Richard Atwell | Saanich | Mayor

Saanich

• Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

#601 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

Most of council have open facebook pages so you don't need to friend them. Having said that, Colin Plant has about 900 supporters who have "liked him". Richard Atwell has a closed group with about 400 members.

Sure, I guess my point was how many people are going to go to a particular councilperson's facebook page, even if they knew it existed?

And would they go there to find out info about the city or would they first go to a city webpage?

And finally, how many people even know the council members names, the mayor, sure, maybe one or two councillors tops.

People go to facebook to see the latest pics of the their grandkid, or somebody's pet doing something cute, not for any hard information, at least IMO.

• Nparker and Bingo like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#602 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

^ Speaking of facebook, Atwell continues to promote the Watkiss Way site and Alex V. was on Ian Jessop's show yesterday pitching his cause.

Sounds like this is not over yet.

Edited by spanky123, 29 July 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#603 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

Strange guy

http://www.timescolo...curve-1.2141691

Continues to bash public servants and council in the media. Refuses to give his wife's name to the TC although he published it in his campaign bio!

Right or wrong, TC coverage hasn't been glowing in the past so I am surprised that he gave them 90 minutes.

#604 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

I'd say his hubris had a lot to do with his bumpy start.

#605 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Agree. Politics isn't easy but many outsiders have no grasp of the pace and complexity of the job. Leonard made it look easy but he is a pro.
Atwell in particular does not seem to have had much grasp of the demands or the role.
I don't like professional politicians but I also don't like people who think success in one sphere automatically translates to competence in politics.

#606 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

For me, I kind of admire someone that looks at the system and says it can be better and then attempts to do something about it. Most people that complain do just that and only just that.

Leonard was pompous. If you were not on his list of chums and insiders you were ignored. I don't get that feeling from Atwell.

#607 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:21 PM

There are a lot of cities suffering from hostility among mayor, staff and council. But I doubt you could find an example anywhere in North America where an incoming rookie Mayor was subjected to that level of suspicion and abuse. Even if you hate Atwell you must admit the arrows coming from all sides was remarkable: police harassment, staff's offsite PowerPoint, the spyware conspiracy among others. Unprecedented.
  • http and jonny like this

#608 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

There are a lot of cities suffering from hostility among mayor, staff and council. But I doubt you could find an example anywhere in North America where an incoming rookie Mayor was subjected to that level of suspicion and abuse. Even if you hate Atwell you must admit the arrows coming from all sides was remarkable: police harassment, staff's offsite PowerPoint, the spyware conspiracy among others. Unprecedented.

Yes there does seem to be something in the CRD water that mayors are drinking.

#609 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:57 AM

For all of the hoopla about spyware, the PC has not followed up on any of her plans to create a governance model and Saanich hasn't implement any of her recommendations (according to Atwell). Nevertheless, we now seem to be functioning without incident.

#610 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:31 AM

Justin Altmann, mayor of Whitchurch-Stouffville, has assembled a wall of photos in his office bathroom that features "past and present council members, political rivals, town employees, and even residents who take an interest in local government that was discovered in his office washroom." The photo of a woman who runs a Facebook page on local politics is also included, as is one of a Toronto Star reporter. The mayor says this is to help him "get to the bottom of what he describes as a nasty smear campaign against him." He says he's endured "very, very monstrous" harassment and bullying since his election in 2014. He's received multiple "nasty letters of hatred" and unflattering information about him has been circulated to businesses, residents, and other politicians. He also says he's been followed, he and his family and supporters receive harassing phone calls, and his tires were deflated.

In March a municipal employee discovered the photo wall. The mayor says he is shedding tears of relief that this is under investigation by the integrity commissioner "because I have had no means to tell my story.” (When will the cruel and terrible silencing of political leaders end?)

Interestingly, staff turnover has been high since Altmann's election, with 42 staffing changes (our of staff of 470). Four city managers and four human resource managers (including the one hired to find a solution to the staffing crisis) have left or been dismissed. Here's what one CAO wrote when he resigned: “I won’t accept aggressive behaviour or threats of being sued/harassment charges on the phone,” the letter reads. “It’s very disappointing that this is what staff have to endure at the municipal offices.”

Prior to this, Altmann received some media attention for inviting the entire town to his wedding.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...hroom-1.4193731

https://www.thestar....-of-photos.html

https://www.yorkregi...-s-resignation/

#611 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Here’s who’s on Stouffville mayor’s ‘creepy’ washroom wall of photos

Whitchurch-Stouffville Mayor Justin Altmann calls a collection of photos featuring politicians, residents and former employees in his office washroom a “mind map.” The Star has tracked down who these people are. Some of them called it “troubling.”

https://www.thestar....-of-photos.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#612 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

The thought of this guy sitting on the john, contemplating his "mind map" and trying to figure out who is against him and why cracks me up. I wonder what he plans to do when he finally puts all the pieces together.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#613 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

What does this have to do with Atwell Saanich Mayor?

• spanky123 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users