Lisa Helps | Victoria | Mayor

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1601 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

What does any of the above post have to do with Lisa Helps as mayor of Victoria?

It's a discussion about the NDP, Helps was an endorsed candidate for city council by one of the NDP's front operations the Victoria Labour Council. That's how she got elected to council in the first place. She tried to get on the slate for Mayor but they aready had one Fortin but Helps was already the recipient of encumbancy. Now many folks don't understand what the NDP is how they work, how they use tax supported committee's and unions. The NDP is very very different from a regular political party. It's more like you're dealing with the VC and NVA.  

#1602 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

It's a discussion about the NDP, Helps was an endorsed candidate for city council by one of the NDP's front operations the Victoria Labour Council. That's how she got elected to council in the first place. She tried to get on the slate for Mayor but they aready had one Fortin but Helps was already the recipient of encumbancy. Now many folks don't understand what the NDP is how they work, how they use tax supported committee's and unions. The NDP is very very different from a regular political party. It's more like you're dealing with the VC and NVA.  

Nope.

Your ideological vitriol is inaccurate and offensive to the point where even refuting your outlandish tin-foil-hat-inspired accusations would be giving them too much creedence.

• Nparker, shoeflack, nerka and 1 other like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1603 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Nope.

Your ideological vitriol is inaccurate and offensive to the point where even refuting your outlandish tin-foil-hat-inspired accusations would be giving them too much creedence.

Facts are facts dipper. But I agree it's uncomfortable for the NDP in a quiet one on one situation without the street mob shouting or blocking citizens trying to enter opposition venues, blocking roads, spiking trees, spreading pig manure on legislature lawns the night before a rally by loggers ahd their families. The NDP needs to be exposed, especially their secret municipal political parties. Oh and their hidden electoral expense schemes. Seen it all. Mostly covered up by the Times-Communist too.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-VIE2VumpQQ

https://www.youtube....h?v=oH4DRHwwiUk

Edited by mike1981, 26 January 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#1604 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Nope.

Well I'm convinced. High level discussion indeed

#1605 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

Well, it's certainly an interesting operation.  Taxpayers indirectly fund the big public sector unions via union dues, then they in turn fund election campaigns.  To elect politicians that then direct policy in the public sector, and in some ways set staffing levels and wages.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 January 2018 - 11:26 AM.

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1606 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

It's a discussion about the NDP, Helps was an endorsed candidate for city council by one of the NDP's front operations the Victoria Labour Council. That's how she got elected to council in the first place....

Then stick to facts directly related to Ms Helps and not people from other jurisdictions.

• Cassidy likes this

#1607 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

Then stick to facts directly related to Ms Helps and not people from other jurisdictions.

Which other jurisdictions? Flemings? Helps? Isitts? The Victoria Labour Council. CUPE Local xxx etc etc?  There's only one ndp but noone seems to understand their tactics. There is no federal, provincial, municipal ndps it is one organization. If you run for council you are running against their entire electoral apparatus, lists, volunteers and funding. 95% of it is sub rosa.

#1608 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

The NDP

The all powerful electoral coalition that has 

1) Never been in power nationally and has only been out of third party status once in 150 years

2) Has formed 4 governments in the history of BC

3) has formed one government each in the history of Alberta and Ontario

4) has only captured the mayoralty of Vancouver three times in history

is obviously an unbeatable monolith in Victoria.

Give me a break!

• Matt R., tedward and Cassidy like this

#1609 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

The NDP is very very different from a regular political party. It's more like you're dealing with the VC and NVA.  

Lots of similarities. I hear Horgan is getting a list of people who voted Liberal so they can be shipped to re-education camps.  Also acquiring a few squadrons of MIG21s from the USSR.   

• VicHockeyFan, Baro, Nparker and 1 other like this

#1610 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

The NDP

The all powerful electoral coalition that has 

1) Never been in power nationally and has only been out of third party status once in 150 years

2) Has formed 4 governments in the history of BC

3) has formed one government each in the history of Alberta and Ontario

4) has only captured the mayoralty of Vancouver three times in history

is obviously an unbeatable monolith in Victoria.

