Erik Kaye | Victoria | Councillor

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

...We don't need somebody whose goal is to tackle global warming or oppose oil pipelines.

Unless those become the #1 local issues and can be adequately addressed at the municipal level.  :squint:

#22 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

Erik was a long-standing president of Victoria's federal NDP riding association. Odd that his website does not mention this.

He still turns up as such on some of the federal NDP pages: http://victoriandp.ca/welcome

Erik also ran for Victoria council under the banner of the Victoria Civic Electors, the municipal NDP, in 2005, finishing 14th: http://victoriavisio...on-results.html

Good to know thanks Jacques. I wonder if that "omission" could be deliberate? Hmmmmm. And yes naturally when I think of the current state of the North Park neighborhood - which is to say its pretty much where it was 20+ years ago when I lived there - quite obviously the descriptor "joyful" comes immediately to mind. Good grief. *Double face palm*. Its almost as if what little progress this city makes occurs in spite of certain people rather than because of them.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

As I am sure you are aware, Victoria City Council wrote a letter of strong concern to Mr. Putin around the time of the 2014 Winter Olympics regarding his country's stance on "homosexual propaganda". Now I think Mr. Putin is a deranged madman, and I don't trust him as far as I could throw him, but even so I really don't think it is the business of my city council to take the time to send their anti-Putin thoughts in an official letter from the City. This is NOT why they were elected, IMHO.

Exactement.

In my opinion, we need more elected representatives who are willing to tackle the tangible issues the City of Victoria faces. We don't need somebody whose goal is to tackle global warming or oppose oil pipelines.

I don't know what this has to do with Kaye's platform but thank you for participating in this forum! Your input is valuable!

Erik was a long-standing president of Victoria's federal NDP riding association. Odd that his website does not mention this.

Probably thinking the old VCE/NDP ties haven't helped him yet so time to downplay the partisanship. Fact is, if you're a fan of Madoff and Fortin and you cried when Luton lost, then Kaye is your man. He's toiled in the trenches for years now and he'll need very little time getting up to speed compared to other rookies. 

I agree, if he's against the Pandora development he's probably not a good choice.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

I don't know what this has to do with Kaye's platform but thank you for participating in this forum! Your input is valuable!

Well these issues are mentioned in Kaye's endorsements, which he has chosen to put on his website. One might infer these issues are important to Mr. Kaye.

• Nparker likes this

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

I don't know what this has to do with Kaye's platform but thank you for participating in this forum! Your input is valuable!...

I was simply responding to your post: 

I'd really like it if we could discuss the platforms of left-of-centre candidates without invoking Stalin, Trotsky, Lenin, Mao, Kim Jung Un or Pol Pot. 

I was, and remain puzzled by this comment, since I am not sure who invoked the names of the dictators on your list.

#26 Erik.Kaye

Erik.Kaye
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hello Vibrant Victoria!

Thanks for all the feedback.  Just to clarify a few points:

There is no current "St Andrew’s Proposal" — the proponent requested a postponement of the scheduled public hearing to do further consultation with neighbourhood residents, and council unanimously agreed to the request for a delay.  I have attended North Park neighbourhood meetings and have met with representatives from Bosa, who I found to be of good intent with genuine desire to benefit the community with their proposal. I am hopeful that an improved proposal with community support will be presented to council in the coming weeks, and I will keep an open mind to consider that revised proposal on its merits.

My concern with the previous proposal was the amount of car traffic on Mason Street and impact on local residents and businesses.  I am a strong supporter of appropriate density that fits with the neighbourhood character.  I endorsed the redevelopment of the Janion Building downtown and recent infill developments in my own Fernwood neighbourhood.  Density done right is the best part of Victoria (Cook Street Village, Fernwood Square, Quadra Village, etc.)

I have been active with the NDP for many years, mostly at the federal level.  I believe civic politics should be non-partisan and I have many Liberal and Green party supporters in my campaign.  I didn't include my NDP roles on my city council election website, because I didn't want to mix partisan politics with a civic campaign.  

For those who think climate change is not relevant to a civic campaign, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I was out door-knocking in North Jubilee the other night and homeowners were telling me their basements were flooded during the recent severe rainstorm, because the storm water pipes got backed up and couldn't handle the volume of precipitation.  Extreme weather events will become more and more common with climate change, and it's the city's responsibility to plan for the future and make sure our infrastructure is adapted to changing weather patterns.

I look forward to ongoing dialogue between now and November 15 — please do not hesitate to contact me at any time: e.kaye@shaw.ca

• Mr Cook Street and John M. like this

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

Welcome to VV, Erik.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

For those who think climate change is not relevant to a civic campaign, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I was out door-knocking in North Jubilee the other night and homeowners were telling me their basements were flooded during the recent severe rainstorm, because the storm water pipes got backed up and couldn't handle the volume of precipitation.  Extreme weather events will become more and more common with climate change, and it's the city's responsibility to plan for the future and make sure our infrastructure is adapted to changing weather patterns.

