Photo

Queen's Printer is closing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

The Queen’s Printer in Victoria, the 155-year-old Crown agency that produces documents for the B.C. government, is closing its printing operation.

The closing will save money and printing jobs will shift to the private sector, the province said.

http://www.timescolo...inter-1.1429879

#2 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

I like that building, hope it survives. In the development plan for that block, it was excluded wasn't it?

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

^Yes, demolition of that building is impossible. It was recently renovated.

• Bingo likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

I'm surprised it took so long for the government to get out of the printing business. 

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

So much is already outsourced. It's not really a business the government wants to be in because the days of the usefulness of the old fashioned printing press are over. Now it's all digital and large format and those machines aren't cheap. Some of those colour Xerox copy machines can cost over $100,000.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of that building. It will be the crown jewel of that block surrounded by new office development.

Edited by Holden West, 17 October 2014 - 10:00 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

Just a matter of time before Office Products Centre goes this route as well

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

...It will be interesting to see what becomes of that building. It will be the crown jewel of that block surrounded by new office development.

According to the T-C story some 30 QP staff will remain at the Superior Street location.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

Just a matter of time before Office Products Centre goes this route as well

That has already happened. No official direction has been given in regards to ordering supplies in gov't yet.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

According to the T-C story some 30 QP staff will remain at the Superior Street location.

Because you can outsource all you want but you still need experienced staff to co-ordinate everything. They could probably be crammed upstairs freeing the downstairs for office or retail. 

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

I'm surprised it took so long for the government to get out of the printing business. 

They talked about privatizing it in the 1980's.

#11 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Well trhere isnt much left in BC government that isnt privatized

In the 80s they didnt away with Highways Dept. and Parks

Now if only they do away with BC Ferries and let a private company takes over....fire each and every ferry employee and run it like the Blackball Line...no frills no BS

Oh and while I am on the subject of BC ferries can we expect the Fuel charge to be gone starting this afternoon....the prce of a barrel of oil after all is about $80 and gasoline prices has dropped by 10 per litre at gas stations.

#12 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Now if only they do away with BC Ferries and let a private company takes over....fire each and every ferry employee and run it like the Blackball Line...no frills no BS

Oh and while I am on the subject of BC ferries can we expect the Fuel charge to be gone starting this afternoon....the prce of a barrel of oil after all is about $80 and gasoline prices has dropped by 10 per litre at gas stations.

Careful what you wish for, I took a private ferry to Nantucket near Boston recently that was about the size of a gulf island ferry.  Crossing time was 2 hours and 15 min.  Passengers are $17.50 each way and cars are $140 each way.  It was no frills and even the dock workers had to manually crank the car loading deck up and down.

I am not disagreeing with you about lower our expectations on BC Ferries, just don't expect a no frills private operator to be any cheaper

• Nparker likes this

#13 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Now if only they do away with BC Ferries and let a private company takes over.

I don't see anything stopping a private company coming in and offering a competitive service.

#14 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

Yes, because Black Ball with their 60 year old ferry is so much cheaper than BCF. 

Passenger: $17.50 (BB) vs $16.25 (BCF)

Vehicle & Driver: $62.00 (BB) vs $69.50 (BCF)

Wonder what BB fares are going to be when they finally have to replace the M.V. Coho?

#15 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

The BB ferry is taken out of service each and every year and put in drydock for a refits and other maintenace and a paint job.  Yes every single year.

BC ferries on the  other hand puts their vessels in drydock on an "as and when needed" basis which is usually when the crash into something and bend  a prop blade

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

It will be interesting to see what becomes of that building. It will be the crown jewel of that block surrounded by new office development.

The building is very solid. Back when all the heavy equipment was still being used, the entire composing department was on the second floor.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

Remind me, what frills are we talking about?

#18 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

BC ferries on the  other hand puts their vessels in drydock on an "as and when needed" basis which is usually when the crash into something and bend  a prop blade

OT, but this is totally and 100% false.

I've always thought that Queen's Printer building was butt ugly. Maybe I need to look at it more closely.

#19 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

Its got a new paint job

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

IMG_5980.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users