Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

City Manager Jason Johnson is leaving.  He's been fired (and has been absent from council meetings since January).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 September 2017 - 12:32 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1182 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

City Manager Jason Johnson is leaving.  He's been fired (and has been absent from council meetings since January).

So he gets the 8 months that he hasn't been on the job plus another 12 months severance. How can one get a job at the CoV? 

#1183 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

I wonder what the issue(s) are. Obviously a philosophical difference on something. Or I guess worse.

Anybody know how often he meets with all council?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 September 2017 - 01:54 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1184 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

I wonder what the issue(s) are. Obviously a philosophical difference on something. Or I guess worse.

Anybody know how often he meets with all council?

I am sure that Helps will cite a confidentiality agreement for refusing to make any further comment on the matter. According to the TC, Jason's key accomplishment was putting a system into place to track stuff.

#1185 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:30 AM

I am sure that Helps will cite a confidentiality agreement for refusing to make any further comment on the matter. According to the TC, Jason's key accomplishment was putting a system into place to track stuff.

Part of a CHEK News item:

There's been a major shakeup at Victoria City Hall and it will cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A media release said Johnson will "pursue other opportunities" but when questioned about whether he had stepped down or been fired, Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps told CHEK Johnson was let go.

"Council's happy with the work he's done here," says Helps. "He did what we hired him to do and council decided it's time for a change in the city manager position."

Helps says Johnson was hired as a change agent, to re-vamp how things are run at City Hall.

"He played a critical role in modernizing the city’s financial planning process, creating greater transparency and accountability, transforming the city’s senior leadership team, strengthening the city’s relationship with the development community and overseeing major capital projects."

Helps also credits Johnson with getting the embattled Johnson Street Bridge project back on track.

Taxpayers will now be on the hook for around $270,000 for a year's salary and benefits for the outgoing city manager.

"It's a lot of money," Helps admits. "It's kind of standard compensation when a board makes a change in a senior executive, like we've done, but yes, it is a lot of money for sure."

Full story:

https://www.cheknews...hake-up-369718/

#1186 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

There are a lot of folks who will tell you that only two city employees hold everything together - those two being Jason Johnson (departed) and Chris Coates (City Clerk).

Working for a bunch of council boobs I'm sure taxes those minds that are 10 times brighter than those of city council combined, as these guys are (were).

At some point, one needs to examine the senior employee turnover at Victoria City Hall in the last 5 or 6 years ... (it's unbelievable), and draw from that bit of information that something is terribly wrong in the big, red building on Douglas Street.

• Nparker, rjag and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#1187 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

There are a lot of folks who will tell you that only two city employees hold everything together - those two being Jason Johnson (departed) and Chris Coates (City Clerk).

Working for a bunch of council boobs I'm sure taxes those minds that are 10 times brighter than those of city council combined, as these guys are (were).

At some point, one needs to examine the senior employee turnover at Victoria City Hall in the last 5 or 6 years ... (it's unbelievable), and draw from that bit of information that something is terribly wrong in the big, red building on Douglas Street.

The trend continues for Ms Helps

http://www.timescolo...-city-1.2082651

I know Rob, he is a good guy and made a lot of things happen during his 26 years there. Without saying too much about his departure as its his business, he was not a 'yes' man and I'll leave it at that.

Edited by rjag, 23 September 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#1188 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Well the way you create 'yes men' is by promoting people into positions without any competitive process or external validation. First we had Del Manak and my guess is that we will see the same for Ms. Jenkyns. I am not suggesting that either isn't competent, but we should be hiring the best and the brightest for these roles and we don't know what the options are if we don't ask.

Edited by spanky123, 23 September 2017 - 08:25 AM.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#1189 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

Ms. Jenkins basically manages the Conference Centre, so "yeah" ... the skills to manage an entire city don't automatically come with the ability to book conferences and schedule custodians.

Indeed she would seem to be terribly unqualified for the job of a City Manager.

#1190 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

^ And she 'manages' it to a big loss every year does she not?

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#1191 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

^ And she 'manages' it to a big loss every year does she not?

To be fair, it's not really her fault that Victoria can't draw the same sort of crowds as many competing cities.

#1192 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

To be fair, it's not really her fault that Victoria can't draw the same sort of crowds as many competing cities.

Convention centre space in NA is massively overbuilt https://www.straight...s-north-america

#1193 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

True but someone recommended that the City purchase Crystal gardens and pay millions to renovate it for business that was never there. Not saying it was her as I don't know how that decision came about.

#1194 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Is anyone keeping a tally on how much money has been flushed away paying people to go away, paying people not to work and paying "consultants"?
  • Nparker and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#1195 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

True but someone recommended that the City purchase Crystal gardens and pay millions to renovate it for business that was never there. Not saying it was her as I don't know how that decision came about.

Looks like the Gardens was acquired during Fortin's watch.

http://www.victoria....tal Gardens.pdf

#1196 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

^ I know the basic circumstances, the City hired a consultant who specialized in marketing conference centre expansions to advise them whether our conference centre needed to be expanded. I don't know what staff then promoted that decision.

#1197 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

For the expose pieces, we now require a piece on strange firings and severence packages that are none of our business.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1198 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

For the expose pieces, we now require a piece on strange firings and severence packages that are none of our business.

use of taxpayers money is taxpayers business

• Nparker, sdwright.vic, Nostalgic Victoria and 2 others like this

#1199 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

use of taxpayers money is taxpayers business

Especially when no benefit is gained.
  • sdwright.vic and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#1200 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

The skillful negotiators at the CoV have agreed to a 4 year contract with CUPE. 1.5% retroactive to Jan 1 this year and 2% in each of the following years. 

http://www.timescolo...nion-1.23061139

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)