You don't think ageing infrastructure is to blame and not the boogeyman "climate change?" Climate is changing all the time, because things are different today then then were 30 years ago does not mean the City of Victoria's elected officials should take it upon themselves to solve the world's perceived problems. Meanwhile, were the people who you spoke with and who complained about climate change cycling commuters or were there cars parked in the driveway?

I want my candidates to focus on the region, not global policy. No matter what we do locally its federal and international politics that will drive change, not a 19 square kilometer blip on a global radar screen.

• Nparker, sebberry, John M. and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

....Density done right is the best part of Victoria (Cook Street Village, Fernwood Square, Quadra Village, etc.)...

If any of those neighbourhoods are your concept of "density" Erik, we are on very different pages. Walkable, livable, yes. But dense, no.

• AllseeingEye and John M. like this

#30 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

If any of those neighbourhoods are your concept of "density" Erik, we are on very different pages. Walkable, livable, yes. But dense, no.

What are you talking about? Two floors high is insanely dense!!!!

• Nparker, Mixed365 and NotHudsonMack like this

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Agreeing to disagree leaves both parties sitting in opposite corners of the room with their arms crossed.  It isn't a great way to engage with residents of Victoria. 

I can appreciate your passion for wanting to make improvements in GHGs, alternative transportation, etc... 

I posted a stat in another thread where something like the top 15 of the world's 90,000 ocean going freighter ships pollute more than most of the world's cars combined.  Shifting a few drivers from cars to bikes or busses will do nothing to stop basements from flooding. 

The infrastructure changes that need to happen include things like improved stormwater management, not more bike lanes or an LRT line. 

Policies that will improve the impacts of humans on the climate happen at a much higher level than civic politics.  Bring manufacturing back to North America so we don't have to import so much from China.  Enact energy policies that sees the phase out of coal and fossil fuel power plants in favor of nuclear and thorium based generation.  These aren't things that happen between the borders of Oak Bay and Saanich. 

Unfortunately with climate change being such a hot button issue these days, it's easy to be fooled into thinking residents want city councillors to fix everything that is wrong with the planet.  It's a classic case of forming questions to get the response you want in order to dodge the real issue of adapting to the effects of climate change. 

• Mike K., Nparker, Hotel Mike and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#32 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

Density done right is the best part of Victoria (Cook Street Village, Fernwood Square, Quadra Village, etc.)

CSV is an example of "density done right" to you? Changes the clown is talking more sense than that Erik!

• Nparker and Mixed365 like this

#33 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

What are you talking about? Two floors high is insanely dense!!!!

"Density done right" is very similar to ex Chief Planner for the City of Vancouver Brent Toderian's slogan "Density done well." I've always like the ring to it and meaning behind it. You create a vibrant area with a lot of activity, yet, you take into account sight lines, wind channels etc.

However, the unfortunate thing is your definition is flawed, Erik. Cook Street Village, Quadra Village, Fernwood Square definitely aren't anywhere near "dense." We need more density and it is unfortunate that you think we have it. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#34 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Kudos to Erik for joining up and engaging and "facing the music" even when its not always comfortable.

That said I have to agree on a couple of points; first only in Victoria it seems would someone claim that CSV is an example of "dense" development. I lived in CSV for nearly 6 years. I also lived (twice) in Kitsilano. Kitsilano, and the West End of Vancouver especially, are examples of "dense" development. CSV is merely an example of urban living. Erik even an dyed in the wool Victorian can't believe CSV is truly representative of density: on average IMO its about 20 stories and 30-50,000 people short of that goal.

Second while its laudable to have a social conscience with respect to the environment, re: flooded basements my expectation is that local/city politicians are focused on coming up with creative solutions to address crumbling or aging infrastructure without imposing a crushing tax burden on me, full stop. Fight the good climate change fight if you will - hats off to you - but do that largely on your own time.

While I completely agree we all in our own way can make a difference in terms of recycling and adopting "green shopping/refuse disposal practices" etc. on a local scale, big picture thinking tells me that unless, to pick but one example, you can dissuade nearly 2 billion Chinese from their current course of unfettered economic expansion - including, last time I checked, having something on the order of 800 coal generating plants either under construction or planned - overall whatever the good citizens of the hamlet of Victoria do will be utterly negated on a global environment impact scale by the fact ~ 600 million Chinese are, or have become, 'middle class'. And BTW they want the same things the middle class anywhere else wants, including that second (or third) ever-polluting automobile (how is that air quality these days in Beijing?), washers, driers, dish washing machines ad nauseum.

