Oak Bay

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

Just drove through Oak Bay and there are lots of signs for Hazel.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#22 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

I counted the signs on my block this morning whilst walking the dogs. 6 for Michelle Kirby, 3 for Andrew Stinson, , 1 each for Tara Ney, Tom Croft and Kevin Murdoch. As for mayor, 3 signs for Nils 

#23 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

Focus has done a profile of the mayoral challengers in the City of Victoria, Oak Bay and Saanich elections. You can find our story on Cairine Green here: http://focusonline.ca/?q=node/789

David Broadland

#24 Neko

Neko
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

This is my first time voting in Oak Bay. Does anyone know who is Pro and anti deer cull among the candidates? Thanks.
  • todd likes this

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

Welcome to the forum, Neko

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 Oak Bay Guy

Oak Bay Guy
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

All incumbents (including both mayoral candidates) voted for a limited and humane deer cull, and then to pass the meat onto First Nations communities. The cull was postponed as the traps were vandalized elsewhere in BC. 

I think that decision was quite courageous despite how some may believe it callous.

I cannot say much about the new candidates. Of the ones I have talked to, most are for a deer management strategy of some kind, including non-lethal means such as sterilization.

If sterilization becomes the option, I feel this will likely raise the pilots costs. And, the deer will continue to die from cars, impale themselves on fences, or drown in backyward pools/ponds. There's also the inevitability of a 100 kilo buck getting aggressive with a person (not just dogs). 

This is not an easy decision for any council given the pilot's complexity, the weight of public safety, the damage deer do, and saying to yourself that killing animals is OK.

• Mike K. likes this

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

Welcome to the forum, Oak Bay Guy

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#28 Oak Bay Guy

Oak Bay Guy
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

I'm seeing lots of Zhelka signs (as well as a few Ney, Holmes, and Johannsen signs) littering public property. Zhelka put a sign on a friend's property without permission! Nice...

The bylaw restricts election signs from being placed on public spaces. Some would argue this bylaw is unconstitutional, and wouldn't hold up in court... so, the Muni does not remove them. Is that an excuse?

How is this show any class or grace as a leader? 

#29 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:54 PM

Ironic, given Zhelka's position of bylaw infringement when it comes to building.

#30 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

I hate to be a hypocrite (There is nothing I love more then anonymously attacking public officials over the internet), but I must question when someone creates a VV profile within a few days of an election and within their first posts they begin attacking a specific candidate. 

#31 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

I hate to be a hypocrite (There is nothing I love more then anonymously attacking public officials over the internet), but I must question when someone creates a VV profile within a few days of an election and within their first posts they begin attacking a specific candidate. 

You and I are on the exact same page. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#32 Oak Bay Guy

Oak Bay Guy
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

@John M and @Mixed365 - for the record, I've been a long time lurker, and never bothered posting before now. 

The sign thing irks me, especially dropping them here and there shirking bylaws (a few candidates noted), and without permission of a resident (one candidate noted).  I wouldn't care which candidate did this, I would slam them all the same.

Did anyone go to the debate last night?

#33 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

@John M and @Mixed365 - for the record, I've been a long time lurker, and never bothered posting before now. 

The sign thing irks me, especially dropping them here and there shirking bylaws (a few candidates noted), and without permission of a resident (one candidate noted).  I wouldn't care which candidate did this, I would slam them all the same.

Did anyone go to the debate last night?

No. I was watching midterms. Far more interesting.

#34 Oak Bay Guy

Oak Bay Guy
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

Oak Bay News highlighting Kevin's heroic tweet to remind candidates about not putting signs on public property!  I see his signs clustered with Zhelka and Holmes, so damage control maybe?

#35 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

I'm seeing lots of Zhelka signs (as well as a few Ney, Holmes, and Johannsen signs) littering public property. Zhelka put a sign on a friend's property without permission! Nice...

The bylaw restricts election signs from being placed on public spaces. Some would argue this bylaw is unconstitutional, and wouldn't hold up in court... so, the Muni does not remove them. Is that an excuse?

It might be an excuse. Most people would hold Section Two of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in higher regard than an unconstitutional bylaw in Oak Bay, particularly one designed to restrict political dialogue during municipal elections.

#36 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

For anyone interested, here is the actual section from the Oak Bay sign bylaw:

Political Signs
12. The regulations of this Bylaw shall not prohibit political signs provided such signs:
(1) shall not be erected more than 30 days prior to election day;
(2) are removed within 7 days following election day; and
(3) shall not be erected on public property or where they could interfere with
traffic safety

#37 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

I voted for:

Nils Jensen for Mayor

Michelle Kirby, Andrew Stinson, Hazel Braithwaite, Kevin Murdoch, and Heather Holmes for council. 

#38 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Where did you go Oak Bay Guy?

I think Oak Bays sign bylaw is reasonable for residential areas, no third-party signs, election signs only permitted 30 days prior to an election and must be removed within seven days. I would interpret that to mean ideological signs like the "Vote CBC", "Fawn Crossing/Expect Deer " and "Slow Down" signs would be permitted prior to an election. 

It's "Freedom Of Speech" not "Freedom Of Sign" there a lot of asterisks beside freedom of speech.

I should have the right to walk around in a residential area and be able to clear my head destress and relax I am no longer able to do that, due to someone else trying to impress their beliefs onto me.

I do think the bylaw could be altered to allow a residents to place a political sign on the boulevard that is touching their property during the allowed time periods however.

I think there is a way to force Oak Bay to challenge/enforce their own sign bylaws, just need a sign that is considered offensive to some. Apparently simple animated nudity is not enough to offend, as the statue on OB avenue taught me, so one would have to go bigger and bolder. Whatever it is I'm thinking a rotating sign would be most inappropriate.  :)

What would your sign say? http://www.vistaprin...ers&xnav=TopNav

#39 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Oak Bay needs a full-time mayor about as much as BC Ferries needs go-go dancers.

Would be an excellent way to fill up the Seawest Lounge.  :banana:

• Nparker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users