Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1541 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

I’m not sure if the Baptist church can be villified because they sold their building (844) to the provincial government.

There was nothing underhanded when it came to the transactions, and fair market value is fair market value. Had the properties sold today and not in 2016 the values would have been even higher.

What I wish we employed was a system of checks and balances that showed the public how the investment were working ...or not.
  • Midnightly likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1542 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

Don’t think I vilified anybody.

Millionaires, or churches with millions ... all I said was the rich get richer because the poverty industry loves real estate.

#1543 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

What I wish we employed was a system of checks and balances that showed the public how the investment were working ...or not.

They would never do that, because then people would be out of a job

#1544 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

sebberry, on 23 Jan 2018 - 3:05 PM, said:

Not the right thread to be discussing the attire of female politicians. 

Is any thread the "right thread" for that? I am no Lisa Helps fan, but I don't think her fashion choices play much of a role in her ability to govern (or not) in the CoV.

• VicHockeyFan, Coreyburger, johnk and 2 others like this

#1545 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

I just thought I would mention here that Lisa Helps has the same excellent campaign manager as last time, and they are already assembling a team of dedicated volunteers. If there is someone planning a challenge they probably should be getting their team in place.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 2 others like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1546 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

^Please......somebody, anybody.

• sdwright.vic and mbjj like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1547 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

I just thought I would mention here that Lisa Helps has the same excellent campaign manager as last time, and they are already assembling a team of dedicated volunteers. If there is someone planning a challenge they probably should be getting their team in place.

Don't agree. Not much excitement trying to mobilize troops or funding when there is no competition. I don't see any benefit to anyone else announcing now. All it would do is rally Helps' troops and give them 8 months to dig up dirt.

I think that any candidate would be best to wait for the outcomes on outstanding hot button topics and then decide the best approach.

Who is the campaign manager for Helps by the way?

#1548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:43 AM

Gene Miller. He’s a pretty good bagman. But the rules have changed. We wil see if we can get Helps to disclose if she hoarded Union or corporate money before October 31.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 January 2018 - 07:45 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1549 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

Don't agree. Not much excitement trying to mobilize troops or funding when there is no competition. I don't see any benefit to anyone else announcing now. All it would do is rally Helps' troops and give them 8 months to dig up dirt.

I think that any candidate would be best to wait for the outcomes on outstanding hot button topics and then decide the best approach.

Who is the campaign manager for Helps by the way?

He never said announce a candidacy. He said begin to assemble your team. The machine should be up and running smoothly by the time a public announcement is made. 

#1550 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Gene Miller. He’s a pretty good bagman. But the rules have changed. We wil see if we can get Helps to disclose if she hoarded Union or corporate money before October 31.

Figured as much.

It looks like corporate sponsorships are being solicited through http://29erradio.com/lisa-gene-eric/. Lisa has promoted the channel on her facebook page. 

Edited by spanky123, 24 January 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#1551 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

Comrade isitt is the guy that is waiting. If there is no serious competition to Helps he will go for the top job.

He can wait almost as long as he wants.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 January 2018 - 08:00 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1552 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

God help us if Isitt is the only other candidate.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#1553 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

Being municipal politics, rallying the troops isn't really something that takes a lot of time.

After all, you're playing to a very limited audience.

IMO, Helps has played her cards far too early in the game, and I believe that a far more politically savvy player(s) could easily wait months before announcing their candidacy.

There's lots of time for a better, far more politically astute candidate to announce.

• Bingo likes this

#1554 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

...There's lots of time for a better, far more politically astute candidate to announce.

I sure hope you're right. I too, fear a Helps-Isitt runoff with the losers being all the residents and business owners in the CoV.

#1555 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Being municipal politics, rallying the troops isn't really something that takes a lot of time.

After all, you're playing to a very limited audience.

IMO, Helps has played her cards far too early in the game, and I believe that a far more politically savvy player(s) could easily wait months before announcing their candidacy.

There's lots of time for a better, far more politically astute candidate to announce.

Agreed. Depending on whether Ben runs, one of the strategies I am hearing from the business community is that they may simply put up 2-3 solid council candidates to fill openings and then whomever is Mayor doesn't matter. 

Edited by spanky123, 24 January 2018 - 09:56 AM.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#1556 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

Agreed. Depending on whether Ben runs, one of the strategies I am hearing from the business community is that they may simply put up 2-3 solid council candidates to fill openings and then whomever is Mayor doesn't matter. 

That's probably a good strategy. 

#1557 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

...Depending on whether Ben runs, one of the strategies I am hearing from the business community is that they may simply put up 2-3 solid council candidates to fill openings and then whomever is Mayor doesn't matter. 

That's a risky strategy. Who's to say that any of those "solid" candidates will get onto council? Have any of the current councillors indicated their intention not to run again? Unless some do, I can see all of them getting re-elected. Name recognition on the ballot goes a long way in local politics. There HAS to be a viable alternative to Ben Isitt (and not just Lisa Helps) taking a shot at the mayor's chair. It can't just be a "lesser-of-two-evils" choice for CoV voters.

• Midnightly likes this

#1558 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

That's a risky strategy. Who's to say that any of those "solid" candidates will get onto council? Have any of the current councillors indicated their intention not to run again? Unless some do, I can see all of them getting re-elected. Name recognition on the ballot goes a long way in local politics. There HAS to be a viable alternative to Ben Isitt (and not just Lisa Helps) taking a shot at the mayor's chair. It can't just be a "lesser-of-two-evils" choice for CoV voters.

Well if Ben runs that is one position open and I thought I read here that Pam was also out. If 2-3 candidates pool their resources then they should be able to do a pretty good job of getting the word out. 

The other thing that could happen is for the business community to wait for Ben to declare (thinking that it is him and Helps) and then put forward a candidate on the belief that Ben and Lisa would split some votes.

Edited by spanky123, 24 January 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#1559 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

...The other thing that could happen is for the business community to wait for Ben to declare (thinking that it is him and Helps) and then put forward a candidate on the belief that Ben and Lisa would split some votes.

That would be my preference, with of course also running candidates for any potentially vacant council seats.

#1560 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

Well if Ben runs that is one position open and I thought I read here that Pam was also out. If 2-3 candidates pool their resources then they should be able to do a pretty good job of getting the word out. 

The other thing that could happen is for the business community to wait for Ben to declare (thinking that it is him and Helps) and then put forward a candidate on the belief that Ben and Lisa would split some votes.

I think Ben will be the very last to declare his run for mayor if it happens.  He has the luxury of being able to wait.

• Rob Randall and Cassidy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users