Photo

Constructing an Owner-Built Home in Greater Victoria - Personal Experience

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#61 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

We have the big Honeywells for our baseboards and we think they are great.  They have four times a day they can change their temp, and weekends can be set differently, so we set them to warm up when we come home, cool a bit after bed time, warm up again before wakeup time, and cool again when we leave.  Weekends they just warm up in the AM and keep the same temp all day.  Having it different for each room is great because different family members go to sleep at different times.  

#62 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

I have the Honeywells as well.  The only problem is the 15 second heat cycle.  My older heaters makes lots of noise when they're switched on and off and expand/contract.  In fact they often wake me up.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#63 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,242 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

I've never felt the need for air conditioning. All you need is some shade and ventilation. This ain't Phoenix... It's not to late for you to apply some design principles to minimize your need to consume so much energy to keep your home comfortable. http://passivedesign...useconcept.html
  • Bingo, Dimitrios and Mr Cook Street like this

#64 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

I have the Honeywells as well. The only problem is the 15 second heat cycle. My older heaters makes lots of noise when they're switched on and off and expand/contract. In fact they often wake me up.

The ones we have have the variable voltage and once the room is at temperature they don't make any noise because they are kept at 1/4 power or so.

Edited by jklymak, 15 November 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

The ones we have have the variable voltage and once the room is at temperature they don't make any noise because they are kept at 1/4 power or so.

Which ones do you have?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

We have screened windows that we can open and close to control the temperature, and earplugs to cut out the noise when the blinds start crashing around during a gale. 

#67 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

We have screened windows that we can open and close to control the temperature, and earplugs to cut out the noise when the blinds start crashing around during a gale. 

Just closing your windows tonight isn't going to keep you warm ;).

#68 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

Just closing your windows tonight isn't going to keep you warm ;).

That reminds me, I have to pull the trim around my bedroom window and seal/caulk it.  It's drafty as heck!

#69 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:04 AM

Which ones do you have?

http://yourhome.hone...ts/thermostats/  RLV4300A

http://www.homedepot...ermostat/903033

They aren't silent, but they don't go off every 15 minutes either.

Edited by jklymak, 16 November 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#70 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:25 AM

Yep, those are the ones I have.  They operate on 15 second cycles. The t-stat itself is silent, it's the heater that's constantly expanding/contracting.

#71 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

Hmmm. Ours don't do that Maybe yours are on a relay so they only come on past a certain voltage? Our old thrermostat was binary and it made the baseboards really noisy. With the new thermostats only make noise when they come on.

#72 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

Right from the manual - so it's likely your heaters are newer than mine and aren't getting creaky in their old age.

**** Generally set to 15-second cycle (Std) as it provides better temperature control. However,
set to 5-minute cycle (Fan) if you have a fan-forced heater to prevent premature fan motor
burnout. Fan appears on the thermostat’s screen when 5-minute cycle is selected.

#73 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

Do yours ever show just one flame versus 4? Ours crank on at 4 and then idle at 1 on cold days all day.

#74 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

It varies the intensity, but it still cycles at those intensities.  They cycle to reduce temperature fluctuations and offer more precise temperature control.

#75 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

Right but a hot baseboard won't need to reexpand after 15 s of being off.

#76 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

Again, probably something to do with the older heater design.  Newer heaters are likely made so they can expand and contract a little more quietly.

I'm not the only one who notices it: http://www.digitalho...ad.php?t=147705

#77 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

Marko:  I've singlehandedly steered this thread way OT.  If you'd like the discussion trimmed back a bit let me know, else we'll continue our little side discussions as we await updates :)

#78 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

All this Honeywell controls talk was not for naught! I, too, installed these same programmable baseboard heater controls for all our bedrooms and a few other rooms - and wasn't aware of the Advanced Settings. So thank you to whomever mentioned it - I now don't have to adjust for DST, nor the Easy Startup (or whatever it is called) and have set our one that controls fan-forced baseboard heaters to the 'fan' option although I am not sure it really matters for them cause the actual fans don't turn on until the heat has been ON for a while.

Edited by LocalMom, 17 November 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#79 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

Yep, those are the ones I have.  They operate on 15 second cycles. The t-stat itself is silent, it's the heater that's constantly expanding/contracting.

Boy I am not familiar with this at all. Why are the coming on every 15 seconds, wouldn't they just come on when heat was required? From what I gather these are meant to keep the temp at a constant level +/- .15 degree. Is that why they are cycling so often? I think I would go back to the old mercury switch and let the temp change a couple of degrees before they came on.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#80 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

I've had to switch a few thermostats to a fan option before, I remember needing a little needle to access the advanced set up by pushing a little reset like button.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users