The Songhees Neighbourhood in Vic West

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

If Chong gets miraculously elected then you wont need to think back to the days of Brewin or Turner the incompetency will be live and in your face

#42 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

^ Not going to happen HB.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#43 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

I know it wont but the thought of it happening is disturbing

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

That is true with the Songhees, but I also remember the Jawls wanted the whole thing a la Selkirk.  They said if they couldn't control the quality of the entire development they weren't interested so they passed

I don't think Streetlink, 595 Pandora, etc are that bad architecturally speaking.  Compare that to the 1960's addition to City Hall up the street, now that is FUGLY

Good God, you serious?

This would have been one of the most amazing developments in the City had the Jawls taken on the entire thing. And as I was saying, if a developer had been tasked with creating the guidelines, not the City, we would have seen an entirely different Songhees.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

Can someone dig up the old photo a posted here a long time ago of the Songees when it was industrial and repost it here

#46 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

Selkirk is a very good development with good design...by people passionate about the space and the location.

If only...Try not to think about it. Focus on the Roundhouse. It will save the area, if they get around to it....

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#47 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Can anybody point to another neighbourhood in Canada similar in scale to Songhees that was developed about the same time? It would be interesting to compare and contrast. Selkirk is newer.

The south side of False Creek in Vancouver between Burrard and Cambie St. is similar though larger. There's a school, a bit of retail (I'm excluding Granville Island), plenty of green space, and a few marinas. The architecture is duller though.

Leg in Boot Square - https://www.google.c...=k&deg=180&z=18

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

I've always felt that the south side of False Creek between Granville Island and the Cambie Bridge was very similar. It has some commercial space but it still feels isolated rather than integrated; the architecture tends to be bland and some of the styles & formats are inappropriate for the location; there are one-sided buildings like you have on the Songhees...

I don't know, sometimes I think the Songhees would have turned out exactly like that it if it had been "done right" from the start. Which is why I think we should be glad that the Songhees stalled and that the overall direction has changed recently.

Edited by aastra, 24 September 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#49 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yep thank goodness for the stall...
  • dasmo likes this

#50 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

Sorry, but its true, I remember hearing it right from Bobby and Mohney Jawl.

Its really a true Canadian success story for a family that came from India to labour in the mines that are now Butchart Gardens.  A true rags to riches story and it makes me proud to be a Canadian

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

And they're all such gentlemen, the Jawl's. My family dealt with them years ago and had nothing but praise for their business etiquette.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

Yeah it's always a pleasure to work with any of them.  Very easy to work with, great communication, and they actually pay their bills on time without any teeth pulling required.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#53 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

I think the only saving grace for the Songhees will be the Roundhouse lands. Ross Bay Cemetery has more action going on than the Songhees. The mention of LRT connecting VIc  West was referring to the E&N, which could still happen.

#54 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

I have a lot of respect for them, but its all business with them.  I've seen with others that as soon as you can't do anything for them anymore they don't even talk to you.  Its not a smart way to do business, but they have more money than me

You can also see a lot of difference between the older and younger brothers in their mannerisms

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

You can also see a lot of difference between the older and younger brothers in their mannerisms

As you can with any family.  To me that's refreshing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

No, its the cultural difference.  For example when Karnel was born there was little money and he didn't have the opportunity for higher education, but by the time there was more money the younger kids could afford to go to university.  If you watch closely you can see that the differences and they aren't positive in my opinion.  You have to think back to the 30s, 40s and even 50s when certain cultures were looked down upon

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think the only saving grace for the Songhees will be the Roundhouse lands. Ross Bay Cemetery has more action going on than the Songhees. The mention of LRT connecting VIc West was referring to the E&N, which could still happen.

The LRT was where Dockside Green's early phases are, I think. Presumably there was a plan to run LRT through Vic West once upon a time circa 1985?

Know it all.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

You have to think back to the 30s, 40s and even 50s when certain cultures were looked down upon...

It's a good thing that we managed to sort all of this stuff out.

• concorde likes this

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:04 PM

MarkoJ, on 20 Nov 2016 - 4:54 PM, said:

Another good example is the Songhees.....no traffic at that light depsite a lot of condos.

Is there any other local development with this many residents and yet so devoid of vibrancy?

Edited by Nparker, 20 November 2016 - 05:04 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#60 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

Well if you discount the typical suburb, I can't think of any other development at the moment.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users