screenshot-twitter.com-2023.01.04-07_32_40.png

#82 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:10 PM

Terrebonne police, city slammed with $205K lawsuit for systemic discrimination

Black resident stopped 15 times while driving over 3-year period

Quebec's Human Rights and Youth Rights Commission (CDPDJ) is seeking $205,000 in damages on behalf of Pierre-Marcel Monsanto, a Terrebonne resident of Haitian descent, after police stopped him over a dozen times and fined him without valid reason. Included in the lawsuit is $20,000 in punitive damages against the city.

Monsanto filed 15 complaints against Terrebonne police for stopping him without valid reason between 2018 and 2021 and issuing him more than $6,000 in fines. Fourteen of those stops were made within 11 months.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...olice-1.6703471

What was he fined for? More missing information in this article.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 03:13 PM.

#83 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:25 PM

Terrebonne police, city slammed with $205K lawsuit for systemic discrimination

Black resident stopped 15 times while driving over 3-year period

Quebec's Human Rights and Youth Rights Commission (CDPDJ) is seeking $205,000 in damages on behalf of Pierre-Marcel Monsanto, a Terrebonne resident of Haitian descent, after police stopped him over a dozen times and fined him without valid reason. Included in the lawsuit is $20,000 in punitive damages against the city.

Monsanto filed 15 complaints against Terrebonne police for stopping him without valid reason between 2018 and 2021 and issuing him more than $6,000 in fines. Fourteen of those stops were made within 11 months.

What was he fined for? More missing information in this article.

Not sure that info is available...  Not a new story however, found an April story..  Did you want to go over each fine?

Police ethics commissioner upholds eight racial profiling claims | News | thesuburban.com

Monsanto was issued more than $6,000 in fines for over a dozen infractions such as burnt-out taillights and ‘distracted driving.’ He was pulled over by police nearly 40 times in less than a year. Most of his tickets were settled in court or thrown out but there is no end to the discrimination he faces on the road, according to Monsanto.

Edited by Ismo07, 04 January 2023 - 03:26 PM.

#84 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:29 PM

Well if he had burnt out taillights then he did.

40 pullovers means his taillights really suck.

Distracted driving, might be harder to adjudicate.

I suspect something more might be going on here.

“Over a dozen infractions” but only two named. Can’t go over more although I’d like to.

I’m just asking for more details in the news articles. I’m not trying the case.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 03:32 PM.

#85 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:42 PM

Well if he had burnt out taillights then he did.

40 pullovers means his taillights really suck.

Distracted driving, might be harder to adjudicate.

I suspect something more might be going on here.

“Over a dozen infractions” but only two named. Can’t go over more although I’d like to.

I’m just asking for more details in the news articles. I’m not trying the case.

I guess but if a lower amount of black people are getting a higher amount of these sorts of stops there is an issue.  The problem might be where he contested these tickets and they get thrown out, what is going on.  That is a lot of stops.  I'd like other incidents that rival that.   

#86 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:48 PM

I guess but if a lower amount of black people are getting a higher amount of these sorts of stops there is an issue.

How so? A higher amount of males are being charged with murder. Than females. Systemic imbalance? Sounds like there is “an issue”.

Some good background reading for you:

https://www.city-jou...nked-12244.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 03:49 PM.

#87 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:49 PM

I guess but if a lower amount of black people are getting a higher amount of these sorts of stops there is an issue.

How so? A higher amount of males ate being charged with murder. Than females. Systemic imbalance? Sounds like there is “an issue”.

Yeah that's the same...  I wish we would hear about a white fellow being pulled over this many times...

Edited by Ismo07, 04 January 2023 - 03:50 PM.

#88 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:50 PM

Yeah that's the same...

It is. One identifiable group substituted for the other. Read my link on the turnpike speeders.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 03:50 PM.

#89 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:55 PM

It is. One identifiable group substituted for the other. Read my link on the turnpike speeders.

No it's not...  Murder and being pulled over for little petty things are hardly the same.  Are you suggesting there are 10% men and 90% women and only men are being caught for murder?

#90 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:57 PM

In Chicago, 78% of the murdered are black. 71% of the killers are black.

But Chicago is 31% white and only 28% black.

What gives? Bad statistics?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 03:57 PM.

