• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

^ Thanks David. Can you post a synopsis here later for us non tweet savvy folks?

I think I speak for more than a few when I say I am curious about the Mayoralty Race. 

If you go here: https://twitter.com/@davidbratzer  his tweets will show up there :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

^ Thanks for that link Seb, that wasn't so hard was it? Thanks to you too David, I was at a function tonight, but I was able to read your blow by blow report and view your pics quite easily.

#43 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

This is my first time voting in Saanich. I've lived here now for over 2 years, but I don't know much about Leonard.

It appears there are some issues with Leonard's track record, two highlights from what I can tell being the CRD sewage conflict of interest and the lack and even regression of open government and public consultation. Attwell has committed to working on both of those.

However, there is a lot more involved in running a city than sewage and open government. For those who know Leonard's track record better, why should or shouldn't I vote for him? In particular, I want to know how he did with fiscal prudence (my gut tells me it was average, not great, not bad).

And no, Shebib is not an option.

#44 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

This is my first time voting in Saanich. I've lived here now for over 2 years, but I don't know much about Leonard.

It appears there are some issues with Leonard's track record, two highlights from what I can tell being the CRD sewage conflict of interest and the lack and even regression of open government and public consultation. Attwell has committed to working on both of those.

However, there is a lot more involved in running a city than sewage and open government. For those who know Leonard's track record better, why should or shouldn't I vote for him? In particular, I want to know how he did with fiscal prudence (my gut tells me it was average, not great, not bad).

And no, Shebib is not an option.

Here is my two cents. The CRD spent $47 million on a sewage plan that has now failed, $16 million of which came from Saanich taxpayers. Yet the challenger in this election has a better attendance record than the incumbent at the CRD.

I am supporting Atwell. Here is a link to his bio - he has an interesting background, worked at Apple and Motorola, with several patents to his name. Yes, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of the sewage file, but he has been active in other areas of the community as well.

• Mr Cook Street and lanforod like this

#45 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

Took the bus this morning through Cadboro Bay area. Actually saw a decent number of Richard Atwell signs. 

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

Took the bus this morning through Cadboro Bay area. Actually saw a decent number of Richard Atwell signs. 

2011:

1. Frank Leonard   11,151 (-821)
  2. David Cubberley  9,526

Now, Cubberley is an NDPer, but you could say that the sewage mess was nor nearly what it is today.  And Leonard is taking heat for it, for sure.  This one might be close.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

I don't like voting against someone, I want to vote FOR someone.

Saanich seems to be in pretty good shape right now, barring some issues that are being worked on.

I'm not yet convinced the devil we have isn't better than the devil we don't know.

Sure, perhaps Leonard could have stepped out more. I don't think his explanation is that far fetched. He said he consulted with his council members who were at the sewage committee meetings before any votes, and that directly related purchasing votes that involved his son's firm he did not vote in. He certainly wasn't the only CRD member to vote on issues that they didn't attend the committee meetings for, yet he has a pretty good reason for not attending those committee meetings. I do agree he should have just stepped down from the committee completely - that still wouldn't have affected his votes in the CRD as he consulted with his council members first. What it boils down to is this: does Leonard act in the best interests of the city of Saanich?

Regarding Attwell - I like his CV, sure. Impressive. I'm not sure it translate to ability to run a large city, particularly without any council experience.

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

It appears there are some issues with Leonard's track record, two highlights from what I can tell being the CRD sewage conflict of interest and the lack and even regression of open government and public consultation.

Attwell has committed to working on both of those.

However, there is a lot more involved in running a city than sewage and open government.

For those who know Leonard's track record better, why should or shouldn't I vote for him? In particular, I want to know how he did with fiscal prudence (my gut tells me it was average, not great, not bad).

Last year there was a controversial plan to build clay tennis courts at the Cedar Hill Golf Course near the community center.

Hundreds of people wanted to voice their opinion on the issue, so the mayor and council held additional public hearings until the issue was resolved.

That is what your current mayor and council did, and this is one reason why I will vote for Frank Leonard.

• lanforod and Mixed365 like this

#49 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

This was the mayoral debate at the University of Victoria on Thursday.  Left to Right:

Jackie Ngai, wife of Frank Leonard
Richard Atwell, Candidate for Mayor of Saanich
Cairine Green, Candidate for Mayor or Oak Bay
Nils Jensen, Mayor of Oak Bay

Attached Images

• uvic_mayoral_debate.jpg

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

Was there much of a crowd?  Applause on radio seemed light.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

Was there much of a crowd?  Applause on radio seemed light.

Colin Plant (candidate for Saanich Council) told me there was about 100 people there. But I can't confirm as I wasn't there. Regardless, I can't imagine Dean Fortin, John Tory, Barb Desjardins, Naheed Nenshi etc. sending their spouse to stand in for them at a mayoral debate.

• Nparker and NotHudsonMack like this

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

^ It sure seems odd.  Rahim Jaffer might send a sub though.

• David Bratzer likes this

#53 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

Not sure why Leonard would snub the UVSS. He doesn't seem to have the passion this election. 

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

This was the mayoral debate at the University of Victoria on Thursday...Jackie Ngai, wife of Frank Leonard...

So now the spouse of a candidate is a legitimate substitute at a public forum? Does Mr. Leonard have complete contempt for the electorate of his district?

• LocalMom likes this

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

Maybe his son's company was bidding on work in the SUB ;)

Jackie is not the mother of Leonard's children, BTW.
  • Nparker and David Bratzer like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

...Jackie is not the mother of Leonard's children, BTW.

So does that void any conflict of interest?

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

Well, I'm just kidding about the coi in the SUB ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

So my possibly naive reading of this suggests that Richard Atwell is pushing a 'I will bring change and shake things up' platform. This could be read as being pro-development, pro-business, big changes coming, etc. I don't necessarily have a problem with this (at least at the municipal level), but is this likely to alienate the all-important 'we like things the way they are' crowd?

#59 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

Just saw a Richard Atwell video on CHEK News.

The video contains some sort of comparison to the Nazi party.

I can't find it online. Did anyone else see it.?

#60 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

Just saw a Richard Atwell video on CHEK News.

The video contains some sort of comparison to the Nazi party.

I can't find it online. Did anyone else see it.?

I saw it when it first came out, but cant seem to find it anymore. Perhaps it was deleted. There is a little clip in the CHEK news footage, but that is all I could find. 

IMO Ive always found that these satirical videos, which are funny, should be made by the public, it is really distasteful when it is by the candidate themselves. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users