BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#101 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Ha, great video, especially when the girl at the end just hangs out and listens.  Unless she is a friend of Mr. Holl...

That's a nasty development though, not sure if I'm a big fan of monolithic developments by the same developer in order to achieve supposed linkages/synergies between them.  They look like new age commie blocks; that being said, Victoria does have a long way to go regarding improved planning for building/land use integration.

#102 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

^Yeah it seems all those buildings integrate well with one another and I doubt the development as a whole integrates well with the rest of the hood.

#103 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

I think it's still an interesting approach, thinking of the public spaces first & how they can be integrated into the existing fabric & then fitting the building around them. it kind of makes sense in a way because there are always going to be more people around to use the public spaces than whatever is in those towers. & also thinking of the development as a whole, rather than as one isolated stand-out-ish tower.

here's another one he did with the same idea:
https://vimeo.com/60035867

Edited by amor de cosmos, 30 August 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#104 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Madoff said she hopes it won’t get to the point where she’ll have to stop supporting higher densities along Blanshard, Johnson and Yates because guidelines are not being followed elsewhere. 

Is this a joke? She didn't like the Falls, she didn't like Astoria/Belvedere, I seem to recall she didn't even like the Juliet. She didn't like the Sovereign. When has she ever supported Victoria-style densities, let alone higher ones?

• Nparker likes this

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

She has gotten by on the notoriously short (and malleable) memories of much of the electorate.

#106 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Madoff said she hopes it won’t get to the point where she’ll have to stop supporting higher densities along Blanshard, Johnson and Yates...

Seriously, what's the implication here? That developers and citizens alike have been counting on her steady support up until now? It's silly.

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

What's so often missing from Councillor Madoff's perspective on issues is ...perspective.

When you put her statements in perspective there is no controversy. Take them at face value and suddenly the media has a story and the councillor gets a lot of free exposure.

Remember her CFAX interview regarding Northern Junk? She praised the Belmont Building as a perfect example of density in a short building. A short building next to View Towers, perhaps, but nearly identical in height to a 12-storey residential building that happened to have been the focus of the CFAX story.

Councillor Madoff knows what she's doing. The post after post discussing her assessment of this project is evidence of that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

“But I am now seeing applications coming in those more protected areas asking for significant height variances, and they are being considered by council and usually being approved.” Madoff said she hopes it won’t get to the point where she’ll have to stop supporting higher densities along Blanshard, Johnson and Yates because guidelines are not being followed elsewhere.
- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.FKKFYGf6.dpuf

A proposal in the old town is too tall for my liking so I'm not going to support it, and because the proposal in the old town is too tall for my liking I'm also not going to support a completely different proposal in Harris Green that is also too tall for my liking.

In other words, I'm not going to support proposals that are too tall for my liking. Didn't we already know this? I guess she feels it was a magnanimous gesture when she (presumably) supported the taller buildings behind the Hudson? Is that it?

• Fernwoodian likes this

#109 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Blanshard would = the Hudson, right? She supported the towers?

Yates would = ???? The new tower across from London Drugs? Did she support that? What about Era?

What's the Johnson project? I remember she was critical of the Juliet. Maybe she wasn't so offended by 834?

In any case, you'd hardly have to be generous to support any/all of these. Especially the Hudson.

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

...Councillor Madoff knows what she's doing. The post after post discussing her assessment of this project is evidence of that.

Be that as it may, I still say this one person has had FAR TOO MUCH influence on the built form of the city for far too long.

#111 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

Be that as it may, I still say this one person has had FAR TOO MUCH influence on the built form of the city for far too long.

And not enough to say about heritage.

#112 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

“I think the thing that’s disturbing me is the lack of variety that we’re seeing in terms of the applications that are coming in,” Madoff said, adding: “I think any really interesting city has a modulation in their buildings.”
- See more at: http://www.timescolo...6.hwbLMoSD.dpuf

A disturbing lack of variety, for sure. Same size, same height, same look, same everything. I'm starting to suspect these developers are just using the same plans over and over.

esr-building-exterior.jpg?itok=Hl6zWGei&

327.jpg

post-2217-0-49515300-1439269991.jpg

birds-eye-looking-east.jpg

340.jpg

post-3-0-33768500-1415397713.gif

Edited by aastra, 30 August 2015 - 05:59 PM.

• 2F2R likes this

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

Would you please stop reposting the same image over and over, aastra? 

God.

• aastra, Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#114 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

I think Aastra was just trying to show the different sides of the building, Gawd, give the man a break!

• aastra likes this

#115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

#WasteOfBandwidth

Know it all.

#116 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

By the way, has Madoff had anything to say about the Mason/Pandora project? She should like it, right? Lowrise (that perfect height of six stories, don't you know), brick cladding, long and low rather than tall and slim...

#117 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

See the thread. She said pandora and Vancouver was an example of poor urban planning.

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

It would be really helpful if she could identify maybe 10 or 20 buildings from around the world that she would like to see in Victoria. Buildings that could actually be built under Victoria's market conditions, I mean.

It would also be good if she could identify and rank the best 10 or 20 buildings built in Victoria in the last 15 years.

Edited by aastra, 30 August 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

February public hearing planned for 205 unit Johnson Street condo development

http://victoria.citi...do-development/

A February public hearing is anticipated for a two-tower mixed-use condo and ground floor commercial development on a parking lot formerly owned by McCall Bros. Funeral Home in the 900-block of Johnson Street, according to project proponent Cox Developments.

The firm plans to build 205 condos throughout a complex rising to 17-storeys above the southwest corner of the intersection of Johnson and Vancouver streets with a six-storey podium connecting to a 15-storey tower situated to the west along Johnson Street. [Full article]

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.

#120 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

Is all of downtown changing from a wall of 4 to 5 storey to a wall of 12 to 18 storey?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users