Lisa Helps | Victoria | Mayor

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1641 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:30 AM

^Yes, but the article is honestly way too long. Only those that are already against helps are going to read the whole thing.

It could use a bit of editing, but it's worth the read. I posted the link on my FB page. I encourage others to do the same.

• rmpeers likes this

#1642 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:05 AM

Focus has made a habit of publishing long, well -researched articles condemning the actions of people in power in Victoria. It makes for compelling reading for sure but the articles rarely offer any examples of success in similar efforts by local governments elsewhere or how they fare compared to other communities attempting similar projects. The long article in an earlier edition on all the problems identified during the final inspection of the bridge just provided numbers with no context. How many problems do similar infrastructure projects uncover?

Its my understanding that life sucks pretty well everywhere and why we would think we could escape that reality is confusing. I disagree with the mayor on many subjects and when I am feeling spry, I occasionally do some research to see how others do things better and bring those techniques to her attention. If as a community we spent half the time we do *****ing about the councils inadequacies, and spent it on researching success elsewhere, as a community we could ensure best practice wins the day, rather than shouting at each other from our perspective corners.

• Jared and Bingo like this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#1643 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

The long article in an earlier edition on all the problems identified during the final inspection of the bridge just provided numbers with no context. How many problems do similar infrastructure projects uncover?

I think you're missing the point. The issue is not the fact that infrastructure projects frequently have flaws or that police chiefs do bad things or that statues present a whitewashed history.

The articles uncover times when our leadership makes those things worse by errors in judgement.

• rmpeers likes this

#1644 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Brutal (and accurate in my opinion) assessment of Lisa's first term in office.

http://www.focusonvi...f-victoria-r14/

If the TC and other local media possessed the skills or courage, they could have been offering coverage like this throughout the past four years. Instead, we have mostly bumbling, fawning and worshipful coverage of a mayor who really deserves to have her actions challenged.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Cassidy like this

#1645 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

I think you're missing the point. The issue is not the fact that infrastructure projects frequently have flaws or that police chiefs do bad things or that statues present a whitewashed history.

The articles uncover times when our leadership makes those things worse by errors in judgement.

I think that he knows exactly what the point is. There is a personal relationship with Ms. Helps (ie podcast) that is perhaps clouding the vision!

The article spells out the same pattern in each example. Lisa out and out lied to the public in order to cover the tracks of people that she wanted to keep in power. In order to protect Elsner she lied about the investigation. In order to protect Huggett and the engineers she lied about the bridge flaws. 

You can argue that the article could have been condensed down to "Lisa lies and can't be trusted". Since Lisa and City Hall try to discredit everything Ross prints, it is in his interest to be as exhaustive and comprehensive as possible. 

• Love the rock, pennymurphy2000, Cassidy and 1 other like this

#1646 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

^Yes, but the article is honestly way too long. Only those that are already against helps are going to read the whole thing.

It is long, but if you didn't read right to the end and below, you would have missed Stephen Andrew's comments.

#1647 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

Would someone with a tattoo on their arm stating they don’t lie, lie?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1648 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:46 PM

Today, the Helps Campaign is announcing the creation of at least 300 new affordable childcare spaces in neighbourhoods across Victoria. Working with non-profit childcare providers, School District 61, and Island Health, a funding application has been submitted to the Province to fund the creation of new childcare spaces in Victoria starting in 2019. - https://lisahelpsvic...ng-to-victoria/

So they've been created, or have they been applied for?

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1649 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

If the Province is supplying the funding then aren't they the ones actually making the spaces happen?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1650 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:02 PM

Maybe in 2019 and subject to Provincial Funding so no.

Back on March 9, 2017 there was another maybe announcement about funding for commuter rail.

IMG_6030.JPG

• Mike K., Nparker, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#1651 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

That is my question as well. From what I can tell, she is claiming in the headline that the spaces have been created yet the article reads that they have just applied for funding with a new program.

#1652 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

My mistake the childcare spaces has reappeared...maybe my pc didnt refresh it for some reason

Edited by rjag, 01 October 2018 - 09:12 PM.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1653 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:08 AM

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps says a report by B.C.’s police complaint commissioner questioning her handling of misconduct allegations against a former Victoria police chief “feels like character assassination.”

“At this point, I’m considering what my options are going forward,” Helps said Monday. “I’m going to have someone look at the report carefully and see if it’s defamatory. It feels defamatory.”

https://www.timescol...says-1.23448989

#1654 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:16 AM

But also, from September 26 2018: "Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps ‘100 per cent agrees’ with OPCC’s findings on ex-police chief investigation"

https://www.peninsul...-investigation/

#1655 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps says a report by B.C.’s police complaint commissioner questioning her handling of misconduct allegations against a former Victoria police chief “feels like character assassination.”

“At this point, I’m considering what my options are going forward,” Helps said Monday. “I’m going to have someone look at the report carefully and see if it’s defamatory. It feels defamatory.”

https://www.timescol...says-1.23448989

So she is not sophisticated enough to understand the legal requirements of an internal investigation, but all of a sudden is an expert on the legal definition of defamation?!

#1656 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:04 AM

Helps could read Mr. Lowe's biography.

https://opcc.bc.ca/a...ners-biography/

He may be somewhat familiar with the legal system.

• rjag, Matt R. and rmpeers like this

#1657 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:12 AM

But also, from September 26 2018: "Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps ‘100 per cent agrees’ with OPCC’s findings on ex-police chief investigation"

https://www.peninsul...-investigation/

It seems clear from the context of the quote she was referring only to the recommendation that mayors no longer have the discipline authority, that it should go to retired judges.

I would be disappointed to learn that a defamation suit would put this scandal behind a curtain for another two years. There needs to be full accountability.

• Bingo and Kungsberg like this

#1658 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

It seems clear from the context of the quote she was referring only to the recommendation that mayors no longer have the discipline authority, that it should go to retired judges.

I would be disappointed to learn that a defamation suit would put this scandal behind a curtain for another two years. There needs to be full accountability.

If she wants to clear the air then a public enquiry would do that without the expense and secrecy of a lawsuit. 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#1659 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

Or character revealing....

• spanky123, pennymurphy2000 and Victoria Watcher like this

#1660 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

The qualification for defamation is that the accusation/public report is untrue, correct? It isn't defamation if it's true!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users