Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#21 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

^^ All great (and sensible) reasons, IMHO, but I see one main sticking point, and that is the lack of a timely field test for impaired driving.(To the best of my knowledge.)

While society has taken great steps towards reducing the incidence of drunk driving, I wonder if we'll be starting again with education around stoned driving - especially with a generation who've grown up with the mantra that 'pot is less dangerous than alcohol, mannn' ringing in their ears.. 

• jonny likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#22 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

I know Murray Rankin for sure supports legalization, but I wouldn't expect him to speak against official party policy, especially on the campaign trail 

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

^^ All great (and sensible) reasons, IMHO, but I see one main sticking point, and that is the lack of a timely field test for impaired driving.(To the best of my knowledge.)
While society has taken great steps towards reducing the incidence of drunk driving, I wonder if we'll be starting again with education around stoned driving - especially with a generation who've grown up with the mantra that 'pot is less dangerous than alcohol, mannn' ringing in their ears..

There will be one soon. http://www.theglobea...rticle19285987/

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

Sounds like Jo-Ann Roberts is considering running for the federal Green Party in Victoria. Adam Stirling is on Twitter talking about the possibility of running for the Liberals.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

Sounds like Jo-Ann Roberts is considering running for the federal Green Party in Victoria. Adam Stirling is on Twitter talking about the possibility of running for the Liberals.

Interesting... how did the TC article on Roberts miss that entirely this week?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

The TC is usually two days behind on this stuff, so look for it in Tuesdays paper.

#27 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Hard to blame the TC on this as she hasn't officially announced yet, but I've been told (by a person in the media who knows her as well as another person heavily involved with the Greens) that she has been in talks with Elizabeth May to run in Victoria for some time now. What makes this extra interesting is the fact that Don Galloway had been planning to run again and up until a week or so ago, the Greens were planning to acclaim him and get to work on the pre-campaign period by the end of January/early February in case of a Spring election. So will Galloway step down, or will he fight (and likely lose) to Jo-Ann?

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

It was a very close election last time so with some name recognition it might just be enough to put her over. That would be sweet.

It has a whole new look!

#29 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

I think they alluded to her getting involved in some capacity, but certainly did not address it head on.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

It was a very close election last time so with some name recognition it might just be enough to put her over. That would be sweet.

I'd be happy to have Rankin gone...

In the last election, the results were:

NDP  -   Murray Rankin 14,507
Green  -   Donald Galloway 13,389
Conservative  -   Dale Gann 5,654
Liberal  -   Paul Summerville 5,097

I think we need to suspect a Liberal resurgence this time.  Andrew, what's the status of that nomination?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

Adam Stirling would be an interesting choice for the Liberals and would likely steal from the Greens and Conservatives. But yeah would love to see a different colour on the map in Victoria.

It has a whole new look!

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

The great thing is the greens know they can do it now.  Even some greens, prior to the last election might have thought it a stretch to get Elizabeth May in.  

Adam Stirling eh.  He's pretty bright, with a good sense of humour.  I'm not sure his name is all that recognizable.

#33 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

Maybe Jo-Anne Roberts will run in the new Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke riding.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

Adam Stirling would be an interesting choice for the Liberals and would likely steal from the Greens and Conservatives. But yeah would love to see a different colour on the map in Victoria.

I will be supporting the Greens.

#35 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Early Days prediction for the Victoria riding will be:

Green
NDP
Liberal
Conservative

Greens will pull out very slim win (a la Lisa Helps) over the NDP. The Liberals will manage their strongest showing in years but still end up in 3rd. Conservative vote will fall even further.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Early Days prediction for the Victoria riding will be:

Green

Liberal
NDP
Conservative

All across the country, the Liberals will get back that vote that went NDP.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#37 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

30 new ridings all across the the country this time.

The lines here change a bit as Colwood and Langford are split up, but I don't expect much change in voter makeup. 4 ridings south of Nanaimo now, instead of 3. Nanaimo is now one riding, instead of two, splitting Cowichan south, and Alberni north.

The 'new' ridings in this area: http://www.redecoupa...08-victoria.pdf

Current ones here: http://www.elections...v=59&b=n&lang=e

I wouldn't be surprised to see another Green seat here either. The NDP vote here may drop considerably, some going to the Liberals, resulting in a Green win. Not much change in the Conservative vote, I think there is too much fatigue over this long Harper government. Change is inevitable in politics.

338 seats overall. Overall prediction from me, another Conservative government, but a minority: 162 Conservative, 101 Liberal, 72 NDP, 1 Green, 2 Bloc

Edited by lanforod, 05 January 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#38 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

What will be interesting is just how many seats the NDP lose (if any). I think it very possible they drop down to low 60's. My prediction is Liberals win a thin minority.

#39 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

Former Esquimalt Councillor David Hodgins has announced candidacy for Green Party in Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke riding.

#40 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

What will be interesting is just how many seats the NDP lose (if any). I think it very possible they drop down to low 60's. My prediction is Liberals win a thin minority.

That would take a major scandal or mistake by the Conservatives in order to lose around 60 seats.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users