• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

http://www.cfax1070....ation-vote-with

New political association vows to hold amalgamation vote with or without municipal concurrence

A new political organization is proposing to run a pro amalgamation candidate in each Greater Victoria civic  election this fall.

The campaign theme goes like this:  if you want amalgamation, "vote for me"...if you don't, then "don't vote for me"....

Now, I think the plan is to run just one candidate in each municipality.  The spokesperson on CFAX today says that in municipalities that put the question on the ballot this fall, they will not run a candidate.  Ha ha, that's some kind of pressure.  But I can't see that changing the mind of many, ie. Saanich candidates will just attack the "one-issue" candidate, maybe even easier than they can attack a simple referendum question.

I can see it now:  Frank Leonard - "I think Saanich voters are smarter than that, they are not going to waste their vote on one council candidate that admits he or she brings absolutely nothing to the table - no skills, no backgroud on the real issues, no experience, no anything really - except their position on amalgamation.  How does that serve Saanich citizens?".

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

Interesting approach. I do question the name Pro Amalgamation Party Association. PAP or PAPA is not the best acronym. I certainly look forward to the best puns and jokes the internet has to offer on that one.

That being said, having served on the board of Amalgamation Yes, I am intrigued to see another group coming at it from a different angle. I believe a citizen's referendum is the best option but due to the reluctance of a lot of selfish municipal politicians who'd rather ensure their jobs (76 Council Seats in the CRD) continue to exist, the referendum won't be on the ballots in many of our 13 municipalities. The PAPA (seriously, change the acronym) seems aware of this and are at least getting the word "Amalgamation" on every ballot next to a candidate's name.

In the meantime we should continue to put pressure on our respective councillors and council candidates to think more regionally and get out of this "13 Little Kingdoms" mindset of only looking inwards. It's rather ridiculous that in the 21st century we continue to draw hard borders in such a small region. Amalgamation is a process that will take time, but that's no reason we shouldn't continue to focus on cooperation towards more efficient service delivery in the meantime. 

Remember, we're all in this together.

Edited by AndrewReeve, 27 August 2014 - 04:19 PM.

• Nparker, jonny, John M. and 1 other like this

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

I think its fair to say that the sewage issue has proven we are a completely dysfunctional, egoistic and money wasting bunch. And our politicians are doing their best to keep it that way.
  • Nparker, jonny and John M. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Web site: www.proamalgamation.ca

HOW THE PEOPLE CAN HOLD A REFERENDUM

The Provincial Government has said they will pursue a study on Amalgamation if it is clear that the Capital Region Citizens want to do so. We can make it clear to the Provincial Government through a referendum and the election of Pro-Amalgamation Party members.

The Citizens of the Capital Region will seek a referendum by:

1. The Pro-Amalgamation party supporting and marketing one (1) candidate in any municipality, which does not hold its own referendum in the 2014 municipal election.
2. Pro-Amalgamation candidates will have the common, single-issue platform, to pursue a regional public study of amalgamation.
3. Each candidate will have the party name, Pro-Amalgamation listed on the ballot and there will be the only one on each ballot.
4. Voters who support the issue can then give one of their multiple votes to the Pro-Amalgamation candidate in their area. 
5. The total votes will reflect the referendum. 
6. The results will be taken to the Province of British Columbia as a clear mandate to order an in depth study into municipal amalgamation.

Let us be clear, every vote for Pro-Amalgamation candidates will be considered a YES to the following question:
Are you in favour of reducing the number of municipalities in the Capital Regional District through amalgamation?

Voters are asked NOT to vote for Pro-Amalgamation candidates if they do not support a study into amalgamation, even if they would otherwise like to see the candidate in office. This is important, as we are seeking to have the Province act on the vote and recognise that the citizens of the Capital Region want to have this issue seriously considered.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

The interesting thing here is...

3. Each candidate will have the party name, Pro-Amalgamation listed on the ballot and there will be the only one on each ballot.

... that makes it pretty clear.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Do you think some people who would otherwise support the vote would not support the candidate? I mean will there be concerns that a by-election will result soon after the election, or what's the plan here for the duration of the four year term?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Do you think some people who would otherwise support the vote would not support the candidate? I mean will there be concerns that a by-election will result soon after the election, or what's the plan here for the duration of the four year term?

