Saanich

• Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

As with the Lisa Helps Thread, I have started a thread dedicated to discussing the Mayor and Council of Saanich. Please continue any discussion of the current actions of the Saanich Mayor here:

http://vibrantvictor...cussion-thread/

Only post items related to the 2014 election of Richard Atwell in this thread.

Thank you,

Mod Team

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:19 AM

You just cannot make this stuff up. The new Mayor doesn't keep regular office hours - unbelievable!

http://www.timescolo...ation-1.1705423

Edited by spanky123, 06 January 2015 - 06:33 AM.

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

Sources say that police were called to the home of an Atwell campaign supporter about 11 p.m. on Dec. 11.

Atwell, who had been sworn in as mayor 10 days earlier, had apparently been in the home with the woman when her fiancé arrived. Sources say an altercation between Atwell and the man ensued and police were called.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.yAI6nCFF.dpuf

Very unwise. Even if Atwell is the innocent victim of a paranoid and delusional husband, he should know that in politics you can't merely close your eyes and hope allegations disappear.

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

Very unwise. Even if Atwell is the innocent victim of a paranoid and delusional husband, he should know that in politics you can't merely close your eyes and hope allegations disappear.

Or refuse to respond to the media and hope that they get bored and go elsewhere.

#25 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

I wonder if Atwell operates with definitions of "open" and "transparent" that are completely unique to him.

#26 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

I wonder if Atwell operates with definitions of "open" and "transparent" that are completely unique to him.

Don't all politicians?

• Nparker likes this

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

Atwell should have a press conference. This isnt good for optics regardless or what did or did not go on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

Don't all politicians?

Yeah but usually it takes more than a few days in office before it becomes apparent.

Helps, Isitt and Loveday should get t-shirts that state "and you thought that we were the crazy ones".

• Rob Randall, sebberry, Jill and 1 other like this

#29 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

I'm confused about the police reaction too.  Instead of just saying they can't comment, tell us why.  Ongoing investigation?  If not, simply say they attended, and the situation did not call for charges and all parties - police and the three people there - have agreed that it's no longer an issue.

Yeah the police are certainly being obtuse about this which is making it far more of a story. I am wondering if Atwell has burnt a few more bridges then we already know about or if he has had his lawyers contacting the police.

CHEK is running a segment on this tonight with or without the Mayor. Perhaps more info will be coming then.

Edited by spanky123, 06 January 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Yeah the police are certainly being obtuse about this which is making it far more of a story. I am wondering if Atwell has burnt a few more bridges then we already know about or if he has had his lawyers contacting the police.

CHEK is running a segment on this tonight with or without the Mayor. Perhaps more info will be coming then.

Ya, and it's at least online in the Vancouver papers now, if not in print yet.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

Ya, and it's at least online in the Vancouver papers now, if not in print yet.

Just need video of a reporter chasing Atwell down the street for a comment and it will become the shortest Mayoral run in Saanich history!

• Mixed365 likes this

#32 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Maybe he thinks it only applies to his role as Mayor of Saanich. Not a fan of Atwell, but even less a fan of tabloid journalism.

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

Maybe he thinks it only applies to his role as Mayor of Saanich. Not a fan of Atwell, but even less a fan of tabloid journalism.

To be fair, the media hasn't speculated on what might have happened--they merely stated the facts of the matter. And you must agree--it would be irresponsible of the media to look away at ayn incident involving police and the mayor.

• Jill likes this

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

CHEK news is reporting that the case is now closed and no charges are pending. 

#35 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

Just need video of a reporter chasing Atwell down the street for a comment and it will become the shortest Mayoral run in Saanich history!

Marg Delahunty is a crack reporter...oops.
  • Nparker likes this

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

A day has gone by and no press release or statement. This is reeks of bad news.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

Can we somehow make that Nazi video into a scene inside the home of his campaign supporter?
  • Nparker and Mixed365 like this

Know it all.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

Can we somehow make that Nazi video into a scene inside the home of his campaign supporter?

Not that house, but .... Hitler could be the (male) fiancee, and he's looking at a map of his (female) fiancees home neighbourhood, and determines that Atwell could be there this evening at 11:30pm, based on his home address, and that of his campaign office?

• Nparker and Mixed365 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

Haha! There we go.

Know it all.

#40 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

The staff at the municipal hall can't tell the media when he'll be available, because he doesn't keep regular hours and they don't know when he'll be in his office. They'd have to give the same response to a Saanich resident trying to contact the mayor.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users