Victoria

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

Vote Ida Chong to solve the Blue Bridge boondoggle As Mayor, Ida will…

• Adopt the Huggett report recommendations;
• Provide executive oversight for the Blue Bridge project

Yes, because no-one else has thought of that solution.

• Nparker, sebberry and J_Loveday like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

'Like' if you'd like to stop seeing the term Boondoggle used in elections.

• Nparker, sebberry, J_Loveday and 2 others like this

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

One of the fastest growing parts of Victoria’s municipal budget has been the City Hall budget itself.  For instance, under the current Mayor, there has been a rapid expansion of the Mayor’s communications team, it has increased nearly 15% over the last year. Victoria’s residents simply cannot afford a continued expansion of such politically-driven costs.

As Mayor, Ida will…

• Protect taxpayers by freezing Victoria’s property tax mill-rates for 4 years;
• Protect permissive property tax exemptions for non-profit groups and charities;
• Reduce spending for the mayor’s political and communications operations, and focus spending on essential-services.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

... She's also acknowledged that some people will try to use her non-residency against her.

...as they should.

• J_Loveday likes this

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

...• Reduce spending for the mayor’s political and communications operations...

Yeah, I bet.

#46 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

At least Chong is aware of and able to articulate some of the critical, pressing issues that are facing this city.

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

Am I missing something, or is Chong not addressing amalgamation?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

Am I missing something, or is Chong not addressing amalgamation?

When she was on CFAX (and Kelowna radio) today, she said she was in favour.  I hope Kelowna enjoyed the 1/2 hour of Victoria city politics.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

...• Reduce spending for the mayor’s political and communications operations...

Yeah, I bet.

Symbolic at best. You still need a warm body to handle communication, write press releases and answer media inquiries. Sure you might be able to fire a manager or two and save a few thousand it probably means another employee gets roped into doing it.

Edited by Holden West, 18 September 2014 - 02:00 PM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Ya, but not everyone follows as close as us.  

Andrew J. Reeve says there were 150 supporters at her reception this morning.  I think you have to presume she comes with a very large volunteer team left over from her provincial politics, and we heard reports of them raising $30k at that first meeting a few weeks back, before she was in.

There was definitely not 150 people there. Maybe there was 75, tops. Also, it would be particularly galling to have her old volunteer teams from Oak Bay and Saanich, carpet-bagging into VIctoria to tell us how we should vote for someone they won't be voting for. 

Edited by R0ark, 18 September 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#51 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

There was definitely not 150 people there.

When I asked the volunteer at the desk how many people were there she showed me 5 pages full of names on the sign-in clipboard and said "about 150" so I don't think her estimate is that far off.

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#52 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

^ not all were supporters though?

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Does it matter?  She needs thousands of votes, not sure what can be there on a Thursday morning makes a big difference.

#54 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

When I asked the volunteer at the desk how many people were there she showed me 5 pages full of names on the sign-in clipboard and said "about 150" so I don't think her estimate is that far off.

I didn't count, so I suppose I could be wrong, but 150 on that patio? Is that even possible?

#55 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Does it matter?  She needs thousands of votes, not sure what can be there on a Thursday morning makes a big difference.

It's a good indicator of the level of her support, but yeah, it is beside the point. I didn't see many eager volunteers, just family and her Oak Bay backers.

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

Check out the comments section after this TC article; there appears to be little love for Ms. Chong's addition to the Victoria mayoral list: http://www.timescolo...toria-1.1379764

#57 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

I find it incredibly ironic the people who are in uproar about her living in Saanich, not Victoria, yet are so pro-amalgamation. 

• jonny likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#58 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

I might vote for her because she seems to be pro business and thats what the city needs atm
  • Mixed365 likes this

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

I find it incredibly ironic the people who are in uproar about her living in Saanich, not Victoria, yet are so pro-amalgamation. 

Once the 4 core municipalities amalgamate then she can run for mayor of the new city; until then she has no vested interest in securing the best future for Victoria.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

I don't get worked up about her living elsewhere.  I'd be more concerned with an Oak Bay resident running in North Saanich.

• John M. and Mixed365 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users