Give me a break!

We are talking about the City of Victoria and the problems caused by the City of Victoria Council, 7 out 8 of which (or 9 out of 10 if you are counting the 2 near miss spares) are NDP secret municipal party machine members. But thanks for Ed Broadbent memory lane.

Edited by mike1981, 26 January 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#1611 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Lots of similarities. I hear Horgan is getting a list of people who voted Liberal so they can be shipped to re-education camps.  Also acquiring a few squadrons of MIG21s from the USSR.   

I think Col. Kilgore with a PRiC-25 and a couple of flights of F4's could solve most of Fernwood and Fairfields problems, and therefore Victorias, rather quickly. It's mostly woodframe construction.

Edited by mike1981, 26 January 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#1612 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

We are talking about the City of Victoria and the problems caused by the City of Victoria Council, 7 out 8 of which (or 9 out of 10 if you are counting the 2 near miss spares) are NDP secret municipal party machine members. But thanks for Ed Broadbent memory lane.

First of all your premise that 7 out of 8 of our councillors are "secret" NDP'ers is ridiculous.

But beyond that it isn't shocking that an area that has recently voted NDP federally and provincially has recently elected a fair number of left leaning councillors.

Sounds like you don't like it - fair enough. That doesn't mean there is some secret anti-democratic plot going on.

Imagine if East Vancouver seceded and became their own municipality. Would it be a shocker if they elected COPE/NDP councillors?

• Baro, Nparker, Coreyburger and 2 others like this

#1613 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:53 AM

Well I'm convinced. High level discussion indeed

Indeed, comparisons of a political party to the VC and NVA and other such nonsense is not what I would consider "high level discussions".
  • Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1614 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

But beyond that it isn't shocking that an area that has recently voted NDP federally and provincially has recently elected a fair number of left leaning councillors.

Indeed. The fight in the City of Victoria is between the Green Party and the NDP. That spills into the municipal ring too

• Mike K. likes this

#1615 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Indeed. The fight in the City of Victoria is between the Green Party and the NDP. That spills into the municipal ring too

To me, it is sometimes unclear what the party affiliations are at the municipal level. E.g. I umderstood that Mayor Fortin was somehow NDP affiliated and that the current mayor is possibly Green affiliated but overall I am not really clear on that.

#1616 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

Fortin was very much involved with the NDP, officially.  Helps is an "independent" but there was a lot of overlap between her campaign and the Green campaign in terms of staff and associates.  But any non-right wing politician in Victoria, regardless of how independent they are, are going to be running in very similar circles to the NDP and Greens.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1617 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

There are 2-4 NDP members on Victoria City Council and others who might lean that way at election time. A number of others would be closer to Federal Liberals (Coleman etc). Helps is a Green. Young is a Social Credit hold-out. 

Half of the labour council endorsed candidates lost last time. They're not exactly magical puppet masters. 

• tedward and nerka like this

#1618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:35 AM

NDP: Madoff, Alto

Green/NDP: Helps

Local NDP sympathizer and/or federal Liberal: T-J, Coleman

Heavily left-wing outlook, not necessarily NDP sympathizer: Loveday, Isitt

Federal Liberal: Lucas

Provincial Liberal: Young

That's how I would categorize the political outlook of our elected officials. Young and Lucas are the only wild cards as Lucas may be more to the right than I give her credit for and Young may be more centrist.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1619 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

The race she will be running is for the Federal Liberals in 2019.

Mayor Helps attended the federal Liberal convention this past weekend in Ottawa.

#1620 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

VicHockeyFan, on 03 May 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

There probably is, but why is sexuality (sexual orientation?) such a taboo subject? I mean, talking about her backyard chickens is probably pretty irrelevant, but moderators are not overly sensitive about that issue.

Perhaps because she has a choice about whether or not she has chickens.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users