BUILT
989 Johnson
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 989 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
989 Johnson is a 206-unit, two-tower 15- and 17-storey condominium complex with a six-storey podium. Ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about 989 Johnson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 989 Johnson | Condos; commercial | 17 & 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
983 replies to this topic

#161 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

I'm on the top floor and can see some sky if I angle my self right, but anyone lower is just seeing the face of another building.  This is a pretty normal view for a lot of people.  Heck when I lived in a house all the side windows just showed another house, no sky.

All the side windows is fine.  If they make the apartments so that each unit faces more than one direction thats fine.  If all someone can see from any of their windows is another building, then thats poor planning in my opinion.  Sure, 200 years from now when our population has gone up by a factor of 50 we should be cramming buildings together like that, but why are we letting it happen now?   

• lanforod likes this

#162 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

I was thinking the Funeral Parlour would be a great steakhouse,of course only if they go with my preferred name, Slab.
  • Rob Randall, Nparker and DavidSchell like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#163 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

nagel, on 16 Feb 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

She bothers me less than she bothers other people.  My main issue with her is it appears she loves to say no.

Conceptually I have an issue with "re-purposed funeral home".

Yeah, you can never get the smell of formaldehyde out of the place.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#164 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

All the side windows is fine.  If they make the apartments so that each unit faces more than one direction thats fine.  If all someone can see from any of their windows is another building, then thats poor planning in my opinion.  Sure, 200 years from now when our population has gone up by a factor of 50 we should be cramming buildings together like that, but why are we letting it happen now?   

Is city council supposed to deny this request because it's too close to another building? This is the land that the developers own and they've done a lot of work in putting together a plan to make it worthwhile by having the density required. And unless some other land owner is going to trade land plots for no reason, I fail to see how denying this request is helpful, good for business or good for improving density downtown.

Also... 200 years? That's silly. Let's look at the "core". South of Fisgard, north of Fairfield, between Douglas and Cook is something like 60 blocks. On those 60 blocks something like 30 already have at least one building over 5 stories on them. At the current rates, there's about 3 new buildings a year in this area, which means that at current rate we're talking maybe 20-30 years before this area has at least another apartment or condo on every block in this square. Demand for affordable housing continues to increase which means that the growth rate for high rises will likely continue on its current course.

#165 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

I agree with NParker that the smaller tower will be near Legato but I still think if 989 gets built like the picture it will be the nicest looking building in the downtown area ...

• Nparker likes this

#166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:10 AM

I just wish someone could provide a rendering that shows the actual proximity of 989's west tower to Legato. Maybe it's not as close as I imagine.

• 2F2R likes this

#167 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

Is city council supposed to deny this request because it's too close to another building? 

Yes - basically.  Thats what zoning is for.  Its why there are setbacks, height limits, use limits etc. so that owner A building something on their property doesn't destroy the value of owner B's property.  

I'm saying that Victoria needs to rethink their setback rules for large buildings so that we aren't building housing that is marketed as high quality that ultimately ends up being crappy because something gets built that is very close and completely blocks views and erodes privacy.

In this case, of course, the Legato should not have been allowed to be built on such a small lot either.  

The way other cities deal with this is the concept of air rights.  If you want to build a tall building on a small lot, then you have to buy the air rights from adjacent lots to compensate those owners for not being able to build something tall in the future.  

#168 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

What's the actual distance of the two buildings?  Someone needs to do a side by side site plans as they'll fit in the block.

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

We're working on that now. The developer will be providing us with a bird's eye view soon.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#170 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

Yes - basically.  Thats what zoning is for.  Its why there are setbacks, height limits, use limits etc. so that owner A building something on their property doesn't destroy the value of owner B's property.  

I'm saying that Victoria needs to rethink their setback rules for large buildings so that we aren't building housing that is marketed as high quality that ultimately ends up being crappy because something gets built that is very close and completely blocks views and erodes privacy.

See, that's something I can agree on, which is adjusting the rules for proximity for tall building that affects all construction. It read to me that you wanted to reject the building purely on the basis that it's next to another one, but I see what you mean now.

I do believe, however, that this will happen more and more going forward so it would be good to strengthen those rules now.

Edited by Danma, 17 February 2016 - 10:49 AM.

• jklymak likes this

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:18 AM

Taller, slimmer buildings would help alleviate this issue.

• jklymak likes this

#172 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

Legato will be in between the two towers of the McCall's lot but likely with some overlap at the corners.

victoria-legatoandmccallslot.jpg

Note: image is just an estimate of tower locations
  • Baro, Nparker, thundergun and 1 other like this

#173 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

That looks more than fine, huge amount of space and they're staggered.

• 2F2R likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#174 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

Totally fine. Its going to look great

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Legato will be in between the two towers of the McCall's lot but likely with some overlap at the corners...

Thank you Dylan. That's the sort of image I have been trying to see since this project was first announced. If it is correct then I think 989's developers have done a more than adequate job of ensuring that the north facing residents in Legato are not staring directly into the windows of 989.

• 2F2R likes this

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

Here we are:

989-Johnson-birds-eye.jpg

• Baro, Nparker and jklymak like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#177 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Also keep in mind that the grade level at 989 is at least the second floor of Legato.

#178 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

if anything the presence of the other building would make MORE likely to buy in either of these developments. Added vibrancy and more of an established downtown feel.
  • jonny likes this

#179 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

She bothers me less than she bothers other people.  My main issue with her is it appears she loves to say no.

Conceptually I have an issue with "re-purposed funeral home".

view-of-the-pub.jpg

Source: http://media-cdn.tri...-of-the-pub.jpg

This pub in Calgary is a former funeral home. Since it is down the street from my old house i went there once or twice before i found out. The beer was fine but the nachos always came out slightly burnt.

• nagel likes this

#180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

Any chance 989 Johnson Street will break ground this year? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users