Photo

Dean Fortin | Victoria | Mayor (incumbent)

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Mayor of the City of Victoria Dean Fortin is seeking his third (and potentially last) re-election.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Well, on CFAX today he refused to commit to running.  He said he'll announce his intentions in the next few days, or next few weeks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Wouldn't you know by now if you were going to run or not? 

Hmmm.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Say what? What about his dinner in support of his campaign, wasn't that essentially an early campaign thing?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

You mean I may be able to cast a vote for mayor in November after all?

• John M. likes this

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Weird. In 2008 he launched his campaign with a public appearance at the Pride Parade handing out buttons with a team of volunteers. I believe it was July. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

LISTEN HERE  >  >   https://soundcloud.c...september-2-4pm

Starts at 05:40

Strange, maybe he wants to make the announcement somewhere else.  Or maybe he wants more airtime as "mayor" and not as candidate, so he does not have to share equal billing/airime with Helps.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

I think he's scared of Helps. If Helps and him are the only major candidates, come campaign time some on the centre and centre-right (which are a lot more numerous then some would believe) could recognize that Helps has at least a shred more fiscal responsibility then Fortin, and they might back her instead

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

No doubt much of the business community has backed Fortin as there were no credible alternatives to support, so might as well go with the one who's got the experience.

But we're kidding ourselves if he's not running. He has already stated on several occasions, or at least used wording, that suggests 2014-2018 will be his last term.

Know it all.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:25 AM

Dean Fortin has entered the mayor's race.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

Dean Fortin has entered the mayor's race.

Now that he knows Helps' chance has been severely limited by Ida Chong, he can feel comfortable throwing his hat into the ring.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yeah you know that is peculiar timing to announce. It seems as though he waited until Chong made her announcement to officially announce. Could just be a coincidence but it may also be a form of overshadowing Chong's announcement by being the last to enter.

Fortin has this dialed in. There's no way Chong, the clown, or Helps can unseat him now.

Know it all.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

...There's no way Chong, the clown, or Helps can unseat him now.

I can't help but chuckle at the above sentence. Does it name 3 people running for mayor or is "clown" a descriptor of the first candidate?  :thumbsup:

• John M. likes this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

It's hard not to chuckle at any mention of our mayoral candidates, as a whole, this time around. The clown is making this a spectacular spectacle :)
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#15 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Looked like a kickoff campaign meeting last night on Yates/Waddington Alley corner.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

Fortin will take this. Chong may usurp some of the Chinese vote and will come in fourth, Helps will come second, and the mystery contender who will be announced soon will come in third (it's a bit late in the game to make a big impression -- same mistake Brown made in the last election).

Lisa Helps advertising should be plastered all over the city by this point. She needs to get her name and photos out immediately but I'm not seeing it. Heck, I don't even know where her campaign office is (coming to think of it I should look it up) but everyone within a few days will know where Fortin's is.

Know it all.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

Fortin will take this. Chong may usurp some of the Chinese vote and will come in fourth, Helps will come second, and the mystery contender who will be announced soon will come in third (it's a bit late in the game to make a big impression -- same mistake Brown made in the last election).

Lisa Helps advertising should be plastered all over the city by this point. She needs to get her name and photos out immediately but I'm not seeing it. Heck, I don't even know where her campaign office is (coming to think of it I should look it up) but everyone within a few days will know where Fortin's is.

Helps' office is up on Fort, 900 or 1000 block.   I don't see any advertising anywhere.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

See, and you're one of those guys who knows but you can't place it. A campaign office needs to be across from a major landmark and not across from ...that jewelry place, or is it that coffee shop? I dunno.

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Oh, Ida Chong has paid for sponsored search on Google.  I saw that advertising.

#20 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

I think Helps' office is where that futon store used to be on the corner of Quadra and Fort.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users