BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#141 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

So much better than parking lots. Hopefully the car dealerships will move soon.
  • Nparker likes this

#142 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

I love it ... hope they start digging the hole soon.

#143 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

So Paris?

The irony here of course is that cities like Paris and London have lots of high rise/tall buildings they merely restrict them to certain areas (Paris particularly).

One reason I always got a kick out of the "we're a bit of Olde Englande" nonsense was that clearly those who promoted that ideal haven't been to Merry Olde Englande since about 1950: go to virtually city of note in England - London, Birmingham, Manchester - and there are plenty of new and modern and high buildings and often sited near or adjacent to "heritage" structures -> which, BTW, works just fine in spite of what the local gloom and doom naysayers in Victoria would have you believe.

Oddly enough on this continent one city that has done a fantastic job of restoring and retaining block after block after block of "heritage" while mixing it up with very contemporary building designs is Omaha, Nebraska. Omaha has an utterly sick stock of beautifully restored "old American West" SF houses from the 1870-80's period - frankly older structures and better than just about anything you'll see here - yet the inner city core and downtown has plenty of strikingly modern construction which - again - complements the older heritage designs. Of course here in Dysfunction by the Sea the NIMBY's refuse to believe such things are even vaguely possible and prefer as a consequence to shut their eyes, jump up and down stamping their feet and crying wolf....

• Nparker and nagel like this

#144 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

I think it looks great, borderline fantastic. Exciting times for downtown, that's for sure.

The only oddity will be how close it is to legato, which is probably going to be the exact same height.

ASE, the nimbys are losing the battle, slowly but surely. I'm sure they exist in Omaha, as well.
  • aastra and AllseeingEye like this

#145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

Every time we get one of these, after all the worry, at the end nobody complains.  I mean, who objects to Juliet, or Era, or 834, or Corazon?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#146 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

I am 100% in support of this project, I only wish I could see a rendering as 989 relates to Legato.

#147 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

I love the first 3-4 floors, but the rest is disappointing - looks like a design from the late 90's, or something they might build in Hamilton today. We're in Victoria for crying out loud, more glass, sleeker please - let's mix it up. 

#148 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

Will this be built in phases?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#149 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

I am 100% in support of this project, I only wish I could see a rendering as 989 relates to Legato.

Its basically 30' away.  

I know we want density, but Victoria is going to regret allowing building like this in the long run.  That whole half block should have been sold and developed as a whole - if the developer wanted to box their customers in, then thats their prerogative.  But for the city to allow developers to put little towers right next to each other is terrible planning.

#150 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

I am 110% in support of this project ... period.

• Nparker likes this

#151 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

I live in a 4 story apartment building and have the wall of a 4 story condo about 50' away and the wall of a house about 20' away.  Wouldn't make much difference if I was on the 5th floor or 20th floor really.  Why do buildings need more space between them if they're taller

• 2F2R and sdwright.vic like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#152 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

I live in a 4 story apartment building and have the wall of a 4 story condo about 50' away and the wall of a house about 20' away.  Wouldn't make much difference if I was on the 5th floor or 20th floor really.  Why do buildings need more space between them if they're taller

Are you on the ground floor and does the condo 50' away completely take up all your windows?  Can you see the sky?  Are all your windows blocked, or just some of them? 

I'd consider a place where all I could see was another building 50' away from any of my windows pretty undesirable.  A couple windows, or blocking some of a window isn't a big deal.  

#153 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

50' is a fine distance, that can be a whole street in between buildings.

20', not so much. I'd hate to have my whole view outside a window be another building 20' away, unless I crane my neck sideways.

#154 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

I'm on the top floor and can see some sky if I angle my self right, but anyone lower is just seeing the face of another building.  This is a pretty normal view for a lot of people.  Heck when I lived in a house all the side windows just showed another house, no sky.

I think views are over-rated.  I mean they are nice, but no one's entitled to them.  It's a bit of a bummer when you have a nice view and years later something blocks it, but on newly built buildings no one can complain they don't know what they're buying into.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#155 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

i think this is 306 units/acre, or 757 units/hectare  :banana: 

At Thursday’s city council meeting, Cox won support for an increase in the allowable height to 50 metres from 30 metres, and to 17 storeys from the allowable 10.

“The towers have been sculpted and angled to maximize views through the site and from within the suites,” he said in a letter to the city.

Council voted in favour of granting a development variance permit to allow the project in the Harris Green area to proceed.

Ground-floor commercial and 209 residential units, with underground parking, are planned for the 180,000 square-foot development. A gated courtyard with seating is included to foster a community feeling among residents. Elevators will open onto the courtyard.

http://www.timescolo...g-lot-1.2173312

Edited by amor de cosmos, 16 February 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#156 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

The term "twin towers" should not be thrown around lightly.

Also this idea is plain crazy:

Coun. Pamela Madoff encouraged Cox to preserve the funeral home building. 

That funeral home is a scar and needs to go.

Edited by nagel, 16 February 2016 - 09:55 AM.

• DavidSchell likes this

#157 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

That's one of the last untouched classic modernist DiCastri buildings. Another quirky, irreplaceable, one-of-a-kind building gone forever. You guys are killing me.

• Nparker likes this

#158 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

That's one of the last untouched classic modernist DiCastri buildings. Another quirky, irreplaceable, one-of-a-kind building gone forever. You guys are killing me.

My brother in law could have it razed in 90 minutes and I look forward to watching it.

#159 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

That funeral home is a scar and needs to go.

you only say that because madoff wants to save it

#160 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

you only say that because madoff wants to save it

She bothers me less than she bothers other people.  My main issue with her is it appears she loves to say no.

Conceptually I have an issue with "re-purposed funeral home".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users