Constructing an Owner-Built Home in Greater Victoria - Personal Experience

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#201 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

I guess it has been a month since the last update!  Exterior envelope is almost finished and things are slowly progressing inside.  Owner-building a home would be awesome if I was retired or worked a part-time job.  The decision making in terms of the finishing components and dealing with the various obstacles is getting to be a little exhausting while working full+ time.

Video commentary #23 -> https://www.youtube....h?v=YcZxSXvJVNo

Video commentary #24 -> https://www.youtube....h?v=jIbXnEe9M8A

IMG_5385 (1).JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

Going with glass on the railing

IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

Tile in bathrooms is coming along

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

Went with heated tile floors in the kitchen

IMG_5373.JPG

Pantry Detail 

IMG_5375.JPG

Edited by MarkoJ, 24 June 2015 - 03:12 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry and Jill like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#202 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Looking great Marko. Seeing that full of wine bottles will be the clincher on the kitchen!

#203 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Making progress, slowly, but surely.

Video commentary #25 - https://youtu.be/8TtW1oS_JDw

Video commentary #26 - https://youtu.be/6DXzc6HM2RA

Video commentary #27 - https://youtu.be/9nR62B6ySlU

Kitchen almost finished.  Few more upper cabinets needs to be installed, backsplash, hoodfan, and appliances are arriving in two weeks.

IMG_5607.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

Living room coming along

IMG_5610.JPG

Glass for staircase should be arriving next week

IMG_5611.JPG

All the bathrooms we went with totally different colour schemes just for fun

IMG_5614.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

All 8' doors almost finished with hardware

Closets going in

Attached Images

• IMG_5616.JPG
  • IMG_5615.JPG

• Nparker likes this

#204 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

The stand-up tub is a novel concept. How does one keep the water in it long enough to bathe?  ;)

• sebberry likes this

#205 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

Looking great! Is that a larger than standard size master bedroom door?

#206 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

The stand-up tub is a novel concept. How does one keep the water in it long enough to bathe?  ;)

The room is actually on its side and the photo was rotated.  The real question is how do you poop straight?

• Nparker and lanforod like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:00 AM

The room is actually on its side and the photo was rotated.

So this is the correct orientation then? 

post-1484-0-20351700-1436543673.jpg

#208 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

He hasn't adjusted the tree-art yet...

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#209 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

Updated exterior photos....working on the cedar details.  The facade is first grade cedar and to keep on budget I went with lower grade cedar for the soffit (has a lot more knots, etc.)

IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

Edited by MarkoJ, 12 July 2015 - 08:28 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#210 Thatcher Smith

Thatcher Smith
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:46 AM

Suppose you had just specced out the home in it's entirety and turned the job over to a contractor, how much more would it have cost you in percentage terms?  Would there possibly been fewer delays in that case (you had mentioned unavailability of certain tradesmen at critical times)?  Would a contractor have had to commit to a completion date with related penalties, thus making your move-in date more predictable?

#211 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

Suppose you had just specced out the home in it's entirety and turned the job over to a contractor, how much more would it have cost you in percentage terms?  Would there possibly been fewer delays in that case (you had mentioned unavailability of certain tradesmen at critical times)?  Would a contractor have had to commit to a completion date with related penalties, thus making your move-in date more predictable?

Most general contractors build custom homes at cost plus 12% to 15% management fee.  So $500,000 construction cost = $60,000 to $75,000 for the management component.

Huge developers (Bosa, Chard, Concert) rarely deliver buildings without a 1 to 3 months delay so with a single family general contractor you probably wouldn't get too many guarantees either.  A lot of things are also beyond the contractors control such as the client taking their sweet time to pick out flooring, light fixtures, etc., which may put things behind schedule.

It's not just the unavailability of trades (I use that as a loose general term).  It is a lot more complicated than that because price and quality need to be factored into the equation.  If you are willing to pay top dollar for sub-par quality than things would probably move forward without delays.

For example, let's say you want to frame a 4,500 sq/ft house and you call three framing contractors.  