#91 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:58 PM

No it's not... Murder and being pulled over for little petty things are hardly the same. Are you suggesting there are 10% men and 90% women and only men are being caught for murder?

My link clearly shows blacks are doing the bad driving at twice the rate of whites.

That’s what I’m saying.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2023 - 03:58 PM.

#92 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:02 PM

My link clearly shows blacks are doing the bad driving at twice the rate of whites.

That’s what I’m saying.

You are talking about murders in prevalent black neighbourhoods...  We are talking about a black man driving in a white town...  apples and tangerines.  Not same amount of blacks and whites...

Edited by Ismo07, 04 January 2023 - 04:02 PM.

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:04 PM

Sometimes, despite what you hope, a certain demographic does the bad stuff overwhelmingly.

If you’d take a second to read my turnpike study you’d understand. You are ignoring it.

#94 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:11 PM

Sometimes, despite what you hope, a certain demographic does the bad stuff overwhelmingly.

If you’d take a second to read my turnpike study you’d understand. You are ignoring it.

I get what you are saying, it's overwhelming... However, sometimes white cops don't like black people....  Over 115,000 people, 13,000 black folks...  I don't know, I'd like to see more.  Even if this guy is 50% worse with driving infractions I'm not sure, what was it 40 stops in less than a calendar year?  I mean I guess if he drove more?  SKIP?  Taxi?  Uber?  I don't know.  

#95 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:45 PM

Sounds to me like Monsanto should be using public transportation. Why does he still have a license?

• Ismo07 likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#96 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 11:39 AM

Sometimes certain demographic groups are profiled by other certain demographic groups..

Edited by Ismo07, 05 January 2023 - 11:40 AM.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:05 AM

The provincial government of Alberta is calling for the retraction of an investigative piece and an apology from the CBC over its reporting on alleged influence from the premier’s office over legal proceedings relating to COVID.

Buried deep in its statement responding to the government’s demands is the admittance that CBC journalists never saw the material they alleged to be real:

So let me emphasize here that we were very careful not only to confirm the bona fides of the sources we spoke with, but to corroborate the information they gave us. It was only after we had spoken with multiple sources and were satisfied with its credibility and authenticity that we published it.

What the story did not say explicitly, but should have is that our journalists had not seen the alleged emails. It was an inadvertent omission. And when our editors realized the story didn't say that specifically, we included that information and added a prominent editor's note to advise readers of the addition.

Prominent note, made well after the fact.

Secret unnamed sources. No material proving the allegations was ever shown to journalists. But we’re certain the information we presented is real, because we verified the secretive sources to be real. - https://www.cbc.ca/n...story-1.6728100

Of course, the public isn’t allowed to comment on this story under the article.

Something is very wrong here, and it’s not helping the already tethered relationship between the public and journalistic institutions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 09:23 AM

It’s fair that young people might feel angry at the state of the world and those who got us here. They have every right to push back against older people and the harm they’ve caused. However, gen Z is also the first generation raised on social media, and they are only just discovering the power it yields. They aren’t necessarily experienced enough to understand the damage caused when pitting people against one another, regardless of the reason.

- https://www.cbc.ca/p...llennials-gen-x

Harm, eh? Like paving the way for so much wealth and comfort and prosperity, that young people today have it much easier than at any point in western history.
  • Nparker, LJ and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 09:52 AM

Younger generations have pushed back against what they perceive as the failings of their predecessors for at least the past 200 years. Eventually, with enough time and life experience, most of them discover their ancestors weren't really the monsters they believed them to be.

#100 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 09:36 AM

This is really quite staggering, how a public corporation requiring literally billions of federal i.e. taxpayer dollars to remain viable and afloat, can at the same time hand out bonuses of any description, never mind the numbers and magnitudes cited below.

I've had the very good fortune of working for four (private) orgs that paid out bonuses of varying amounts and %'s at various times during their fiscal years, including my current employer. Bonuses typically are paid out either as a result of corporate financial and/or a combination of personal high performance. When I was a senior IT manager at one of those orgs I got curious - this was about the 2005/6 time-frame - and researched how many Canadian employers had a bonus program of any type at that time. The number as I recall was about 20%, and falling. How CBC can justify this is really quite something:

https://nationalpost...on-bonuses-2022

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users