weak and pretty ineffective government though, with endless pandering and sucking up to the (in this case) Greens.

Manley has already very publicly stating that the Greens will be completely comfortable propping up any party.

• Awaiting Juno and VIResident like this

#3828 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

Especially as the Green 'Mission Possible' plan has been debunked as unrealistic and unworkable

#3829 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

That seems to the Green plan across the board, both federally and provincially. It's kind of a lame plan, and doesn't really speak to a party trying to grow itself beyond anything but what it is today ... which is a complete political anomaly taking place in a very small area of a very specific part of Canada.

A few specific parts of Canada, actually: the Greens are strong in PEI these days (though it may or may not translate into any seats, I'd not at all be surprised to see them get one there this time around) as well as here on the Island and in one or two ridings in the BC interior e.g. whichever one includes Nelson.

Their best-case ceiling, barring something very unexpected*, is still only about 6 seats nationwide - we just happen to be living in one of them. :)

* - or massive dissatisfaction arising with all three established parties, not a completely zero-chance scenario given the current race to the bottom among them. :)

• rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#3830 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

The Greens are so 'all in' for Proportional Representation, that I don't have a lot of respect for their attitude. They harp that your vote doesn't count in our current system, so we need PR. But come election time, it's "every vote counts". I see it as saying we can't really compete in the current system. But we will if we don't get our way to change everything.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Meanwhile independent candidates get elected and serve their constituents very well without having to fall back on tired excuses like "we'd be voted in if we had PR." Just be the best candidate for the community you wish to serve, and the rest will fall into place.

• Hotel Mike likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3832 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

Anyone know why Chris Coleman withdrew his name for the Liberal nomination?

#3833 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:34 PM

A few specific parts of Canada, actually: the Greens are strong in PEI these days (though it may or may not translate into any seats.......

The reality is they've only won one seat in an actual Federal election, with their second seat coming in a poorly contested local by-election ... both of those wins on southern Vancouver Island.

Until they actually win some seats in full elections ... I'm still prone to continue thinking of the Greens as a Vancouver Island phenomenon.

But then again ... change is inevitable in Canadian federal politics!

#3834 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

People love to rag on the US because they are saddled with the Donald (who nevertheless, given that the Dems are running about 127 bazillion candidates, just might get his second term)....

Well as summarized above just look at the dreck choices we have in this country. Jagmeet?? Justin?!? Scheer (really Jason Kenney?!??) Liz??!?? And now in the UK they have.......Boris. Good Christ what a mess.

China might just end up running the planet a lot sooner than later......

Edited by AllseeingEye, 23 July 2019 - 07:41 PM.

• rjag, Wayne, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#3835 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:25 AM

The Greens are so 'all in' for Proportional Representation, that I don't have a lot of respect for their attitude. They harp that your vote doesn't count in our current system, so we need PR. But come election time, it's "every vote counts". I see it as saying we can't really compete in the current system. But we will if we don't get our way to change everything.

It's 'every vote counts' for any party in any riding that thinks it has even a remote chance of winning that riding, which only makes sense.  But PR in some form is still very necessary to reduce the discrepancy - for all parties - between votes given and seats won; and then it'd be 'every vote counts' in every riding, which makes even more sense. :)

#3836 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:09 AM

It makes sense until it doesn't, though. PR can lead to stalemates, squabbles among parties, and political square dancing to favour party politics rather than the electorate.

Look the GreeNDP and how unnecessary some of the NDP's politics/policies have been with the Greens holding the balance of power.

Know it all.

#3837 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

PM Justin Trudeau has just named Murray Rankin (retiring NDP MP for Victoria) to be chair of the National Security and Intelligence Review Agency.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...dp-mp-1.5223425

#3838 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

Seems like a good choice. He's well qualified for the post.
  • Mike K. likes this

#3839 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

It makes sense until it doesn't, though. PR can lead to stalemates, squabbles among parties, and political square dancing to favour party politics rather than the electorate.

Look the GreeNDP and how unnecessary some of the NDP's politics/policies have been with the Greens holding the balance of power.

Party politics is favoured over the electorate in the current system too - no change there.  And a simple teeter-totter balance of power setup like we have now isn't the best either.

But a many-party system where parties have to - oh, the horror - get along and put some differences aside in order to govern, and no one party holds the power balance?  Seems fine from here.

#3840 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:55 AM

But muzzling former ambassadors? Colluding with private companies to shut down press inquiries? To say nothing of attempting to interfere with the independence of the Attorney General and of the prosecutors in her department? The Harper gang had nothing on this bunch.

https://nationalpost...s-liberal-bunch

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users