Victoria

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

You know, by all means something could have got out of hand, but I'm not convinced a room full of mostly reasonable adults could not have dealt with it just as well as any "trained" security guard.  I don't think rent-a-cops are much good for anything.

If a security guard was there, Riga could have been removed for the event. As she herself stated, she was off her meds and should not have been allowed in the debate 

#42 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

So what's the point in all this for Ms. Godron?
If she's off her meds and losing the plot in an all candidates meeting, isn't it a reasonable question to ask how she's going to do at a council meeting when (potentially) millions of dollars are at stake?

Secondly, what's with the texterbating? You'd think that she could be a little more respectful of her audience than to constantly be pecking away at her phone, no?
  • John M. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#43 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

Whew - makes me happy to live in Saanich. Although we, too, have our hands full with interesting candidates - nothing like Victoria!

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

Whew - makes me happy to live in Saanich. Although we, too, have our hands full with interesting candidates - nothing like Victoria!

Don't forget, you have Mr. Shebib too!

• AndrewReeve likes this

#45 Ramone

Ramone
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

Just watched the coverage from last night on CTV News. Wow! She is crazy. What does she hope to accomplish with all this? She must have some hidden agenda because there's no chance of her winning. She's unstable and nobody is going to put her in charge of running a city.
  • John M. likes this

#46 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

She will however probably garner a handful of votes from thoae who close their eyes and pick a box

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

^^ Where are our manners?

Welcome to VibrantVictoria Ramone.

• HB likes this

#48 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

she triumphed over adversity to become a positive, cheerful, educated young woman with a bright future.

Well that triumph didn't last long.

Can't there be a debate with just the serious contenders instead of people being subjected to this offal?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

Video:

http://vancouverisla...o?clipId=470453

• Nparker and sebberry like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#50 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

^^ Where are our manners?

Welcome to VibrantVictoria Ramone.

My phone doesnt show if its a first post so its not my manners its my androud
  • Sparky likes this

#51 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

I looked her up in the old TC archives. There were a couple of articles from the late 90s detailing her terrible teen years and how she triumphed over adversity to become a positive, cheerful, educated young woman with a bright future. The TC's Jim Gibson put her together in the same sentence with Rob Fleming as young people with a promising political future ahead of them.

IMO, I think it is a beautiful thing how she has the ability and freedom to run. I understand entirely that it is incredibly unfair to the other candidates and can prolong the political process, but that is just what happens in a free country with democracy. 

The above comment by Holden West is really fascinating and I would love to hear more about her story. Who knows, maybe she raises a valid point in all of that yelling. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#52 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

IMO, I think it is a beautiful thing how she has the ability and freedom to run. I understand entirely that it is incredibly unfair to the other candidates and can prolong the political process, but that is just what happens in a free country with democracy. 

The above comment by Holden West is really fascinating and I would love to hear more about her story. Who knows, maybe she raises a valid point in all of that yelling. 

Come on, everyone has a story. She was just being nasty and belligerent. Validity goes out the window when you're needlessly screaming and taking the whole room hostage like that.

Edited by gumgum, 17 October 2014 - 11:29 PM.

• Jill, Bingo and John M. like this

#53 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

But look at all the attention she got ....anyone who watched the news now knows her name....

#54 MarkMcInnes

MarkMcInnes
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

I feel bad.

At the same, I like that no one here is taking a really voyeuristic view of this. She is a nice person, after having met her a few times, and seeing her behave in this way is concerning.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

She clearly needs help and she'll definitely receive the attention she needs over this.

Cries for help come in many forms.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

Generally with political debates the hosts do their best to invite only the "serious" candidates, which can often be quite controversial because there's always some cut off and some candidate that didn't quite make the cut.  It's very inclusive that these talks are open to everyone on the ballot, but would it really be jack-booted fascism to maybe trim the list down a little?  Less joke or fringe candidates means more time for the voters to actually hear from and judge the candidates that might be running the city for the next few years.

• John M. likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#57 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

^ A conundrum in a democracy, eh Baro?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

The Chamber of Commerce hosts debates and they say it's our place, our members, our rules--we can invite who we want and we're inviting only the candiates we are interested in. They are open to the public so that does not stop fringe candidates from door-crashing and causing a ruckus which has happened there before. Fringe candidates claim it's not fair but this is not a public forum. A private club can do as they please.

Sometimes these fringe candidates have important things to say--Changes the Clown and child poverty, Steve Filopovic and voter apathy and turnout for example. Riga has important first-hand knowledge of the devastating cycle of poverty, drugs and crime and I just wish she could get it together and articulate her views.

In some ways it's easier listening to Riga than it is listening to a few self-righteous Victorians I know that actually think the realistic solution to crime, drugs and homelessness is to lock them away permanently or float them out to sea on a leaky barge.

Edited by Holden West, 18 October 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• MarkMcInnes likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#59 Ramone

Ramone
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Sparky

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

If someone isn't capable of getting their message across in a civil and respectful manner regardless of their plight, then the sad truth is that no one will listen. Those are the cold hard facts.
  • John M. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users