Therefore, and assuming a city of Victoria representative does not have that kind of clout (ask Dean Fortin if Generalissimo Putin responded to his LGBT crusade?), I would prefer my city council is focused on the here and now. Especially the "here" because Fire hall No 1 on Yates Street isn't getting any younger.....

• Nparker, sebberry and RFS like this

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Density: if we are truly serious and sincere about embracing village centres and housing our increasing population without infringing on our SFD neighbourhoods, Cook St. Village-sized centres can't cut it. It's not a popular stance politically but it's the reality. 

Environment: we're already dealing with it so suck it up. Every project is examined with regard to carbon footprint. Some want to pawn it off on higher levels of government but things don't work like that. 

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

Environment: we're already dealing with it so suck it up. Every project is examined with regard to carbon footprint. Some want to pawn it off on higher levels of government but things don't work like that. 

For new construction and planning it makes sense, but to ignore aging infrastructure that gets overloaded and floods basements and instead suggest we deal with it by trying to reverse climate change is completely unrealistic. 

Lots of little changes might make a difference if cities all around the world sync'd up and did it together, but this is really pie in the sky thinking. 

The biggest contributions to GHG emissions and excessive resource consumption simply can't be resolved at the municipal level. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#37 Erik.Kaye

Erik.Kaye
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:03 PM

Really like the discussion here; wish we were all at Habit Coffee in the Atrium to have this conversation, but a discussion forum will have to do for now. I used Cook Street Village et. al. as some examples of density, not that it is the only example or that it won't evolve over time. I lived in Vancouver as well, and both Commercial Drive and the West End are great, dense neighbourhoods. They are very different from each other, and the point I was trying to make is that density has to fit the character and design of the neighbourhood.

I would say Humboldt Valley is a more Vancouver-style density model and I'm OK with that approach in that part of downtown because it fits well there, while it wouldn't work in other parts of the city.

On climate change and infrastructure, one of my campaign planks is a 20-year infrastructure plan, precisely to address decaying sewer infrastructure as well as facilities such as the Crystal Pool and the fire hall.  Investing in infrastructure also helps reduce GHG emissions. An upgraded Crystal Pool, for example, will provide a quality recreation centre with easy pedestrian, transit and cycling access, and encourages active lifestyles that reduce costs on our health care system.

I'm not into "either-or" polarizing approaches to policy issues — I totally reject the "cyclist vs. driver" framing that some posts on this thread have referenced.  When I knock on doors, so many families have a car in the driveway, but also bicycles in their garage and baby stroller on the porch.  Many drivers are also cyclists and pedestrians — encouraging more cycling reduces traffic congestion and car accidents, and helps drivers get to their destinations faster. I think Victoria voters want integrated, "win-win" solutions — fighting climate change is about making our economy more efficient and resilient, and helping our citizens get active and healthy. I'm hearing a lot of support for that approach on the doorstep.

Thanks again for the feedback, let's keep the dialogue going.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

The way you get people out of their cars and onto the sidewalk or bike lanes isn't to build bike lanes, it's to promote residential density close to where people work. 

On the surface it makes sense that moving people from their cars to bikes would reduce the numbers of cars on the road, but what happens is when you free up road capacity it quickly gets used up again by people moving back to their cars.  Just look at the Goose and the Colwood crawl.  Despite the Goose being a perfectly viable transportation option for many people, the Colwood crawl remains a problem for commuters for several hours a day.

Back to density.  Many of those who work downtown live in houses in the Westshore.  They're affordable and allow them to live the lifestyle they want.  Nothing wrong with that.  But many also live in condos in the Westshore.  Why are they buying condos out there?  Price and availability.  Then they hop in their cars, endure the Colwood crawl, pay to park downtown all day and drive back home again.  Lather, rinse and repeat several times per week. 

So to solve the issue of unhealthy, inactive citizens who spend too much time in their cars and not enough time walking, you support projects that bring density to neighbourhoods close to where people work.  Supporting projects like the St. Andrews development will do much more to help you achieve that goal than bike lanes and lower speed limits.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and jonny like this

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

....I would say Humboldt Valley is a more Vancouver-style density model and I'm OK with that approach in that part of downtown because it fits well there, while it wouldn't work in other parts of the city...

While we have your ear Erik, can you please explain this statement? Do neighbourhoods not evolve and naturally become more dense over time; at least the ones in most direct proximity to the downtown core and the associated services? How are parts of the city such as North Park, Fairfield (especially the CSV) and other areas so close to the downtown core not suitable for greater density?

#40 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

I posted a stat in another thread where something like the top 15 of the world's 90,000 ocean going freighter ships pollute more than most of the world's cars combined.  . 

Off topic, but that is a very interesting statistic.  I'd be curious where you found such an incredible statistic.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users