BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#401 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Would it be in poor taste to visit the sales centre just to see the virtual reality display if I know I can't afford a unit?

#402 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

No way! Talk to the realtors, tell them what your goals are and learn a little bit about the development. The more you know the better! They'd love to see you there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#403 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

So a bird has told me the son of the developer has purchased the top floor of the shorter tower and someone associated to the project has purchased the top three of the taller. This was told by the developer to friends that bought into the place and were at the grand opening this last weekend.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

Well, they have been selling some by appt. for sure.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#405 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Would it be in poor taste to visit the sales centre just to see the virtual reality display if I know I can't afford a unit?

Not at all, warm bodies are always welcome. Makes the place look busy. Seriously though, the more you see the more you learn. Find out the features you like and at least as important, find out what you don't like. Go to open houses, too. Nothing like being in and feeling the space.
Good luck!
  • Nparker likes this

#406 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

So a bird has told me the son of the developer has purchased the top floor of the shorter tower and someone associated to the project has purchased the top three of the taller. This was told by the developer to friends that bought into the place and were at the grand opening this last weekend.

The developer doesn't have a son, and units remain for sale on the top floor of the shorter (west) tower.

The taller (east) tower has not yet been made available to early purchasers.

I think whatever info that was passed along to your contacts was in error or misconstrued in some way  :rtfm:

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#407 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

The developer doesn't have a son, and units remain for sale on the top floor of the shorter (west) tower.

The taller (east) tower has not yet been made available to early purchasers.

I think whatever info that was passed along to your contacts was in error or misconstrued in some way  :rtfm:

Technically, technically, the developer does have a son. Here's a riddle. What developer is both the father and the son?

• Jackerbie likes this

#408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

And the holy spirit?

Know it all.

#409 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

Here's a riddle. What developer is both the father and the son?

That's an old one. The surgeon is the son's mother.

#410 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

All of VV's riddle aficionados are absolutely cracking up right now, believe me.

• Rob Randall likes this

#411 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

Just got another email saying the grand opening on Saturday will feature refreshments from Grilled to the Mac :wub: . I will be there with "I can't afford this development but I love macaroni" bells on.

• Nparker likes this

#412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Pretty busy at the sales centre this morning. Wow.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#413 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Pretty busy at the sales centre this morning.

Must have been the mac & cheese. Canadians can't get enough.  ;)

#414 sweetrealtor

sweetrealtor
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

I went to the grand opening of 989 for an out of town buyer.  This buyer is trying to decide between the Wade or 989, looking for a 2 bed unit.  I prefer 989 but need a few more opinions here.  I've been through all the posts for the Wade and 989 on VV and it seems there is more support & excitement for 989 than the Wade.

My buyer's major hesitation is the one-level retail building, with Atlas home audio as tenant, and the potential for that to be replaced with a 4-6 floor building. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#415 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

...My buyer's major hesitation is the one-level retail building, with Atlas home audio as tenant, and the potential for that to be replaced with a 4-6 floor building. 

This is strictly my opinion but I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future. The Atlas property is quite small and I can't see any 4-6 floor development wanting to be sandwiched between Legato and 989.

#416 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

I went to the grand opening of 989 for an out of town buyer.  This buyer is trying to decide between the Wade or 989, looking for a 2 bed unit.  I prefer 989 but need a few more opinions here.  I've been through all the posts for the Wade and 989 on VV and it seems there is more support & excitement for 989 than the Wade.

My buyer's major hesitation is the one-level retail building, with Atlas home audio as tenant, and the potential for that to be replaced with a 4-6 floor building. 

Welcome to the forum!  Interesting.  The footprint at Atlas would not allow for much, but who knows.

• sweetrealtor likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#417 sweetrealtor

sweetrealtor
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Apart from the worry about the Atlas building, what are your thoughts about Wade vs 989? 

#418 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

The Wade is in a quieter area of Downtown, if that's important. But 989's slightly more central location puts you closer to the action. Are the per sq. ft. costs similar?

#419 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

989 will be much taller so it affords the opportunity for a much improved view.

#420 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

The Wade is in a quieter area of Downtown, if that's important. But 989's slightly more central location puts you closer to the action. Are the per sq. ft. costs similar?

They wouldn't give exact prices unless you were serious about buying a particular unit, but based on the ballpark figures they were willing to offer, my guess is between $600-1000/sq foot. I think there were a couple units for $350k, but most are now about $550k. If that's the price for a 2-bedroom, it's more like $600/sq foot. But if it's for one of the 1-bedrooms, it's dangerously close to $1000/sq foot.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users