Investment Ideas

• Please log in to reply
763 replies to this topic

#761 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,440 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

You make it sound like it’s not possible to make money in the stock market. Of course a 500% return in the short term is a fluke. However, well chosen stocks over the medium or long term can do quite well for people. My Apple investment in my 20’s helped me build my house in my 40’s! I like picking stocks of companies that interest me. So it’s not hard to keep up on them. Usually I use their products or services. It’s a lot less risky than real estate in many ways. I don’t have to pony up $500k for one stock that requires maintenance and is constantly taxed, is not transparent as to it’s value, can become illiquid for long periods, can get swallowed by sinkholes, etc. Not many talk about those that lose their shirts in real estate either.

I was with you until that line... jeez!

#762 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

I was with you until that line... jeez!

You don't have a sense of humour.... Wait a minute, it's not really that funny for some...

Sechelt sinkholes leave homeowners with potentially worthless homes

https://vancouversun...orthless-houses

#763 tjv

tjv
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

You make it sound like it’s not possible to make money in the stock market. Of course a 500% return in the short term is a fluke. However, well chosen stocks over the medium or long term can do quite well for people. My Apple investment in my 20’s helped me build my house in my 40’s! I like picking stocks of companies that interest me. So it’s not hard to keep up on them. Usually I use their products or services. It’s a lot less risky than real estate in many ways. I don’t have to pony up $500k for one stock that requires maintenance and is constantly taxed, is not transparent as to it’s value, can become illiquid for long periods, can get swallowed by sinkholes, etc. Not many talk about those that lose their shirts in real estate either.

Of course its possible to make money in the stock market, but most people make 8-12% per year, not 500% in a short term play.  the ones who make the later are playing high risk and they could be up 40% one day and down 80% the next.

If I recall correctly Warren Buffett said to tax 100% of income derived from stocks held less than 1 year

#764 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

Of course its possible to make money in the stock market, but most people make 8-12% per year, not 500% in a short term play. the ones who make the later are playing high risk and they could be up 40% one day and down 80% the next.

If I recall correctly Warren Buffett said to tax 100% of income derived from stocks held less than 1 year

If you are getting 8-12% a year you are doing well enough. I enjoy picking even though the mustachians vilify it. I personally spread my investments across a risk spectrum because I have made bad calls and know how to lose money too. They aren’t even bad calls, it’s just that the world can be unpredictable sometimes. I will always take my money out and put it somewhere else when a stock doubles though. A move I always regret somewhat on the winners but then remind myself that’s why it was easy to hold them....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.