They will have to think very carefully how they are going to present these candidates.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

They're absolute best strategy would be to convince incumbents to join the "party." If there is even a hint of appetite for amalgamation in their municipality aligning with them could equate to a surefire win.

Know it all.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

They're absolute best strategy would be to convince incumbents to join the "party." If there is even a hint of appetite for amalgamation in their municipality aligning with them could equate to a surefire win.

Hmmmmmm.....

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

Except that they are asking people not to vote for the candidate unless they support the question. An incumbent would confuse the message and the voter.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

Except that they are asking people not to vote for the candidate unless they support the question. An incumbent would confuse the message and the voter.

Not if they have been a vocal proponent all along.  But I'm not sure if outside of Victoria any have.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

It would be funny if one of them accidentally got elected. It reminds me of when the Bloc Quebecois once found themselves as Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. They'd have to do some quick cramming on all subjects in order to be something other than a one-note-trumpet at the council table: 

Council, our next applicant is requesting a height variance on this renovation.

Ralph: "In an amalgamated metro area there would be more community input..."

OK, Ralph, we get it--moving on...

• AndrewReeve and John M. like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

I can see them getting elected in Saanich, maybe Esquimalt, maybe View Royal, Colwood.  Also depends on vacancies.

I can't see it happening in OB, Langford, NS, Sidney, Metchosin, Highlands, Central Saanich, Sooke.

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Personal opinion, I don't see Saanich electing a candidate that supports amalgamation.

#15 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

I support amalgamation but this is a bad idea on the same level as the "Open Victoria" party in the last election. It is one thing to lobby as a special interest group but to run single-issue candidates seems foolish and counterproductive to me. They will n ot get to debate or promote amalgamation these candidates will be ridiculed and dismissed as sock puppets.

• wetcoastace likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

Personal opinion, I don't see Saanich electing a candidate that supports amalgamation.

But how many votes do you need to get on council in Saanich?  10,000?  EDIT, ya that's about it:  http://www.saanich.c...ary Results.pdf

... and they had 21k voters last time.  They just need half the voters to vote for this one guy/gal.  They are also going to vote the other 8 positions.  I don't know, it's not like they need 50%+ to vote YES or NO.

Surely at least 1/3 of Saanich voters like the idea of amalgamation, so that's 7,000 votes right there for this candidate.  But I predict almost every candidate in every municipality will use the word "gimmick" or something, so that might be the media image, and nobody wants to vote for a gimmick.  I guess we'll see the quality of candidates.  I bet if David Cubberly (left) or Ida Chong (right) was the Saanich amalgamation candidate, they'd win.  Saanich only had 12 candidates last election.

#17 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

Personally I think this is a pretty good idea. Doomed to failure (or at least doomed to achieve very meaningless "success"), yes, but still a good idea. The current municipalities are incredibly entrenched power structures and will take creative thinking to push towards change. This is a great way of subverting the fact that some municipalities won't even put an amalgamation question on the ballot and it will raise the status of amalgamation in the public consciousness. The fact is that many people in power are doing their best to dismiss the amalgamation issue out of their own self interest and pro-amalgamation groups will have to resort to things like this to subvert that power and influence.

I haven't been in Victoria very long (this will only be my second municipal election since moving here), but there seems to be a heck of a lot more momentum behind amalgamation now there was last election, although I could be wrong. Nothing concrete will be done about amalgamation in this election cycle, but if the ProAm candidate gets remotely respectable numbers it will just be more ammunition to use for the next.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#18 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

The very threat of Pro-Amalgamation made a number of councils change their mind and hold a vote, I have a number of councilors tell me this in private.

At this point there will be Pro-Amalgamation candidate in View Royal, Colwood and Sooke.   Pro-Amalgamation will generally be campaigning for a Yes vote to all the various referenda questions

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

The very threat of Pro-Amalgamation made a number of councils change their mind and hold a vote, I have a number of councilors tell me this in private.

Yes, I don't doubt this.  Seems it was very effective, maybe more so than the other pro-am group.  Although the latter did lots of groundwork.

#20 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

I'm quite happy with Kevin Murdoch for leading the push for a referendum here in Oak Bay. Like he said, its not necessarily about immediately amalgamating Oak Bay, it's about giving everybody a voice on the subject and the collective right to choose which way they want our District to go. That being said, I already know its going to be flat-out rejected. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users