BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#421 sweetrealtor

sweetrealtor
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

View isn't important to this client.  989 has no amenities, but that's not a drawback. 

Location?  Not sure if one beats the other but I'm not a huge fan of Pandora.

#422 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

The Wade spans the entire block of Cook between Pandora and Johnson.

#423 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

I'm surprised that 989 has no amenities given its size/scale.   Perhaps Cox is simply trying to keep strata fees down?

#424 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Does the client have pets?  I think I said before, Wade seems better suited for a quick run with the dog on Harris Green.  And it's a block further away from Our Place, in the "good" direction.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#425 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

989 has no amenities other than basic services for tenants. That's by design, however, as the amenities are available all around the immediate area. The Wade on the other hand has a rooftop common area and planters for residents to use like little garden plots.

The two projects, in terms of amenities, are definitely targeting different desires.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#426 sweetrealtor

sweetrealtor
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

Client has no pets.  Quiet is probably the foremost request, not something that really resonates with downtown. 

#427 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

While I would agree The Wade is a bit further away from the action (it's crazy the difference one block can make), it is bordered by three major streets (Pandora/Cook/Johnson), so location within the building will matter more, while 989 is only bordered by one (Johnson). That being said, the higher up you are at 989, the more noise you'll get from Yates and even Pandora. Remember that those are both emergency response routes, so you'll get the regular nightly sirens. You learn to live with it though, but in the summer when you have to keep your windows open because of those floor to ceiling 989 windows (aka a literal oven, especially if you face west and get the afternoon sun), it's a bit worse.

We looked at both developments and got the sense that The Wade was a bit more laid back, relaxed, eco-friendly (recycled glass concrete countertops were sweet) kind of atmosphere, while the 989 was more your typical urban high-rise condo.

Edited by shoeflack, 27 March 2017 - 01:16 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#428 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

...but in the summer when you have to keep your windows open because of those floor to ceiling 989 windows (aka a literal oven, especially if you face west and get the afternoon sun), it's a bit worse...

Will 989 not have A/C?

#429 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

Will 989 not have A/C?

My understanding was that units will have trickle vents, but no A/C. I could be wrong there though.

#430 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

My understanding was that units will have trickle vents, but no A/C...

Sounds a bit low-tech for a fairly high-end, concrete high rise.

#431 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

I thought it was pretty common for developers to skip on A/C in Victoria. It never gets too hot here.

Living at The 834 (no A/C) we faced west, so we had to live through the hot summer nights. That afternoon sun just cooks your unit if you face it and the heat just lingers all night. So my suggestion would definitely be to get a unit that gets the morning sun, so you're not sleeping in a bed of sweat without covers every night in the summer.

I will say though, the natural light and other pros of floor to ceiling windows far outweighed the heat they caused in summer.

#432 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

As someone with SW facing windows, I'd kill for A/C in my condo.

#433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

so you're not sleeping in a bed of sweat without covers every night in the summer.

Some guys like that.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#434 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Another thing your client may want to consider is future development. The property across Johnson from 989 will be redeveloping in the near future, I would expect a tower. Not sure if anything is in the works in the immediate vicinity of the Wade.

#435 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Building on Johnson across from the 989 is protected so I wouldn't expect a tower there. Maybe the garage portion the building to the West may come down...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#436 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

Portable AC units are a must in a high rise condo facing west or south. It makes life very comfortable in the dead of summer :)

I never understood the mindset that it never gets too hot in Victoria. How many people use AC in their cars in the summer? Virtually everyone who has it, and most do. Even at 20C a condo unit with lots of south and/or west exposure will fry.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#437 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

I've had two clients buy at 989 Johnson last year and one made an offer at the Wade but it never went firm.  A few little odds and ends in both developments.

For example, 989 Johnson has three visitor parking spots for 200+ units.  The ceilings are exposed concrete which you don't see too often for non-loft non-conversion of some sort.  No amenities whatsoever, not even a room to host strata meetings.  I suppose it makes things very simple in terms of upkeep and management.

The Wade is interesting in other respects.  For example, on P1 they've positioned the elevators so you have to walk back through the garage gate to them.  Then if you are in the old medical building you have to take two different elevators to get up to your unit.  The Wade on average has substantially taller ceilings.

I guess it comes down to do does one want a traditional style tower development or something a tad more funky with a bit more character (Wade has a cool rooftop, etc.).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 March 2017 - 07:14 AM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#438 sweetrealtor

sweetrealtor
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

Client decided on the Wade.  989 wasn't flexible with electric car chargers, my guy wanted to install one in his space.  Sign of the times for this request but there were no options offered, other than the communal charger - which isn't good enough as my client's car takes almost 4 hours to charge.  989 also wouldn't allow a closet to be repositioned in the den, important for my client's home office set up.  Finally, they were not able to give us accurate floorplans, so it made it even harder to commit.

Wade was willing to work with my client with his electric car needs and more.   Slightly cheaper and has amenities, why not?

#439 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

Client decided on the Wade.  989 wasn't flexible with electric car chargers, my guy wanted to install one in his space.  Sign of the times for this request but there were no options offered, other than the communal charger - which isn't good enough as my client's car takes almost 4 hours to charge.  989 also wouldn't allow a closet to be repositioned in the den, important for my client's home office set up.  Finally, they were not able to give us accurate floorplans, so it made it even harder to commit.

Wade was willing to work with my client with his electric car needs and more.   Slightly cheaper and has amenities, why not?

Interesting news, sweet.  Especially on the charger.

^^ wrt parking I think for either place, evening and weekend parking on the street is not bad.  Yes, you might have to plug a meter on weekends, but generally Pandora and Johnson have street parking.  Pandora has that strip of angle parking that's never full on the hill to the top of the green on the parallel access road.

#440 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

Not totally well versed on both projects, but all things being equal, I think I would pick the Wade over 989. Better location, probably a bit quieter, and less chance of major construction nearby.

The A/C conundrum is an interesting one in that I think more buildings in SW BC probably should have A/C. The summer heat issue is one of the reasons we are quite happy to be moving into a W/NW facing condo next month.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users