Drones in the city

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

The guy driving it is licensed by NavCan and had the approvals in place.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

Has everyone forgotten about those airplanes that used to fly around pulling banners?

I've had both the NDP and Green Party stand outside my place with signs and banners, distracting drivers and causing a nuisance with all the horn honking.  If we're going to allow that.... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#123 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

Has everyone forgotten about those airplanes that used to fly around pulling banners?

I've had both the NDP and Green Party stand outside my place with signs and banners, distracting drivers and causing a nuisance with all the horn honking.  If we're going to allow that.... 

Drove past the Green Party not that they are pro or anti Deer, but yelled as I drove by "CULL THE DEER" they seemed incredibly supportive as they all cheered loudly for me.

Edited by todd, 24 September 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#124 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

I'll believe her (the candidate) when I see the proof.  I'm not taking the word of a Conservative candidate.

Not that it would change my vote.

Edited by nagel, 24 September 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

I'll believe her (the candidate) when I see the proof.  I'm not taking the word of a Conservative candidate.

Not that it would change my vote.

The pilot is David Carlos of VAPS, he'll be on CFAX at 9am tomorrow explaining.

12039191_419743668218422_341406004946877

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#126 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

VicHockeyFan, on 24 Sept 2015 - 6:17 PM, said:

Maybe Transport Canada.....

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#127 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

Well, whatever it is. He's a pilot himself. He files a flight plan for each drove flight with some authority.

#128 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

Drone Nearly Takes Out Olympic Medalist Slalom Skier ...

Slalom skier Marcel Hirscher was nearly killed on live TV.  Looks like they need to make the area OVER a ski run a no-fly zone, even for camera drones.

http://youtu.be/xeviAWB0i4Y

Edited by Gary H, 22 December 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#129 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

wow close call...recently I had a telephone discussion with a seller/owner that wanted me to do a drone video (if I got the listing) of their home on a very busy portion of McKenzie Ave.  My reply was, "I don't think so."  

As of late I prefer to try and exercise reasonable judgement when flying my drone.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63XpRZKKalI

• lanforod likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#130 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

Thank-you VHF for posting the link to your friends drone photography business.

This is an excellent example of how the right person on the controls can show us what is a drone is capable of.

I expect that this form of photography will soon render most of the still image photo journalists redundant.

http://victoriaairphotos.com/

#131 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

Meanwhile the Dutch police are training eagles to take them out

http://www.bbc.com/n...europe-35750816

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

Flirtey makes first urban drone delivery in FAA test, beating Amazon to the punch

http://www.geekwire....n-to-the-punch/

A startup named Flirtey says it’s executed the first FAA-approved urban drone delivery in the United States, in a test that could blaze a trail for Amazon and other companies that want to do the same thing.

The GPS-guided drop-off to an unoccupied house took place on March 10 in Hawthorne, Nev. The package of supplies, including bottled water, emergency food supply and a first-aid kit, was lowered by a rope to the house’s front porch from a hovering hexacopter. A drone pilot and several visual observers were on standby in case something went wrong, but they weren’t needed, the company said.

#133 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

The military use of drones is at the centre of the plot in the movie EYE in the SKY.

An excellent  thriller starring Helen Mirran and the late Alan Rickman shows the capabilities of all sizes of drones, and the political consequences of using them.

Heaven help us if our enemies ever deploy them on our home soil.

#134 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

They already have....... the USA has drones that fly over the border and they are in Canadian airspace all the time but they are not enemies so things are OK for the time being.

Edited by HB, 27 March 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

Drone on drone warfare sounds fine to me.

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

What do you think the legalities are of flying a drone across the international border (US/Canada)?

A guy controls it from this side, hands off control to someone on the other side to land it.

Maybe someone has already studied this with homing pigeons.

#137 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

^Depends what the cargo is ;)   Can't see 'the authorities' being too pleased, though!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

^Depends what the cargo is ;)   Can't see 'the authorities' being too pleased, though!

Well, I guess it would be drugs, or other materials that have a high duty I guess.  Stuff you would not want to cross the border with on your person.

A drone can fly awful low, and perhaps evade detection at the more rural parts of our border. 

#139 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Dunno whether drones are able to carry enough cargo to make the risk of going to prison worthwhile? Do criminals even do cost/benefit analyses of their crimes?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#140 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

If this article is correct Drones are illegal in basically all of Greater Victoria?

'No Drone Zone' signs posted in Victoria's Inner Harbour
No close calls so far, but pilots have spotted drones in the area

By Megan Thomas, CBC News Posted: Aug 29, 2016 9:23 AM PT Last Updated: Aug 29, 2016 9:23 AM PT

Transport Canada says all aerodromes — which include airports, helipads and seaplane bases — are "no drone zones" — whether or not signs are posted.

Drone operators must stay at least nine kilometres away.

Full Article >>

Edited by tedward, 29 August 2016 - 10:18 AM.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users