Quote #1:  $27,000+GST, says he has a crew of three carpenters, no recent reference as he just came back from Alberta,  can start next week.

Quote #2: $33,500+GST, says he has a crew of four, you visit a current job site and the work is okay, everything is reasonably square/straight but not perfect.  Has two more small houses to frame, can start in 4 to 6 weeks but can't give specific date.

Quote #3: $44,000+GST, huge crew, currently finishing up custom home in Uplands, work done to perfection.  Can start in three weeks.

Which one do you go with?

Framing is relatively easy because you aren't carry much cost....but let's say you are towards the end of a project, paying rent somewhere, carrying a $600,000 mortgage, for example, and the home still isn't finished.  Makes it even tougher balancing quotes/timing/etc.

#212 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

No contractor is going to commit to a completion date with penalties, unless he tacks on 3 months to the estimated completion date. Too many things can happen to interfere. Our house ran 6 weeks over estimate and all we got was a nice steak dinner.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#213 Thatcher Smith

Thatcher Smith
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:08 PM

Thank-you for that Marko.

#214 Thatcher Smith

Thatcher Smith
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

LJ - would you be willing to share any more of your experience with constructing your home?  Is there perhaps a forum of some type where people exchange information on this?

#215 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

LJ - would you be willing to share any more of your experience with constructing your home?  Is there perhaps a forum of some type where people exchange information on this?

Problem is home construction experience will vary significantly by location.  They probably don't have to worry about rain screen in Phoenix, for example.  Online car forums are super useful for experiences/tips as a BMW 435i in New York is the same BMW 435i in San Fran and Victoria.  

#216 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

my thoughts:
purchase land- I do not need a agent to save money.
foundation-go thru tender
framing -go thru tender
plumbing/electrical- could go thru tender or just call names from the phone book.( well, every time I saw a new house is being building up, I go and ask for contact person for the job they are doing)- so far, I have collected at least 7 good contacts.

roofing-go thru tender
dry wall-go thru tender

I have never done those jobs before, but Google is your friend, I do have some project management skills thru work in IT. Not much difference.

#217 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

^ there is a lot more to it than that!

#218 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

my thoughts:
purchase land- I do not need a agent to save money.
foundation-go thru tender
framing -go thru tender
plumbing/electrical- could go thru tender or just call names from the phone book.( well, every time I saw a new house is being building up, I go and ask for contact person for the job they are doing)- so far, I have collected at least 7 good contacts.

roofing-go thru tender
dry wall-go thru tender

I have never done those jobs before, but Google is your friend, I do have some project management skills thru work in IT. Not much difference.

If you live in an area where new homes are being constructed it is pretty easy to see the difference between good crews, tradesmen, and the not so good. Go to the good ones and talk to the tradesmen and see what their attitude is like and whether you could work with them or not. It's not perfect but it is certainly better than going through the phone book.

A good contractor will have crews that work for him all the time and they are pretty reliable. Siding crews are the most unreliable in my experience. Go to a work site on payday and see how many wives show up to take hold of the paycheck before it gets spent elsewhere, always a bit of a tip off.

Oh, and you are not going to save any money buying land without an agent, they get paid by the seller.

Edited by LJ, 20 July 2015 - 07:39 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#219 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hoping to move in by end of August at this point....

Video commentary #28 - https://www.youtube....h?v=ES0JscEmvcc

Preping to do the driveway (will do a portion in stamped concrete and portion in paving stones).

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

Spare bathrooms were done on a budget almost entirely sourced at costco....costco vanity, costco toilet, $399 costco Maxx bathtub, costco glass enclosure, shower head $399, etc., etc.  Looks have decent.

IMG_5780.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG

Kitchen seems to be a never ending project.

IMG_5782.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG

IMG_5784.JPG

Ductless heatpump heads are installed

IMG_5785.JPG

Went with glass on both staircases.

IMG_5788.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

And once agained, totally varied up the themes in the bathrooms.

IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

• sebberry likes this

#220 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

Coming along beautifully! 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users