Erik Kaye | Victoria | Councillor

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 ninethreeseven

ninethreeseven
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

Erik Kaye is running for Victoria City Council in the November 2014 municipal election.

Key issues for Erik include public infrastructure, affordability, and the environment. He supports municipal amalgamation and is focused on the need for a better sewage treatment plan for Victoria, and the importance of bringing the Johnson St. Bridge project to a successful conclusion.

Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ErikKayeYYJ

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/erikkaye2014

Edited by ninethreeseven, 17 September 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

I notice that Erik previously served as a Director for the North Park Neighbourhood Association. I am wondering his take on the current St. Andrew's School proposal.

• AllseeingEye and Amused like this

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

I notice that Erik previously served as a Director for the North Park Neighbourhood Association. I am wondering his take on the current St. Andrew's School proposal.

As am I; in fact it would be good to know generally what his philosophy in general is re: density and height in the downtown core above and beyond North Park......

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thanks and welcome, ninethreeseven.

I'm always a little skeptical when someone's platform seems to be based solely on current issues affecting the city.  Sewage, JSB and amalgamation are pretty common topics these days and it's easy to take a "we need to do better" position to win votes. 

• Jill likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

As am I; in fact it would be good to know generally what his philosophy in general is re: density and height in the downtown core above and beyond North Park......

I am using this as my litmus test for all candidates in this election.

• Baro and AllseeingEye like this

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

I am using this as my litmus test for all candidates in this election.

Good man! :thumbsup:

#7 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

I asked him about St. Andrew's when I saw him canvassing. He used the term 'big box store' and referred to the 'right kind of density' for the site. From my understanding, in our very brief conversation, he is opposed to the current plan for the St. Andrew's site.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

Good to know Mr. Cook Street. He appears to be parroting the NIMBYs without doing any research of his own. Unless I hear differently in the next 8 weeks Erik will NOT be getting my vote come November 15.

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

Some people give off that "community garden" vibe.  Erik is giving off that vibe.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

I thought I recognized him...

From his facebook page...

I'll be addressing Victoria City Council tonight in support of the proposal to reduce speed limits on sections of major city streets like Cook, Bay and the Gorge. High speeds in residential neighbourhoods are a concern to many residents, and I'm hearing about this issue a lot on the doorsteps. What do you think? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

A snowball has a better chance in Hades than Erik has of getting my vote. His mindset is already over-represented on Council.

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Guy Dauncey

“Victoria needs to show the world what sustainable living looks like on the ground, with joyful neighbourhoods, affordable housing, local food, easy cycling and great public transit. We need Erik Kaye's leadership at City Hall to help make it happen.”

Murray Rankin, MP, Victoria

“I have known Erik for two decades. He has a wealth of knowledge about environmental and energy policy and I'm delighted he wishes to bring his knowledge and experience to Victoria City Council.”

*face palm*

What in the hell is a joyful neighborhood anyway? We do not need a Victoria city Council that has anything to do with an energy policy.

This just reeks of a feel good candidate who is totally out of touch with the real issues that face City Hall and Victoria taxpayers.

• Nparker likes this

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

Well I'm having an easy time learning who NOT to vote for, still not finding any candidates to actually vote for :(

• Nparker, sebberry and jonny like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

*face palm*

What in the hell is a joyful neighborhood anyway? We do not need a Victoria city Council that has anything to do with an energy policy.

Energy and environmental policies need to be set at the provincial, or more appropriately the federal level. 

Civic candidates who preach environmental responsibility and tackling climate change are already off the rails as far as I'm concerned.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing bags of garbage out the window of my lifted Hummer as I blast down the road but changes at the municipal level do very, very little to effect any real change on the "global warming" front.

• Nparker likes this

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

Energy and environmental policies need to be set at the provincial, or more appropriately the federal level...

And I might add most social policies such as homelessness & poverty, not to mention foreign policy (i.e. the letter to Mr. Putin). Cities should keep the infrastructure in good working shape; promote an appropriate balance between business and resident interests; and manage/fund necessary local emergency and peace-keeping services...and that's pretty much it.

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

The frustrating thing for me is when municipal politicians create work for themselves by rolling out new and costly "green" initiatives or sending sternly written letters to Vladimir Putin while failing at the basics like project management, budgeting and promoting growth.

• Nparker likes this

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'd really like it if we could discuss the platforms of left-of-centre candidates without invoking Stalin, Trotsky, Lenin, Mao, Kim Jung Un or Pol Pot. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'd really like it if we could discuss the platforms of left-of-centre candidates without invoking Stalin, Trotsky, Lenin, Mao, Kim Jung Un or Pol Pot. 

Huh? If you are referencing the Putin letter, that was not a "leftist" attack. As I am sure you are aware, Victoria City Council wrote a letter of strong concern to Mr. Putin around the time of the 2014 Winter Olympics regarding his country's stance on "homosexual propaganda". Now I think Mr. Putin is a deranged madman, and I don't trust him as far as I could throw him, but even so I really don't think it is the business of my city council to take the time to send their anti-Putin thoughts in an official letter from the City. This is NOT why they were elected, IMHO.

• jonny and AndrewReeve like this

#19 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

Erik was a long-standing president of Victoria's federal NDP riding association. Odd that his website does not mention this.

He still turns up as such on some of the federal NDP pages: http://victoriandp.ca/welcome

Erik also ran for Victoria council under the banner of the Victoria Civic Electors, the municipal NDP, in 2005, finishing 14th: http://victoriavisio...on-results.html

#20 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Huh? If you are referencing the Putin letter, that was not a "leftist" attack. As I am sure you are aware, Victoria City Council wrote a letter of strong concern to Mr. Putin around the time of the 2014 Winter Olympics regarding his country's stance on "homosexual propaganda". Now I think Mr. Putin is a deranged madman, and I don't trust him as far as I could throw him, but even so I really don't think it is the business of my city council to take the time to send their anti-Putin thoughts in an official letter from the City. This is NOT why they were elected, IMHO.

Exactement.

In my opinion, we need more elected representatives who are willing to tackle the tangible issues the City of Victoria faces. We don't need somebody whose goal is to tackle global warming or oppose oil pipelines.

• R0ark likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users