View Royal Sooke Langford

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

New mayor coming to VR.  Pro-AM ought to run a mayor candidate.

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

We know there will be a new mayor in Sooke.   Councillors Maja Tait and Herb Haldane are in the running.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:19 AM

I guess we presume Young is running again here?

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

In office since 1992, why change now?

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

In office since 1992, why change now?

At some point there are a lot of chickens that will come home to roost. We still have the $29M that was borrowed for the overpass, a bankrupt bowling complex and infrastructure that was originally paid for by new development but which now becomes a liability of the taxpayers.

My guess is that Stew and his council call it a day just before all of that happens.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

It's unclear to me why a private bowling operator thought they could make money, seeing as all others were closing.

#7 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but did Town and Country Lanes and Mayfair Lane close due to development of the sites they sat on?

T&C for Uptown and Mayfair for SOF

I thought they were doing quite well

• AndrewReeve likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

I thought so too. The lanes in Langford are just too far for the majority of the population.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

Yes. I see no reason why a well placed bowling alley wouldn't do well in Victoria, especially considering there is no competition now. Say, Capital 6 building area? With a 30 story tower above it? :P

• Nparker and AndrewReeve like this

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

Yes. I see no reason why a well placed bowling alley wouldn't do well in Victoria...

As long as any new facility includes some 5-pin lanes. I am hopeless at 10-pin. :squint:

#11 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

Langford had the opportunity for some 5 pin lanes there but when aksed if they were going to Stews bright remark was that 10 pin balls were made in 8 lb sizes and most people could handle an 8lb ball.

They totally missed the mark

5 pin bowling which is only in Canada not the USA is very popular and there are countless people who play it in leagues and Victoria could really use some 5 pin lanes kids love it too

• Nparker likes this

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

Personally I prefer 10 pin. More satisfying. Lol

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Langford election candidates as of 3:30pm today:

Mayor:

David Shebib 
Stewart Young 

Council: 

Pauline Adams 
Paul Barber 
Denise Blackwell 
Dustin Finerty 
Grant McLachlan 
Andre Mollon 
Jim Munro 
Timothy Power 
Matt Sahlstrom T 
Lanny Seaton 
Winnie Sifert 
Lillian Szpak 
Roger Wade

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Sooke election candidates as of 3:30pm today

Mayor: 

Herb Haldane 
David Shebib 
Maja Tait 

Council: 

Jeff Bateman 
Bev Berger 
Justin Hanson 
Rick Kasper 
Ebony Logins 
Brenda Parkinson 
Kevin Pearson 
Kel Phair 
Kerrie Reay 
Mark Whiteson

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

Brian Burchill was just on CFAX.

He has no website (it's being worked on).

He is not 100% sure if View Royal is having an amalgamation question on the ballot, but he believes they are not, "if (his) information is correct".

He does not seem prepared to be View Royal Mayor.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

Langford Councillor Roger Wade shames teenage female umpire in Facebook tirade.

http://vancouverisla...istId=1.2504242

Roger Wade: "So out. Way to go [umpire's name]. You suck.

Anyone who called Roger out for setting a bad example for a politician and sports coach got a tirade of f***-yous. When it blew up he deleted the posts and later refused to comment to the reporter.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

I was at the game.  It was a terrible call, but the umpire had a bad angle on it.  In baseball, esp. when you have less umpires than a major league game, umpires have to cover more area, and they move their position based on the number of outs, the position of the baserunners and even the pitch count.  I have no idea if she was where she was supposed to be on that play, but it was botched, everyone in the stands could see it better.

Wade was not the only one that was very vocal at that point of the game.  It was pretty ugly, with probably dozens yelling bad stuff at her.

I could tell she was female, but from where I watched, could not make out her age.

I felt badly for her and the senior umpire.  

Real ugly.

This all went down about 11:00am.  No beer had been consumed, there was none for sale at the park.

I'm not sure why later on Wade had to carry on on Facebook.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

Abuse of the officials seems to be more prevalent in amateur sports these days.

We need  to lighten up and have fun at the games.

:banana:  :banana:  :banana:

• Rob Randall and lanforod like this

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

It was an elimination game in the provincial finals.  And the botch lead to Nanaimo scoring like 4 in that inning and blowing the game open.

If any time to lose cool, it was then.

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

Wade was not the only one that was very vocal at that point of the game.  It was pretty ugly, with probably dozens yelling bad stuff at her.

Why do we accept this? Why do we condone this activity? We put our pink shirts for anti-bullying events every year and the next day we're back to telling teenage volunteers what worthless f***ing idiots they are.

And these bullies defend themselves and we accept it. "It's an important game!" No, it's teenage kids playing a game that in the grand scheme of things is actually meaningless.

The lessons they learn at the ballpark are far greater than any cheap trophy. 

To hell with it all.

• Nparker, Jill, Bingo and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users