Victoria

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

What a waste of time and money.   Announcement coming Thursday morning.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Announcement? What, that she's not running? We already knew that.

Unless you're actually saying she is running. But that can't be true because that would be illogical. Cray cray as the kids say.

Because if your goal is to topple a multi-term mayor with strong party backing and loyal local support and at the same time elbow out a progressive, well funded and aggressive challenger you're going to need to charge out of the blocks with guns blazing and a professionally-run campaign that gains momentum leading into the fall. 

Sorry, Ida. Maybe next time.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

I have been hearing for more than two months that an announcement is coming any day......   

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

VOTE

IDA

CHONG

She Makes The Tough Decisions

...Eventually

• Bernard and Jill like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

How does Ida Chong even come close to resonating with Victoria voters?  

She lives outside Victoria.

She's a provincial Liberal

- Victoria-Beacon Hill has only elected a Liberal once in 23 years (Jeff Bray, and only by 30 votes in 2001, when the NDP only won 2 seats)  

- Victoria-Hillside the same, 2001 when Sheila Orr won by less than 100 votes

She is the point-person everyone, rightly or wrongly, blames for no provincial money for JSB 

• tedward likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

No, she lives in Saanich--Gordon Head. Not that it makes a difference. 

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

No, she lives in Saanich--Gordon Head. Not that it makes a difference. 

Ah, OK, I changed it.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

I have been hearing for more than two months that an announcement is coming any day......   

Media have invites for a 10am pc.

http://www.cfax1070....-City-of-Victor

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

My bet is she will indeed be running for mayor. My other bet is any chance Lisa Helps has to unseat Fortin will be that much slimmer.
  • John M. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

My bet is she will indeed be running for mayor. My other bet is any chance Lisa Helps has to unseat Fortin will be that much slimmer.

If Ida Chong does enter the race, perhaps the mayoral race will be a repeat of her last provincial campaign: the NDP and Liberal candidates spending all their time, effort, and vitriol on each other, allowing the third party candidate (Lisa Helps in this case) to come up the middle and win.

Ida may be the sock-puppet that some business types want as Mayor, but there seems to be others who want Lisa Helps. John Juricic, a former Chair of the Chamber of Commerce, has already publicly backed her.

#11 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

I don't understand the negativity. I think she would make a great Mayor. We can all agree upon the fact that an NDP mayoral candidate is lackluster, and why not one who has a strong provincial political connection with our leading party ya know? 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think that the issue with Ida are the false starts. The perception is that the business community went through every name in their rolodex and she was what was left over. They tried this a few years ago with Rob Reid and it didn't work too well.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

Where was Ida when the City of Victoria was figuring out ways to finance the Johnson Street Bridge?

She was a Liberal MLA at the time.

• tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

I've met Ida (my former MLA) several times, and she seemed affable. But I question some of the claims she made about how she "personally brought improvements" to Oak Bay-Gordon Head (I.e Jubilee Hospital Expansions, Oak Bay High Replacements) 

#15 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

If she ran in Oak Bay she would most likely get it but I doubt her chances in Vic. But if this helps bleed votes from Fortin then maybe Helps stands a chance
  • Mixed365 likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

But if this helps bleed votes from Fortin then maybe Helps stands a chance

I don't think that's the way it'll work.  This is most likely to hurt Helps.

Hurt Helps would not be a cool name for a rock band.

• rjag likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

Yeah, if she runs its over for Helps. The two ladies will "Moses split" the anti-Fortin vote.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#18 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

I don't understand the negativity. I think she would make a great Mayor. We can all agree upon the fact that an NDP mayoral candidate is lackluster, and why not one who has a strong provincial political connection with our leading party ya know? 

My concerns with Ida Chong are many. I met her several times at charity events (her modus operandi was to grab as much free food as she could, schmooze, and then leave as soon as she could, never donating anything that I can remember), and have heard opinions of her from those she worked with and worked for her, none of them good. For example, a former Deputy Minister I won't name said something along the lines of "as a person, she's fine, but she couldn't chair a meeting of two. The two reasons she held ten different minor portfolios, one for less than a month, was that she was awful at her job, but we needed a woman who was a racial minority for the sake of the appearance of diversity." 

• Minister of State for Women’s and Seniors’ Services: January 26, 2004 – December 15, 2004
  • Minister of Advanced Education: December 15, 2004 – June 16, 2005
  • Minister of Community Services: June 16, 2005 – June 23, 2008
  • Minister responsible for Seniors' and Women's Issues: June 16, 2005 – June 23, 2008
  • Minister of Technology, Trade and Economic Development:June 23, 2008 – January 19, 2009
  • Minister responsible for Asia-Pacific Initiative: June 23, 2008 – June 10, 2009
  • Minister of Small Business, Technology and Economic Development: January 19, 2009 – June 10, 2009
  • Minister of Healthy Living and Sport: June 10, 2009 – October 25, 2010
  • Minister of Science and Universities: October 25, 2010 - November 22, 2010
  • Minister of Regional Economic and Skills Development: November 22, 2010 -  May 14, 2013

Name one meaningful thing she did for the province or the citizens of Saanich and Oak Bay. You can't. She was an empty suit who enjoyed the trappings of power and minor titles more than doing anything useful. She would be a disaster as Mayor of Victoria.

Edited by R0ark, 17 September 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

And as mentioned earlier she did nothing to bring in provincial funding for the bridge. Such lack of provincial support for such a major project is unheard of.

Now she wants to be mayor of Victoria? No way.

Know it all.

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

Team her up with Helps ,Madoff and Isit ...now that would be a disater the likes of the F5 Tornado

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users